Allowable waistband for bhikkhu?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
JamesTheGiant

Re: Allowable waistband for bhikkhu?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

asahi wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:03 am And in the west they have this shop ?

:thanks:
I've only seen them in Thailand, I assume they're in Sri Lanka and other Buddhist countries too.
Laypeople in western countries often order from the shops online. Everything is on eBay of course.
Here's one shop in Bangkok I've visited. Prices in Bhat, bowls starting from $50.
http://www.toodong.com/index.php
asahi

Post by asahi »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:19 am
asahi wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:03 am And in the west they have this shop ?

:thanks:
I've only seen them in Thailand, I assume they're in Sri Lanka and other Buddhist countries too.
Laypeople in western countries often order from the shops online. Everything is on eBay of course.
Here's one shop in Bangkok I've visited. Prices in Bhat, bowls starting from $50.
http://www.toodong.com/index.php
Do you reads thais ? I see the link all in thai .
No bashing No gossiping
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Chris777 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:56 am
User13866 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:44 am
Chris777 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:37 pm Thanks for your reply [name redacted by admin].
I guess that means i don't have to rip open the seams of the cloth then?
I wouldn't, may it last you a long time.
I am grateful for your help [name redacted by admin]. May you be well.

Just this morning i took some thread to stitch up some part of that cloth as well.
I am happy that you share your experience with us Bhante.

It is great that we can learn in this way.

We don't have all the answers but i am sure we don't get to let every small thing cause us much remorse.

May you also last a long, long time Ayasma.
BKh

Post by BKh »

If I recall correctly, in the Ajahn Chah (western?) tradition, monks will often (always?) cover the flat part of the woven belt with regular robe cloth.

In Sri Lanka you will often see belts made entirely out of cloth, but instead of being the same width from end to end, they will have narrow strips where the cord is on the woven belt you showed. So, all cloth, but shaped like the woven belt. Monks will also just use a piece of cloth that is the same width from end to end.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |