The 7 Days Sword Time

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Kusala

Re: The 7 Days Sword Time

Post by Kusala »

Kusala wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:02 am
Radix wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:38 am
Kusala wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:50 amIt all started to make sense to me when I discovered that Krishna was actually "Mara"(according to Buddhism).
I wasn't aware of that. I know Hindus have incorporated the Buddha, presenting him as an incarnation of Vishnu. Different Hindu sects then have different evaluations of this; some say Vishnu incarnated himself as the Buddha in order to bring people away from their destructive habits, while other sects say he did it to confuse those who don't believe in Vishnu.
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Kusala wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:58 pm
Radix wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:38 am

I wasn't aware of that. I know Hindus have incorporated the Buddha, presenting him as an incarnation of Vishnu. Different Hindu sects then have different evaluations of this; some say Vishnu incarnated himself as the Buddha in order to bring people away from their destructive habits, while other sects say he did it to confuse those who don't believe in Vishnu.
Buddha was in tusita heaven prior to coming to earth
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:49 am
Kusala wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:58 pm
Buddha was in tusita heaven prior to coming to earth
@2:24 - 4:05

He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

Radix

Post by Radix »

Kusala wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:58 pm/.../
I'm not sure it is actually possible to "bamboozle" someone. It's not like, in this case, the small children of Hindu parents were good, innocent, wise (!) people, and then then some evil external force tricked them into believing in Vishnu and worshipping him.

Similarly, many politicians, journalists, and various "influencers" are working hard on spreading the idea that people are "buying into lies".

It is not my impression that people would be that easy to manipulate, that easy to handle, that easy to turn from being good, innocent, and wise into fools or bandits.

When people believe in something and worship it, this is in some important way exactly what they want to do, and not because they were tricked into it.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Radix wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:40 pm
Kusala wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:58 pm/.../
I'm not sure it is actually possible to "bamboozle" someone. It's not like, in this case, the small children of Hindu parents were good, innocent, wise (!) people, and then then some evil external force tricked them into believing in Vishnu and worshipping him.

Similarly, many politicians, journalists, and various "influencers" are working hard on spreading the idea that people are "buying into lies".

It is not my impression that people would be that easy to manipulate, that easy to handle, that easy to turn from being good, innocent, and wise into fools or bandits.

When people believe in something and worship it, this is in some important way exactly what they want to do, and not because they were tricked into it.

" '... Rahula, when anyone feels no shame in telling a deliberate lie, there is no evil, I tell you, he will not do. Thus, Rahula, you should train yourself, 'I will not tell a deliberate lie even in jest.' "

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

Radix

Post by Radix »

Kusala wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:48 pm/.../
Various advertisers, propagandists, and other influencers greatly overestimate their impact on other people.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Milinda

Post by Milinda »

I think atheistic-IV Industrial revolution is leading us into a total world-slavery. That new crypto conventional money is just the beginin.
Where everything will be digital. And 'they' will kick a lot of people from 'their' system.

A tecnological tyranni covered as a liberal democracy who respect all minorities.

:shrug: