The 7 Days Sword Time

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Kusala

The 7 Days Sword Time

Post by Kusala »

This is my last doom and gloom thread...NATO's planned nuclear exercises https://www.activistpost.com/2022/10/na ... -week.html and the decline in life expectancy https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/nchs ... 220831.htm got me thinking of Ajahn Punnadhammo's talk...

This piqued my interest...10:37 - 21:42 Call it a myth or whatever, but with all the stuff going on in the world, one can't help but wonder if "the future" is already here....

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
SarathW

Re: The 7 Days Sword Time

Post by SarathW »

Considering the fact that no human today will be alive on this planet in 100 years' time .......
Considering the fact my life span on this planet will be even shorter than that too .............
Considering the fact that the Americans were the first to use nuclear weapons on this planet .....
Considering the fact that a lot of other mad dogs own nuclear weapons too .....
Considering the fact that 99% of humans behave like mad people too ......
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Here is a connection
Then the Blessed One, emerging from his seclusion in the late afternoon, went to the meeting hall and, on arrival, sat down on a seat made ready. As he was sitting there, he addressed the monks: "For what topic of conversation are you gathered together here? In the midst of what topic of conversation have you been interrupted?"

"Just now, lord, after the meal, on returning from our alms round, we gathered at the meeting hall and got engaged in many kinds of bestial topics of conversation: conversation about kings, robbers, & ministers of state; armies, alarms, & battles; food & drink; clothing, furniture, garlands, & scents; relatives; vehicles; villages, towns, cities, the countryside; women & heroes; the gossip of the street & the well; tales of the dead; tales of diversity, the creation of the world & of the sea; talk of whether things exist or not."

"It isn't right, monks, that sons of good families, on having gone forth out of faith from home to the homeless life, should get engaged in such topics of conversation, i.e., conversation about kings, robbers, & ministers of state... talk of whether things exist or not.

"There are these ten topics of [proper] conversation. Which ten? Talk on modesty, on contentment, on seclusion, on non-entanglement, on arousing persistence, on virtue, on concentration, on discernment, on release, and on the knowledge & vision of release. These are the ten topics of conversation. If you were to engage repeatedly in these ten topics of conversation, you would outshine even the sun & moon, so mighty, so powerful — to say nothing of the wanderers of other sects."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

And you shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that you be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Then again I wouldn't be surprised if our Planet looks like Mars if corporations take over.

https://youtu.be/BJa9tgrXn2A
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

SarathW wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:52 pm Considering the fact that no human today will be alive on this planet in 100 years' time .......
Considering the fact my life span on this planet will be even shorter than that too .............
Considering the fact that the Americans were the first to use nuclear weapons on this planet .....
Considering the fact that a lot of other mad dogs own nuclear weapons too .....

Considering the fact that 99% of humans behave like mad people too ......
:thinking:
There's this quote from the father of the atomic bomb...Do you know why this quote is so interesting?

He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

Radix

Post by Radix »

Kusala wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:40 amThere's this quote from the father of the atomic bomb...Do you know why this quote is so interesting?
What did you have in mind? Because it's from the Bhagavad Gita? Because Oppenheimer was a bit of a Hindu? Because he didn't believe in rebirth/reincarnation? ...
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Mahabrahma wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:26 pm And you shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that you be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
As the Ajahn mentioned in the video, when "incest" become the norm and human beings lose all sense of right and wrong, that's when the world will cease to exist. You know the world is messed up when people think gender is a "social construct"...

Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Radix wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:05 pm
Kusala wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:40 amThere's this quote from the father of the atomic bomb...Do you know why this quote is so interesting?
What did you have in mind? Because it's from the Bhagavad Gita? Because Oppenheimer was a bit of a Hindu? Because he didn't believe in rebirth/reincarnation?
It all started to make sense to me when I discovered that Krishna was actually "Mara"(according to Buddhism). https://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2009/07/ ... -lord.html Oppenheimer, like prince Arjuna, was mislead by Krishna(Mara).

“In the 11th verse, both men remain at an impasse, Arjuna asks Krishna to reveal his true cosmic nature. Krishna obliges and metamorphosizes into his godly doomsday embodiment – Krishna transforms into a form with a fiery mouth, innumerable eyes and limbs that seem to contain everything in the universe."

"Oppenheimer’s life has a less heartwarming ending, forever haunted by the consequences of his creation, he couldn’t accept the Bhagavad-Gita’s teaching that destruction is an illusion."

https://jetsettimes.com/eternal-layover ... ous-quote/

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Kusala wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:50 am
What did you have in mind? Because it's from the Bhagavad Gita? Because Oppenheimer was a bit of a Hindu? Because he didn't believe in rebirth/reincarnation?
It all started to make sense to me when I discovered that Krishna was actually "Mara"(according to Buddhism). https://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2009/07/ ... -lord.html Oppenheimer, like prince Arjuna, was mislead by Krishna(Mara).

“In the 11th verse, both men remain at an impasse, Arjuna asks Krishna to reveal his true cosmic nature. Krishna obliges and metamorphosizes into his godly doomsday embodiment – Krishna transforms into a form with a fiery mouth, innumerable eyes and limbs that seem to contain everything in the universe."

"Oppenheimer’s life has a less heartwarming ending, forever haunted by the consequences of his creation, he couldn’t accept the Bhagavad-Gita’s teaching that destruction is an illusion."

Only buddhism have people with right view
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

How is sword game compares with nukes ? May ne people die in nuke except few and world begins agaim to increase population but new generation will have only swords etc
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:58 pm
Kusala wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:50 am

Only buddhism have people with right view
@5:49 - 7:57 Bhante Anandajoti mentioned how some Abrahamic gods are actually "Asuras" makes a lot of sense. The archangel Gabriel who appeared before Muhammad(the founder of Islam) may have been an asura...

Radix

Post by Radix »

Kusala wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:50 amIt all started to make sense to me when I discovered that Krishna was actually "Mara"(according to Buddhism).
I wasn't aware of that. I know Hindus have incorporated the Buddha, presenting him as an incarnation of Vishnu. Different Hindu sects then have different evaluations of this; some say Vishnu incarnated himself as the Buddha in order to bring people away from their destructive habits, while other sects say he did it to confuse those who don't believe in Vishnu.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Radix wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:38 am
Kusala wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:50 amIt all started to make sense to me when I discovered that Krishna was actually "Mara"(according to Buddhism).
I wasn't aware of that. I know Hindus have incorporated the Buddha, presenting him as an incarnation of Vishnu. Different Hindu sects then have different evaluations of this; some say Vishnu incarnated himself as the Buddha in order to bring people away from their destructive habits, while other sects say he did it to confuse those who don't believe in Vishnu.

Radix

Post by Radix »

Kusala wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:02 amImage
The image doesn't show.
Glenn Wallis