Cittaja -rupas are the main cause for Self view to arise.

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
Eko Care

Cittaja -rupas are the main cause for Self view to arise.

Post by Eko Care »

This is a short translation of a small part of a Sinhala Abhidhamma lesson that Venerable Maggavihari gave.
The topic was Cittaja -rupa (mind-born rupas) and there he said Cittaja -rupa are the main cause for one of the Self views to arise. And there are different types of self-views, this is one of them, he explained.
Cittaja Rupa

Cittaja rupas are rupas that are given birth by the Citta.
They are the rupas that give power to the body to work.
Cittaja rupas are the medium that make the connection between the body and mind.
The body is physical and the mind is not physical.
A non-physical thing can not affect a physical thing without using a physical thing.
So the mind generates Cittaja rupas and affect the body through them.

There are 2 ways that the mind affects the body.

The direct way (by Pacchajata-paccaya in 24 causes).
Through a medium (through Cittaja rupas)
In the same way there are 2 ways that the Kamma affects the body.

The direct way (by Kamma-paccaya in 24 causes)
Through a medium (through Kammaja rupas)
There are 75 Cittas that are capable of giving birth to Cittaja rupas.
Out of the 89 Cittas, Dipanca-vinnana 10 and Arupa-vipaka 4 don’t give birth to Cittaja rupas.
Cittaja rupas are born not only by Citta. They are born by whole Cittuppada (Cita + Cetasika combination).
In order Cittaja rupas to arise, there must already be a rupa-santati (generation of Rupas) as well. Otherwise they don’t arise.

Cittaja-rupas are not generated by Patisandhi-cita and Cuti-citta.
Cittaja-rupas are not generated in Asanna loka, since there is no mind.
Cittaja-rupas are not generated in Arupa loka, since there is no alredy born rupa-santati.

A momentary Cittuppada (Cita + Cetasika combination) has 3 sub-moments called uppada, thiti and bhanga.
The Cittuppada generates Cittaja-rupas only in its Uppada-khana (arising-moment).
A Cittuppada is strong only in its Uppada-khana.

When the mind is pleasant, it generates the beneficial Cittaja-rupas.
When the mind is unpleasant, it generates the harmful Cittaja-rupas.
That is why people become ill if they keep unpleasant thoughts for a long time.
If a pregnant mother keeps unpleasant thoughts for a long time, it affects the health of the child as well.

Some acariyas have used the “nature of the cittaja-rupas” even as a measure to evaluate whether a mind is kusala or akusala.

There is another fact that is very important about Cittaja-rupas.
Cittaja-rupas are the main factor that contribute to the arising of “Doer-view (karaka-ditthi)” in beings.
There are several types of “Vasavattana (hegemony)” mentioned in Theravada. One of them is the view of “I keep my postures under my authority” and that is what I’m here talking about.

When I was on a pilgrimage in India, one of the Indians asked me what the Buddhism mainly says. Then I replyied that Buddhism teaches Anicca-dukkha-anatta. Then he said it is impossible this Anatta to be he natue of the world. I asked why? "If I want to raise my hand then I can raise, if I want I put down, it is under the hegemony of myself, so it is Atta, how do you say it is anatta, there is a self. ", he said.
I’m waiting to learn other types of Vasavattanas as well. Does any Abhidhammikas know all the types of Vasavattanas?
SarathW

Re: Cittaja -rupas are the main cause for Self view to arise.

Post by SarathW »

Does any Abhidhammikas know all the types of Vasavattanas?
I am not sure of this.
But you may be interested to know the following.
Devas Wielding Power over the Creation of Others (paranimmita-vasavatti deva)
Devas Delighting in Creation (nimmanarati deva)
Devas Delighting in Creation (nimmanarati deva)

By the way, it seems that the Indian guy does not understand what Anatta means.
Buddha did not deny the action by body, speech, and mind.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

It seems he is going to teach about Vasavattana in a future lesson. The following is what he preached as the last part of the above lesson.

It reveals some information about Jhana-angas.
Why Five-Consciousnesses can’t generate Cittajarupas?

Cittajarupas are born not only by Citta. They are born by whole Cittuppada (Cita + Cetasika combination). The main part of a Cittuppada is always the Citta. That is why Citta is considered the generator of Cittajarupas.

Jhana-angas are the Power-providers to generate Cittajarupas.

The cittas which get the support of the Jhana-angas, have a higher capability of Grasping the object.

The Citta can generate Cittajarupas only when the Citta have the support of Jhana-angas or Marga-angas or Hetus. Here the Cittas with Marga-angas or Hetus can generate Cittajarupas only when they have the support of Jhana-angas.

Therefore the Jhana-angas are the Power-providers to generate Cittajarupas.

The Cetana is the most powerful one among the Cetasikas. Cetana also can generate Cittajarupas. But Citta and Cetasika all need Jhana-angas to generate Cittajarupas.

Jhana-angas

Any Nama-dhamma has a capability of Arammana-gahana (grasping the object). Among these Nama-dhammas, the dhammas that have a higher capability of grasping the object, are called Jhana-angas.

There are 7 Jhana-angas but 5 as Paramatthas namely Vitakka, Vicara, Piti, Vedana and Ekaggata. (They become 7 as Paramatthas). Last 2 are Sabbacittasadarana cetasikas (universal-cetasikas) and First 3 are Pakinnaka cetasikas. The most powerful one is Ekaggata among Jhana-angas but Vitakka is considered the main one supports in grasping objects.

The root “Jha” means “Upanijjhayana(looking)” or "Jhapana(burning up).

Upanijjhayana(looking): Grasping the object well
Arammana-upanijjhayana: Grasping the object well
Lakkhana-upanijjhayana: Grasping the characterisic well
2.Jhapana(burning up): Burning up the opposite dhammas

Vitakka burns up Thinamiddha
Vicara burns up Vicikiccha
Piti burns up Vyapada
Sukha burns up Uddhaccakukkucca
Ekaggata burns up Kamacchanda
Five-Consciousnesses

Five-consciousnesses have only Sabbacittasadarana cetasikas (universal-cetasikas), namely, Phassa, Vedana, Sanna, Cetana, Ekaggata, Jivitindriya and Mansikara. So there are only 2 Jhana-angas in Five-consciousnesses. But because there is no Vitakka which is the main one, these 2 are not considered jhana-angas. So Five-consciousnesses are considered Jhananga-less.

Therefore they are weak in grasping objects. (The weakest in grasping objects is considered Mano-dhatu. Five-consciousnesses are little bit stronger than that.)

Therefore Five-consciousnesses can’t generate Cittajarupas.
Out of the main topic, my attention caught the fact that Sukha burns up Uddhacca. So restlessness seem to be arisen due to Non-comfort.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I'm not clear what a cittaja-rupa is, practically speaking.
Some examples would be helpful.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

I'll try to explain what cittajarupas are, if I could have time, after this last part of the above lesson.
Why Arupavacara-vipaka-cittas can't generate Cittajarupas?

Arupavacara-vipaka-cittas are ressults of the Arupavacara-kusala-cittas. These Arupavacara-vipaka-cittas are arisen only in the Arupa world. In the Arupa world, all the Paticandhi, Bhavanga and Cuti duties are done by thsese Arupavacara-vipaka-cittas.

The reason for why Arupavacara-vipaka-cittas can't generate Cittajarupas, is mentioned in Atthakata as "since there is no rupa". This fact is explained by Ledi Sayadaw as "there must be an already existing rupa-stream (kammaja-rupa-santati), in order Cittajarupas to be arisen, otherwise they are not arisen."

The prereqisite kammaja-rupa-santati is absent in Arupa loka because, the birth in Arupa loka is a result of a Rupa-viraga-bhavana (Meditaion of detachigng from rupa). In other words it is a result of Arupavacara Kusala Cittas. These Arupavacara-kusala-cittas don't generate kammaja-rupas.

But the other Jhana-cittas, Magga-cittas and Phala-cittas generate Cittajarupas. Even the posture of the meditator becomes unvavering due to the Cittajarupas generated by other Jhana, Magga and Phala cittas.

Where the 75 cittas can't generate Cittajarupas?

1. Arupa loka
2. Patisandhi citta
3. Cuti citta

The 75 cittas which generate Cittajarupas are also don't generate Cittajarupas when they arisen in Arupa loka. So any citta arisen in Arupa loka don't generate Cittajarupas.

Summary:
Cittajarupas are the rupas that make the Bridge between Nama and Rupa.
Cittajarupas are a main factor for Self-view to be arisen.
The Citta can't generate Cittajarupas without the help of Jhana-angas.
(The main cetasikas that contribute to generate Cittajarupas are Jhana-angas.)