I’m enlightened

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
SarathW

Re: I’m enlightened

Post by SarathW »

SonGoku wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:41 pm
SarathW wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:13 am .
Bhikkhu Bodhi mentioned about a monk he thought he is in level that can't get angry but if some one ask him about that he get angry(This is when he is in sri lanka). Ven.Bhikkhu Bodhi's teacher ven.Balangoda Ananda Maitreya Thero many sri lankans considers him as a arahath but himself never said somthing like that afaik.. .
I can't find the excat video now Ven.Pemasiri told about monks that thought themselfs are arahath cuz misunderstanding things.he said some monks and people that mistook physical tranquility,numbness etc as Jhanas and continued doing so and got in to wrong view and thought themself as arahaths. And said people practiced Anapanasathi (breath meditation) can understand when they are going to die they are not arahath or don't have abilities but they can tell cuz they practiced Anapanasathi mostly all of their lifetime. If some one can say when excatly he is going to die may be he is a arahath or just a person with good Anapanasathi practice for decades daily. he said a Arahath in Sithulpawwa forest monastery(that is the one of place called many arahaths were there long long time ago) said other monks when he is doing walking meditation he going to take last breath , so he draw a line in walking meditation area when he reached to line he took last breath. he said When doing meditation people mistook extreme one pointedness like concentration as jhanas so when that happened a good meditation teacher will get that person out of that even scold(to stop person from caught up in that)and get person in to right path, if tht person caught up in that in keep doing for long time he said it is very hard to get that person out from that wrong view he caught up may be take a year to get tht person out of that view. he said buddha can do it with in a day or instantly but for normal teacher it would take a year so to get that person out of that wrong view if that person was caught up in that for long time.

I also know a person that went to a forest monastery alone, afaik without proper education or teacher stay there for few years finally he disrobed and even had to treat for mental illness.
The Ten Imperfections of Insight (vipassanupakilesas):
Buddha talked about taking the various stages of the path as Nibbana. erroneously.

https://audiodharma.us-east-1.linodeobj ... nsight.pdf
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”