Want to learn more about Theravada

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
insubstantial

Want to learn more about Theravada

Post by insubstantial »

I'm British and want to learn more about Theravada, its origins and practices. Thank you.
Ceisiwr

Re: Want to learn more about Theravada

Post by Ceisiwr »

insubstantial wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:46 pm I'm British and want to learn more about Theravada, its origins and practices. Thank you.
Welcome :hello:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

insubstantial wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:46 pm I'm British and want to learn more about Theravada, its origins and practices. Thank you.
Welcome, I'm from the UK too! :hello:

This might be helpful:

https://www.watpahnanachat.org/an-outline-of-buddhism-1

With metta,

Aloka :anjali:
befriend

Post by befriend »

Kamma means we have been everything in every realm since beginning less time. samsara is like a wheel, to get off the wheel we practice the 4 noble truths. Everyone has been a woman, man, disabled man, disabled woman, rich, poor beautiful unattractive because existence has no beginning. If you do not enjoy the idea of kamma and its results in my opinion that's no problem. Dhamma teachers or monastics will tell you just focus on taking care of the present moment never worry about what will happen in future lives. What's important is to see what works for you there is a huge amount of wisdom in buddhism without thinking about kamma and rebirth. Such as the delight of non craving, generosity, refraining from gossip and harsh speech, it has a lot of happiness in it especially with loving kindness meditation all of these wholesome practice will accumulate in you and produce well being. I would recommend the Ajahn chah forest tradition when he teached about rebirth he taught it with regards to craving and attachment not future lives.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Here's "Theravada Buddhism in a Nutshell" by Ajahn Amaro the Abbot of Amaravati Theravada Thai Forest Tradition Monastery UK...and I would highly recommend a visit to the monastery sometime, if that's possible for you.

https://www.abhayagiri.org/media/books/ ... tshell.pdf

:anjali: