Who is responsible for a person's faith in the Triple Gem?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
cappuccino

Re: Who is responsible for a person's faith in the Triple Gem?

Post by cappuccino »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:55 pm I consider myself an ordinary person (well, relatively ordinary!) who practices Buddhism.
This teaching is not ordinary.

Not the ordinary perspective.

If you understand the teaching… you are transcending the ordinary.
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

cappuccino wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:18 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:55 pm I consider myself an ordinary person (well, relatively ordinary!) who practices Buddhism.
This teaching is not ordinary.

Not the ordinary perspective.

If you understand the teaching… you are transcending the ordinary.
I would have thought that it's not "all or nothing". Nearly everyone can understand some aspects, and a very few understand it all. A continuum of understanding.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Radix wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:49 pm When people claim to be Buddhists but behave just like ordinary, worldly people, or like just plain jerks, this has an effect on how other people will perceive Buddhism.
If you're putting your faith in other people you aren't putting it in the Triple Gem.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Radix

Post by Radix »

retrofuturist wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:57 pmAre you assuming there's some requirement for lay people to promote the Dhamma or Buddhism?
This conversation is like pulling out fingernails.

I would think that even lay people feel a measure of responsibility for how they conduct themselves as members, and thus representatives of a religion/spirituality.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Radix

Post by Radix »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:57 pmBuddhism is for ordinary worldly people who are often jerks, and one's personal salvation is more important than what other people think.
Then by all means, let's be jerks -- as long as we get saved, right?
But case in point: perhaps one needs to be a jerk in order to get saved.

Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Radix wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:37 pm Then by all means, let's be jerks -- as long as we get saved, right?
Hell is for decent people who weren’t concerned with hell

Did not believe in hell

Weren’t concerned with the spiritual
Coaching
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Radix wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:33 pm
This conversation is like pulling out fingernails.

If you got answers you don't like, re-phrase your question.

Have you read much of the pali canon? Its the texts that are the basis for theravada buddhism which is tradition this forum is addressing. There is much there about faith and it may help you re-orient your question.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Radix wrote:But case in point: perhaps one needs to be a jerk in order to get saved.
Sorry to break it to you, but one doesn't need to be a jerk for s/he's already one. "Jerkfulness" is baked into the human OS (operating system) right from the get-go. So it's either one wants to stick with the default mode or at least try to do something about it.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Radix wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:37 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:57 pmBuddhism is for ordinary worldly people who are often jerks, and one's personal salvation is more important than what other people think.
Then by all means, let's be jerks -- as long as we get saved, right?
Certainly, there's no sense in beating yourself up about having been a jerk. We just need to stop doing it when we recognise it.
He, who having been a jerk, ceases to be one, illuminates this world like the moon emerging from clouds
But case in point: perhaps one needs to be a jerk in order to get saved.
Only if you construe being a jerk as comprising every defilement. It depends on how you define the term, of course.
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

Sam Vera wrote 
I would have thought that it's not "all or nothing".
It depends on one's goal, If it is merely to lead a good life with heaven as aspiration, several religions offer advice on this. But unlike other teachers Buddha has claimed that heaven is not everlasting.
  • This is unique.
So why would we aspire for impermanence? All Buddhists claim that they have taken refuge in the triple gem, and have faith in such.
Yet, think of corrupt politicians who claim to be devout buddhists who apparently have taken refuge in Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha.
Faith itself has to be qualified?
Sam wrote:
Nearly everyone can understand some aspects, and a very few understand it all. A continuum of understanding.
This is true.
But the concept of 'All or nothing" comes into play with a buddhist aspiring for Nibbana, not aspiring to heavens.
  • Such a buddhist will have to know "Origination of Suffering", in order to cut off suffering.
Does it begin with physical birth? Was the Buddha teaching a profound Dhamma to a newborn?
Or was he teaching "Origination of Suffering" to the spiritually mature?" able to see that suffering originates or births during mental proliferation, or in the diffused or unguarded mind.

I don't mean to deviate from the topic.
But Sam's comment "All Or Nothing" brought me these thoughts.
Likewise the word Jerk might mean different things to different people.
"Beauty is in in the eye of the beholder"
  • Four Noble Truths As Meditative Perception
Chapter 4 in Eviatar "Shulman's Rethinking the Buddha" is worth a read, to figure out "How suffering begins" 

Beauty or Jerkiness?  does it not sit in the eye of the beholder?https://www.csuerfsa.org/index.php/news ... e-beholder
With love :candle:
Radix

Post by Radix »

santa100 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:22 pm
Radix wrote:But case in point: perhaps one needs to be a jerk in order to get saved.
Sorry to break it to you, but one doesn't need to be a jerk for s/he's already one. "Jerkfulness" is baked into the human OS (operating system) right from the get-go. So it's either one wants to stick with the default mode or at least try to do something about it.
Unfortunately, I apparently missed school when they taught Adam Smith.
Glenn Wallis
Radix

Post by Radix »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:58 pmCertainly, there's no sense in beating yourself up about having been a jerk. We just need to stop doing it when we recognise it.
Indeed. Beating yourself up for being a jerk is wrong. As Buddhists have taught me the hard way, one must always pursue one's interests without any consideration for other people or how they will be affected by those pursuits. And, of course, deny doing so. Everyone is responsible solely for themselves.
Glenn Wallis
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Radix wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:29 pm Everyone is responsible … for themselves.
Good if you take responsibility

I always tell others they should
Coaching
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Radix wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:59 pm
santa100 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:22 pm
Unfortunately, I apparently missed school when they taught Adam Smith.
Well, nobody's perfect.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Radix wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:29 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:58 pmCertainly, there's no sense in beating yourself up about having been a jerk. We just need to stop doing it when we recognise it.
Indeed. Beating yourself up for being a jerk is wrong. As Buddhists have taught me the hard way, one must always pursue one's interests without any consideration for other people or how they will be affected by those pursuits. And, of course, deny doing so. Everyone is responsible solely for themselves.
If Buddhists have taught you that, then my initial recommendation was to find yourself some different Buddhists. But on reflection, it's probably more appropriate to recommend that you pay attention differently. What probably happened is that you approached them with particularly unhelpful and rigidly-held views, which then coloured how you perceived their responses.

So you are partly right. It was the hard way, but you haven't learnt anything.