Jesus and Buddha, new book

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DNS
Site Admin

Jesus and Buddha, new book

Post by DNS »

A book by Shravasti Dhammika, just updated, October 2022 (3rd edition)

http://budblooms.org/2020/05/28/jesus-and-the-buddha/

I haven't read it yet, so can't comment on it just yet.
retrofuturist

Re: Jesus and Buddha, new book

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
DNS wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:28 pm I haven't read it yet, so can't comment on it just yet.
Not a bad (skim) read, but certainly not presented with the independence proclaimed in the introduction. There's a certain grudgefulness about the tone at times, probably carried into the writing via the author's personal experiences with proselytisers, moreso than anything that could be attributed to Jesus or The Buddha.

Personally, I think I would have found more satisfaction in something that compared The Bible to the Sutta Pitaka, than something that focused on the key personalities. Such a dichotomy would have forced the author to get into matters of doctrine, although perhaps given that even here we see the Buddha's doctrine differently, it's only a comparative assessment that can be done by the individual, based upon what they understand and glean from each compendium. Presumably with all the Christian denominations, the same challenge exists coming from the other side too.

Worth a look though because the headings throughout the text are very helpful in pointing you to, or steering you away from, particular subjects.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Kusala

Re: Jesus and Buddha, new book

Post by Kusala »

DNS wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:28 pm A book by Shravasti Dhammika, just updated, October 2022 (3rd edition)

http://budblooms.org/2020/05/28/jesus-and-the-buddha/

I haven't read it yet, so can't comment on it just yet.
Thanks...
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "