"Career Opportunities" related to Dhamma

Balancing family life and the Dhamma, in pursuit of a happy lay life.
anagaarika

"Career Opportunities" related to Dhamma

Post by anagaarika »

Hello there, fellow practitioners!

To be honest, I don´t really have a precise idea where I´m going with this post – I may be just seeking some inspiration from others, ideas, tips, perspectives, possibly stories of those in a similar situation…

I´ve been considering my career prospects and possible ways of aligning it even more closely with my dhamma practice. I´m now in my very late 20s, a freelance linguist, single, no major obligations. My current job is relatively stress-free and has many benefits which I got quite accustomed (or even attached?) to – such as not having to communicate with people, not having to commute, not having to work 9 to 5 in an office etc. My job is not something I would intrinsically enjoy (that is if I didn´t have to earn money I wouldn´t do it as a hobby), but it doesn´t burden me very much. Also, my everyday schedule allows for quite a lot of free time and regular formal practice and private retreats (yes, I seem to be getting attached to the peace more than I would like, but can´t quite help it right now).

Of course, there are some drawbacks to it as well. Mainly more screen time than I would prefer and frequent restlessness stemming from doing an intrinsically-not-so-enjoyable work (good old vibhava tanha). Although this job pays reasonably well and allows me to save and invest regularly, I am still far from a total financial independence (whether this a realistic goal is questionable).

This sometimes makes me re-consider changing what I do right now – at least partially. Can you think of a career that would be more related to the dhamma and at the same time could provide a decent living (by decent I mean being able to pay the bills etc., not buying yachts in the Caribbean)? I was thinking about such things as translating dhamma books as that would suit my qualification, but I understand this is usually done by volunteers for free (I totally agree that dhamma should not be monetized, however that means I have to do something less dhammic, but more profitable).

Am I just trying to make things too perfect for myself? Or do you think there are some opportunities for a freelancer to do something more dhamma-inclined and earn a living by that? Any input will be appreciated! :anjali:
santa100

Re: "Career Opportunities" related to Dhamma

Post by santa100 »

anagaarika wrote:Am I just trying to make things too perfect for myself? Or do you think there are some opportunities for a freelancer to do something more dhamma-inclined and earn a living by that? Any input will be appreciated!
Every career path has its own headache. Seems like your job is conducive enough for your Dhamma cultivation. So stick with it if you can. But if you just can't stand it any longer, any career in education, healthcare, or STEM (as long as you're not engineering some weapon of mass destruction) would be considered dhamma-friendly for they'd enable one to make a decent salary while doing something that benefit people and society.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

anagaarika wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:42 pm ... Can you think of a career that would be more related to the dhamma and at the same time could provide a decent living...
Monks live decently.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Hello i would say that some careers use pirate software at least in underdeveloped countries when they cant afford to pay for that software so i would avoid those careers. Some careers like engineering in general, architecture, graphic design, they use them because they want to teach the top or high ranking softwares, but the school and students doesnt want to pay for them. In doing so you would be breaking second precept by being forced to use them by the teacher and you would accumulate poverty karma.
I would say nursering would be nice, at least in my country Mexico. The other career would be coding but you can learn that from youtube wich is more affordable than paying for some career because its free. Medicine can be an option but this career is really hard they take 36 hours workdays and can be mentally damaging. I would avoid paying school for some careers in which you dont need a work license and that are available on the internet for free, like coding, graphic design (can be learnt from the internet or youtube with free software), etc.

Also some careers can be learnt for free on the internet, and you will avoid getting into debt, which is damaging and harmful for your future because if you are in debt you can not ordain as buddhist monk.

This is in spanish but in the description part of the video he places all the links for different Moocs (massive online open courses), which are part of ecucation and might be useful.

https://www.edx.org/

Some careers can be learn on the internet and others need a license. Also some courses are available on the internet with Google certificate, i read this can open many job oportunities in the U. S. Like this one

https://www.coursera.org/professional-c ... MEfuRMdFoo
mario92

Post by mario92 »

This course might be useful to learn coding, was shared from nothingworthgrasping dhammawheel member to me in one past post
mario92

Post by mario92 »

samsarayoga

Post by samsarayoga »

You're selling the dhamma then? I always say money buys you security not happiness.
reality is not shaped by your mind, if this was the case there won't exist right view and wrong view to begin with (doh)
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Become part time lecturer in big univerisites etc
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

As a Buddhist, you have to avoid only the wrong livelihood. ( Dealing with weapons, poison, etc.)
Except for them, you can practice any job according to Dhamma.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

Good wholesomeness and much merit can be generated following an educational path of "Human Services". Schooling to be of service to fellow humans in need. Lots and lots of different career opportunities down this line of study.

Behavior therapist, child advocate, grant writer, case worker, substance abuse counselor, probation officer, social worker, emergency service manager, occupational therapist, mental health nurse, just to name a few.

Just google "Human service career" or something similar to find many many more ideas.

One with a good foothold in the Dhamma would likely find much merit and wholesomeness in these lines of work and in this study. Livelihood earned by the sweat of one's brow and in doing meritorious deeds providing fruits in this very life for both you and those you help.
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

Nursing, Teaching, Medicine Care Work, Dentistry.. Something where you are benefiting others... but I guess it's not for everyone, so if not try and do the least harm possible. As long as you are not making money in a way that utilizes weapons/poisons/intoxicants/slaves/meat I think it is compatible with 'the way'.

The best 'job' is to become a Buddhist Monk/Nun I believe (if handled correctly).

You spend a lot of time at work so why not make some good karma while your doing it? Try not to think about the money you can't take it with yah and if you are going to care for others etc. I think Lord Buddha said you shouldn't do this for personal gain - so it's tricky. Try and find a job that is beneficial and you would like to do even if you lived in a world without money...

KeepCalm
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I think for laity, a wholesome livelihood can be food production/farming, pending that it does not cause harm or the use of animals. Lay practitioners used to provide monastics with food for the body while the monks provided food for the mind through teaching dhamma. Just imagine that accidentally killing worms would cause monks to refrain from growing their own food. Modern economies are largely based on the services sector, where a lot of mental gymnastics are required to convince customers to buy products/services that they can live without. So, the more one can move away from mental jobs in modern times the better, at least, one would conserve mental energy to study or contemplate the dhamma, or benefit from physical exercise that growing food would provide naturally.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Kai

Post by Kai »

Have you considered the less materialistic approach by becoming a lay Buddhist at a monastery. In return for work you do at the monastery you receive free food & lodging. Monasteries usually need help in various departments, be it in the office, garden, kitchen, handy work/repairs, etc. Another major benefit is that you get exposed to the daily routine of a monastery and you are close to many a wise teacher ... Just a thought ...
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

It kind of depends on what your goals are. If you want a comfortable, relatively stress free job that still provides a decent income, there are many options. If you are looking for a challenge, there are also many options; do you want the job itself to be a practice?

Over the years I had many "jobs" that were just that - go to work, do the job, get a check, go home. Some were enjoyable, some not. No challenge, no strings, no big emotional investment; regular days off, benefits, etc.

It wasn't until I was in my mid 30's that I realized there was something missing. Everything up to that point had been focused on me, my needs, my wants, my satisfaction; yes, I had money, yes, I had "stuff" but it all seemed kind of pointless. So I went back to school at age 35 to become a nurse, and then worked in various areas - hospitals, home health care, discharge planning, quality management, and more. But the most challenging and most rewarding was hospice care. There are no games in hospice, all the facades are gone; death is imminent. This was the place where Buddhist practice became very real to me, it is no longer hypothetical. And, surprisingly, I found that I received more than I ever gave.

Not everyone is cut out for that type of work, but if you have the choice to try a "helping" profession I highly recommend that you do. There are lots of frustrations (usually related to the management!) and the money usually isn't great, but the opportunities for practice are numerous and the rewards are excellent.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

how about something like social work?