How to reach the jhanas, according to Pannananda

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
DeadBuddha

How to reach the jhanas, according to Pannananda

Post by DeadBuddha »

Hi

In a text by Pannananda, I read some rather strange techniques about conceptual breathing. I refer to this text: "A Companion Volume To Brief Discussion On Ānāpānasati". In it, he explains that in order to attain the jhanas, one has to concentrate on conceptual breath, and that in order to concentrate on conceptual breath, one has to go through 3 stages.

Pannananda says that without these 3 steps, we will not be able to concentrate enough, and our progress will stop. He also says that this technique is in accordance with what the Buddha did.

1/ The first is to focus (briefly) on non-conceptual breath (this step is supposed to get us to the upper lip area; and we need to find that area because it makes it easier to focus).
Once we have found the upper lip, we move on to the second step.

2/ The second step consists in observing the localization (the upper lip) as if we were a spectator standing behind the upper lip; it's hard to explain in words, but basically the idea is that we have to observe the localization by pretending that our eyes and our gaze are not at the level of the physical and biological eyes and gaze, but are a few centimeters behind the upper lip, as if we had eyes in our mouths. To understand, look at this image, it comes from Pannananda's article :
pannananda.png

In addition, we need to focus on the location that is the upper lip, but we no longer need to focus on the non-conceptual breath, nor on the skin.
The second stage is supposed to allow us to find the conceptual breath (massive, solid, still).
Once this is done, we move on to the third step.

3/ The third step consists of focusing on the conceptual breath, always pretending that our eyes are a few centimeters behind the upper lip.

What do you think ? Thanks in advance.

For the sake of all beings.
BrokenBones

Re: How to reach the jhanas, according to Pannananda

Post by BrokenBones »

I'd like to see the sutta this was based on.
anagaarika

Re: How to reach the jhanas, according to Pannananda

Post by anagaarika »

Sounds quite complex. I personally have more success with the opposite approach - trying to keep it as simple as possible. If the mind is in a good shape and there is a lot of clarity and energy, then there´s not necessarily too much in the way of technique. Ajahn Brahmali once recalled the shortest discourse on anapanasati given by one Thai forest school monk: "Breathing in, I relax. Breathing out, I relax." End of dhamma talk.