Where to place attention during present moment awareness?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
dhamma_junkie

Where to place attention during present moment awareness?

Post by dhamma_junkie »

In Ajahn Brahm’s Anapanasati instructions, he recommends being aware of the present moment before focusing on breath.

During present moment awareness, I hear many things. E.g., birds chirping, someone coughing, or a sound of a vehicle moving. Some of these sounds lasts long. And these sounds sometimes overlap. In such situations, I’m presented with the option to choose a sound to focus on.

For example, If I hear a bird chirping whilst there is a sound of a vehicle moving, (both incidents occur concurrently) I can choose to place my attention on either the bird or the moving vehicle. What should I do in such instances?
Pondera

Re: Where to place attention during present moment awareness?

Post by Pondera »

Acknowledge them both. Don’t cling to either of them.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
santa100

Post by santa100 »

dhamma_junkie wrote:For example, If I hear a bird chirping whilst there is a sound of a vehicle moving, (both incidents occur concurrently) I can choose to place my attention on either the bird or the moving vehicle. What should I do in such instances?
Shouldn't matter because you'll still need to return back to your primary object of attention in Anapanasati anyway, which is the breath.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Why do you have to choose?

A birds chirping is just sound, a car engine noise is just sound.

What is important is present moment awareness, did you hear sound? were you aware you heard sound? that's present moment awareness.

Just notice when you are present and aware and when you haven't been and have just woken up to it, just keep noticing that, it really doesn't matter what you are aware of yet as at this stage you have not chosen an object to concentrate on.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

The present-moment experience which involves sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and touch which are all present occurrences. Thoughts however can go to the "past" or the "future". It's another way of not getting involved in thoughts.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

dhamma_junkie wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:26 pm In Ajahn Brahm’s Anapanasati instructions, he recommends being aware of the present moment before focusing on breath.

During present moment awareness, I hear many things. E.g., birds chirping, someone coughing, or a sound of a vehicle moving. Some of these sounds lasts long. And these sounds sometimes overlap. In such situations, I’m presented with the option to choose a sound to focus on.

For example, If I hear a bird chirping whilst there is a sound of a vehicle moving, (both incidents occur concurrently) I can choose to place my attention on either the bird or the moving vehicle. What should I do in such instances?
Something I do is to briefly pay attention to each sense faculty in turn, eg sights, then sounds, etc.
You could end with bodily sensations, which is where attention needs to be for anapanasati.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

pegembara wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:58 am The present-moment experience which involves sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and touch which are all present occurrences. Thoughts however can go to the "past" or the "future". It's another way of not getting involved in thoughts.
:goodpost: Good point, good advice, IMO.
dhamma_junkie

Post by dhamma_junkie »

Thank you very much, all, for your kind and wise responses. I truly mean it. :thanks: