What behaviour do you find inspiring or uninspiring in monastics?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
DiamondNgXZ

What behaviour do you find inspiring or uninspiring in monastics?

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

My teacher has an idea to do a perception of recluses survey (Samanasaññā survey). It's basically contains questions of the verbal and physical behaviour of monastics beyond the Vinaya to be seen as inspiring or uninspiring to lay people.

Background

The Samanasaññā word comes from the sutta AN10.101 https://suttacentral.net/an10.101/en/su ... ript=latin
“Mendicants, when these three perceptions for ascetics are developed and cultivated theyfulfill seven things. What three? ‘I have secured freedom from class.’ ‘My livelihood is tiedup with others.’ ‘My behavior should be different.’ When these three perceptions forascetics are developed and cultivated they fulfill seven things.

What seven? Their deeds and behaviour are always consistent with the precepts. They're content, kind-hearted, and humble. They want to train. They use the necessities of life after reflecting on their purpose. They’re energetic. When those three perceptions for ascetics are developed and cultivated they fulfil these seven things.”
We are using the term in a different way as explained below.The Buddha often lay down Vinaya rules in response to criticism by lay people of some uninspiring behaviour of some monastics. Now that the Buddha is no longer alive, and thus the Vinaya is not going to be expended due to new technologies, situations etc. There's plenty of areas beyond the Vinaya which are sort of encouraged or enforced by different monastic communities. I call these extra Vinaya. Since they are technically not in the Vinaya, these extra Vinaya rules or behaviours cannot land monastic in offences, except as a direct disrespect not obeying the teacher's request. And it can cause disharmony for monastics who doesn't want to follow the local communities standards.

There's a few things to take in account doctrine wise: https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-bu-vb-n ... ript=latin
I will lay down a training rule for the following ten reasons: for the well-being of the Sangha, for the comfort of the Sangha, for the restraint of bad people, for the ease of well-behaved monks, for the restraint of corruptions relating to the present life, for the restraint of corruptions relating to future lives, to give rise to confidence in those without it, to increase the confidence of those who have it, for the longevity of the true Teaching, and for supporting the training.
The confidence part I worded it as inspiring vs uninspiring.
“Good, Upasena. One should not lay down new rules, nor should one get rid of the existing ones. One should practice and undertake the training rules as they are.
So these extra Vinaya questions cannot be enforced onto any monastics as new rules, but just for the sake of knowledge of monastics to be able to see what's the public's perception of what's appropriate for monastics and what's less appropriate. This also includes monastics' perception towards other monastics, so you can suggest more survey questions as well.

The google form below is not the survey. I am just gathering the questions for now. Hopefully the real survey will not have too many questions, but still, I am gathering them and sorting them based on repetition etc. You can suggest up to 3 questions, if you wish to suggest more, fill up the form again after submitting it. Please word your questions clearly or leave your contact should you wish for me to be able to contact you to clarify your questions.

These questions should be extra Vinaya, so if anything is already covered by the Vinaya, it'll not be in the survey. https://suttacentral.net/pitaka/vinaya/pli-tv-vi Do read the Vinaya should you wish to know if your question is already covered by the Vinaya. Or try your luck, I wouldn't select the ones already covered by the Vinaya.

When wording your questions, please use the gender neutral term: monastics including Bhikkhu, Bhikkhuni, Samanera, Samaneri, Sikkhamana. For the purpose of the survey, we will only focus on Theravada monastics. Using money and eating dinner are clearly against the Vinaya, and thus are not considered a suitable question for this survey on extra Vinaya.

Example of questions:
  • A vegan monastic.
  • Monastics saying “Jesus Christ” as a strong expression of disbelief, dismay, awe,disappointment, pain, etc.
  • Monastics giving nicknames to fellow monastics. Eg. Ven. Noodles (to monks who eat instant noodles), Ven. Tea (for monks who likes to drink tea).
  • Monastics who tell jokes as a part of a Dhamma talk.
  • Monastics driving a car. (Vinaya border questions are allowed, where different communities may interpret the rules differently.)

In the real survey, there'll be 5 multiple choice options for each questions as follows.
  • Very inspiring
  • Inspiring
  • Neutral
  • Uninspiring
  • Very uninspiring
To submit questions, please click: https://forms.gle/xbSQNToRFHbq6aey6 Tentatively open until 8th Dec.
Johann

Re: What behaviour do you find inspiring or uninspiring in monastics?

Post by Johann »

Bhante,

certain to consider that while one may bear a wrong perception, approves by it wrong view, and of course stucks in it, verbal expressing such, by signs, does also break one appart in regard of Silas.

Is it wise to do such encouragement when knowing that majority would tend to wrong perception? What's the purpose of such? Doing best possible favors?

Maybe good to put at least a really heavy issue into light, as it's much more common, yet good to reflect. As Bhante knows, such as voting is only allowed when known that majority tends to the right side.

So here some stories which might make clear that the Sublime Buddha never actually prefered what ever beloved favor, either by monks, the lesser lay follower.

Sg 13
A corrupter of families is a bhikkhu who — behaving in a demeaning, frivolous, or subservient way — succeeds in ingratiating himself to lay people to the point where they withdraw their support from bhikkhus who are earnest in the practice and give it to those who are more ingratiating instead. This is illustrated in the origin story of this rule, in which the followers of Assaji and Punabbasu (leaders of one faction of the group of six) had thoroughly corrupted the lay people at Kīṭāgiri.

“Now at that time a certain bhikkhu, having finished his Rains-residence among the people of Kāsi and on his way to Sāvatthī to see the Blessed One, arrived at Kīṭāgiri. Dressing (§) early in the morning, taking his bowl and (outer) robe, he entered Kīṭāgiri for alms: gracious in the way he approached and departed, looked forward and behind, drew in and stretched out (his arm); his eyes downcast, his every movement consummate. People seeing him said, 'Who is this weakest of weaklings, this dullest of dullards, this most snobbish of snobs? Who, if this one approached (§), would even give him alms? Our masters, the followers of Assaji and Punabbasu, are compliant, genial, pleasing in conversation. They are the first to smile, saying, “Come, you are welcome.” They are not snobbish. They are approachable. They are the first to speak. They are the ones to whom alms should be given.'”
Other stories had been:

* People criticized the Buddha and monks for pulling away all good sons.
* Receiving alms from poor

It's really more then not inspiring to find such approach. Of course Bhante is free to put it as one question in his google hosted poll:

Monks asking lay follower of what Vinaya they would feel inspired.

Honestly, my person would prefer it would just having been a joke, such ideas on "inspiration", because jokes on Dhamma Vinaya aren't that heavy faults as the matter actually displays.
Last edited by Johann on Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johann

Post by Johann »

* It's total no inspiration that monks obiviously make not given use of google and other accounts, making people find hardly differences to "free/social" cadger, and taking without really given (as later gain is expected by such "free" in advanced).

* It's total no ispiration that monks lost the perception of gender while at same time are totally caught in gender pride, and deny that the Dhamma-Vinaya requires here very exact distinction.

* Only notions on doubt and critic, ideas of Dhamma-Vinaya isn't perfect declared and misses one's issue, is total not inspiring and every insider knows that those have no refuge in the Dhamma yet, are still wanderers of other sect.

* Monks approaching merely anonymously, hiding face, and teach Dhamma to people showing no signs of devotion references.

* It's total not inspiring for all that it's obiviously steady necessary to encourage monks to get to mind again and to "solve" issues public... as they usually hide up like "highway robers" and avoid the proper and regulated circumstances apart for serving as food for watching dramas.
3. Mahācorasuttaṁ
Highwayman

[011.03] Endowed with five things the highwayman [endures] even [if] cuts limbs, plunders, imprisons, or waits in ambush. What five?

Here, bhikkhus, the highwayman hides in an inaccessible place, in a density, behind the powerful, becomes liberal or behaves alone.

Bhikkhus, how does the highwayman hide in an inaccessible place?

Here, bhikkhus, the highwayman hides in an irregular incline of the river or in an irregular mountain slope. Thus he hides in an inaccessible place.

Bhikkhus, how does the highwayman hide in a density?

Here, bhikkhus, the highwayman hides in a dense growth, of grass, of trees, a cave or in a great forest. Thus he hides in a density.

Bhikkhus, how does the highwayman hide behind the powerful?

Here, bhikkhus, the highwayman seeks protection from kings or kings' ministers. It occurs to him: If anything was said about me, the king or the king's ministers explain it in my favour. If they said anything, the king or the king's ministers say it in my favour. Thus he hides behind the powerful.

Bhikkhus, how does the highwayman become liberal?

Here, bhikkhus, the highwayman is wealthy he has many resources. It occurs to him: If they tell anything to me, I will welcome them and give them a kind reception with this wealth If I tell them anything they will welcome me and give a kind reception with their wealth Thus he becomes liberal.

Bhikkhus, how does the highwayman behave alone?

Here, bhikkhus, the highwayman makes any seizures by himself. What is the reason? May my hidden treasures be not destroyed by an outsider. Thus the highwayman behaves alone.

Endowed with these five things the highwayman even cuts limbs, plunders, imprisons, or waits in ambush.

Bhikkhus, in the same manner the evil bhikkhu endowed with five things abides with faults and destroys himself and blamed by the wise accrues much demerit. What five?

Here, bhikkhus, the evil bhikkhu hides in an inaccessible place, in a density, behind the powerful, becomes liberal or behaves alone.

Bhikkhus, how does the evil bhikkhu hide in an inaccessible place?

Here, bhikkhus, the evil bhikkhu is endowed with irregular bodily, verbal and mental activity. Thus he hides in an inaccessible place.

Bhikkhus, how does the evil bhikkhu hide in a density?

Here, bhikkhus, the evil bhikkhu is one of wrong view grasping an extremist view. Thus he hides in a density.

Bhikkhus, how does the evil bhikkhu hide behind the powerful?

Here, bhikkhus, the evil bhikkhu seeks protection from kings or kings' ministers (today the folk). It occurs to him: If anything was said about me, the king or the king's ministers explain it in my favour. If they said anything, the king or the king's ministers say it in my favour. Thus he hides behind the powerful.

Bhikkhus, how does the evil bhikkhu become liberal?

Here, bhikkhus, the evil bhikkhu is a gainer of robes, morsel food, dwellings and requisites when ill. It occurs to him: If they tell anything to me, I will welcome them and give them a kind reception with this wealth If I tell them anything they will welcome me and give a kind reception with their wealth Thus he becomes liberal.

Bhikkhus, how does the evil bhikkhu behave alone?

Here, bhikkhus, the evil bhikkhu lives by himself in a distant state (where a funktioning conservative Sangha is far). He approaches families there and makes gains. Thus the evil bhikkhu behaves alone.

Endowed with these five things the evil bhikkhu abides with faults and destroys himself and blamed by the wise accrues much demerit.
Oh the list is long... simply very less inspiring for those no faith yet, not increasing gained and criticized by those not corrupted yet, and by modest fellows...

But the kind of "Monks of six" couldn't end their ways, how many additions in rules had been given.
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

Thanks for the opportunity to feed in, I'll have a think. My first thought is that for most of those example questions my answer is that it depends on different things. For instance the attitude, form and frequency. E.g. with humour, I love it when a dhamma teacher makes a clever and funny connection or perception shift. Or tells a relevant funny anecdote. When it's just jokes or lots of funny stories it gets annoying. So I would ask for a chance to qualify answers and/or have some open questions.

Ajahn Chah's use of humour was beautiful and inspiring. One of my favourite funny stories is Kittisaro telling how once when he was feeling despondent about his practice, Ajahn Chah compared him at great length and in vivid detail to a young squirrel who wanted to be like his mum but kept falling flat on his face. And each time he was so disappointed. Until one day...
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

Johann wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:07 pm What's the purpose of such?
I have explained here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/theravada/comm ... questions/
But then there's already the inherent view of lay people of these issues. Even if it's formed the first time when they see the real survey questions, they have an internal feeling about it. Some maybe due to some cultural teachings, expectations they carry from elsewhere some may reflect the common tone of the Buddhist community in that country.

The real survey will include nationality so we can differentiate the cultural expectations of the people according to countries. For example, I might expect that Thailand and Myanmar monks might find monastics who support Bhikkhuni ordination as not inspiring, but that monks from other places might find it inspiring.

But then without a concrete data, how would I know? We only speculate, maybe the intelligentsia is speculating on wrong, unrepresentative data and rumours. So in the spirit of scientific inquiry to seek the truth, it's good to have some concrete data about this. Maybe secretly the monks in Thailand and Myanmar are all for supportive of Bhikkhuni ordination but hindered by the few on top.
Other data collected would include ordination status, tradition of Buddhism, gender etc.

Thank you for the feedback, we should include a message not to use the result of the real survey as a basis for fault finding or cynicism.

It would be better just to focus on the quality of one's own actions, speech and thought.

How do I know if certain of my behaviour is inspiring or not when the extra vinaya expectations changes from monastery to monastery, from country to country etc. It'll be good to show the public's opinion about these issues. Some monastery really just keep on using this Samanasaññā to justify all the extra vinaya thing they impose on their fellow monks. So concrete data can help in that it's not just a few who thinks like that.
Perhaps the terminology is problematic.

The term they use in Thailand is Korwat. Perhaps that has a better tone.

https://www.watpahnanachat.org/kor-what

The super long article here already addressed many of your objections.

To be clear, I am on your side. I don't like the extra vinaya things, but well, there's Korwat enforcers in my monastery and I think this is a skillful means for my teacher to teach me that it's cool to adopt these korwat. As I challenge almost every one of them when it's introduced by my peers, and they said it's from my teacher. I challenge by asking why? What's the reasoning etc. I should have just read the article above. Haiz.

For those who wish to suggest more questions of what's inspiring or not, please write in the form, easier for me rather than writing as reply.

To submit questions, please click: https://forms.gle/xbSQNToRFHbq6aey6 Tentatively open until 8th Dec.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think Sutta is very clear about this and you will find them in Tipitaka and Vinaya codes.
I do not think a monk has to do anything beyond them.
I do not think a monk has to make a survey to find this.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Johann

Post by Johann »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:35 am
Johann wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:07 pm What's the purpose of such?
I have explained here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/theravada/comm ... questions/
But then there's already the inherent view of lay people of these issues. Even if it's formed the first time when they see the real survey questions, they have an internal feeling about it. Some maybe due to some cultural teachings, expectations they carry from elsewhere some may reflect the common tone of the Buddhist community in that country.

The real survey will include nationality so we can differentiate the cultural expectations of the people according to countries. For example, I might expect that Thailand and Myanmar monks might find monastics who support Bhikkhuni ordination as not inspiring, but that monks from other places might find it inspiring.

But then without a concrete data, how would I know? We only speculate, maybe the intelligentsia is speculating on wrong, unrepresentative data and rumours. So in the spirit of scientific inquiry to seek the truth, it's good to have some concrete data about this. Maybe secretly the monks in Thailand and Myanmar are all for supportive of Bhikkhuni ordination but hindered by the few on top.
Other data collected would include ordination status, tradition of Buddhism, gender etc.

Thank you for the feedback, we should include a message not to use the result of the real survey as a basis for fault finding or cynicism.

It would be better just to focus on the quality of one's own actions, speech and thought.

How do I know if certain of my behaviour is inspiring or not when the extra vinaya expectations changes from monastery to monastery, from country to country etc. It'll be good to show the public's opinion about these issues. Some monastery really just keep on using this Samanasaññā to justify all the extra vinaya thing they impose on their fellow monks. So concrete data can help in that it's not just a few who thinks like that.
Perhaps the terminology is problematic.

The term they use in Thailand is Korwat. Perhaps that has a better tone.

https://www.watpahnanachat.org/kor-what

The super long article here already addressed many of your objections.

To be clear, I am on your side. I don't like the extra vinaya things, but well, there's Korwat enforcers in my monastery and I think this is a skillful means for my teacher to teach me that it's cool to adopt these korwat. As I challenge almost every one of them when it's introduced by my peers, and they said it's from my teacher. I challenge by asking why? What's the reasoning etc. I should have just read the article above. Haiz.

For those who wish to suggest more questions of what's inspiring or not, please write in the form, easier for me rather than writing as reply.

If Bhante feels obligated to look for good ways for especially his teacher, he will forward him the clear messages and try to find ways together to clean the issue.

How can a monk gain and hold such as a reddit or google account and use it for ways to liberate from bonds (e.g. against the owners interest)?

How can one even raise such questions on public markets?

It's not a light issue to disregard and doubt the perfection of the Dhamma Vinaya, and not a light issue to act as a corrupter of families, making favors and serve householders favors.

The Gems require others to let go of common and take on Noble. Monks are not given, not asked, to serve market demands, but might go for such for a living.

Again: it's not for anybodies prosperty to be in relation with Alajjī communities.
Last edited by Johann on Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johann

Post by Johann »

The Buddhaparisa attacking the Buddha.

Monks, as they are more conspicuous than layman and because they are supposed to be devoting their lives to the Three Gems, and because it is known that they have many precepts to keep pure, can attack the Dhamma by misconduct in a more violent way than is possible for laypeople
Again: What's the purpose of seeking refuge in householders preferences? That's Abhidhamma and surely hard to see for those not firm in faith, and blind to their defilements. What's the purpose to splitt people apart for the well taught Dhamna-Vinaya? What's the benefit when those firm attached to world and Mara approach families?
Last edited by Johann on Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
asahi

Post by asahi »

This writing might be uninspiring to many . 🤣
Many monastics has the notion of superiority as though they are standing on higher grounds expecting veneration from others . Taking the robes and sangha orders as backing they becomes brahmin priest like egotistical authority , like a Pharisee . Thats how from an ordinary lay person going forth and turn themselves into a super human category . You cant find humbleness in them , many are Thera and Mahathera , even young monks and nuns behaves like that . That is abnormal . Even many lay buddhists they have this traits of whited sepulchre , unfortunately , a truely plaster saint , there is no truthfulness in them so called the hypocrites . It is a self-deception and narcissistic kind of personality that they are somehow being in a psychologically deluded state . Many non buddhists can tell you these sort of things incase you are unaware of it .
No bashing No gossiping
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I don’t really like political monastics. If I wanted politics I’d just watch CNN or Fox News. Also using credit cards, and I’m not fussed on using mobile phones either.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Johann

Post by Johann »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:03 am I don’t really like political monastics. If I wanted politics I’d just watch CNN or Fox News. Also using credit cards, and I’m not fussed on using mobile phones either.
That means good householder likes to offer a desktop for his food? Or wait till they get a credit-card to serve demands better?
asahi wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:42 am This writing might be uninspiring to many . 🤣 ...
Even if inspiring for many, there are clear advices, good householder, if the relation gradient of Dhamma and service goes the wrong direction or is an exchange. My person would "bet" that good householder would take the following words in the other direction, right?
Bhikkhus, families endowed with seven factors are not suitable to be approached, even if already approached it is not suitable to take a seat. What seven?

Does not rise from the seat happily, does not worship happily, does not offer a seat happily, hide their belongings, gives a little when there is a lot, gives a little of exalted things, gives carelessly. Bhikkhus, families endowed with these seven factors are not suitable to be approached, even if already approached it is not suitable to take a seat.
And if a monk does not appear proper more sublime, than he's possible no refuge and no reminder for Sublime, or one might seek Sublime in equal or common.

Monks aren't homies, shouldn't serve as such, good householder. For it wouldn't be elevating if saluting a mirror.
Radix

Post by Radix »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:12 am My teacher has an idea to do a perception of recluses survey (Samanasaññā survey). It's basically contains questions of the verbal and physical behaviour of monastics beyond the Vinaya to be seen as inspiring or uninspiring to lay people.
Whose fault is it if a person doesn't have faith in the Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha?
Is there any self-identified Buddhist who will not reply to this with, "That person's"?

In other words, if some lay person does not feel "inspired" by something a monastic says or does, this simply gets blamed on the lay person.

It's not like there are any Buddhists who actually care whether someone has faith in the Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha.

Or are there? I'd love to be wrong about this, but I'm afraid I'm not.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Radix

Post by Radix »

Johann wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:01 amMonks aren't homies, shouldn't serve as such, good householder.
Indeed. And they should be willing to die from hunger.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Radix wrote:And they should be willing to die from hunger.
While that's pretty impressive, it's nothing compared to this:
MN 21 wrote:"Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves.
Johann

Post by Johann »

Radix wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:54 pm
Johann wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:01 amMonks aren't homies, shouldn't serve as such, good householder.
Indeed. And they should be willing to die from hunger.
Good householder,

Atma (my person) does not no one Upasaka/Upasika who would ever say "they should be willing to die from hunger" since there are those who don't seek out for their favors. Yet, with such "demand-attitude" one would never met, never see really, get into relation for one's welfare, release.

Good to simple remember one's duties:
"In five ways, young householder, should a householder minister to ascetics and brahmans as the Zenith:

(i) by goodwilling deeds,
(ii) by goodwilling words,
(iii) by goodwilling thoughts,
(iv) by keeping open house to them,
(v) by supplying their material needs.

"The ascetics and brahmans thus ministered to as the Zenith by a householder show their compassion towards him in six ways:

(i) they restrain him from evil,
(ii) they persuade him to do good,
(iii) they have goodwill with a kind heart,
(iv) they make him hear what he has not heard,
(v) they clarify what he has already heard,
(vi) they point out the path to a heavenly state.
The conditions have a single direction to fulfill: upwardly, never down.
santa100 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:32 pm
Radix wrote:And they should be willing to die from hunger.
While that's pretty impressive, it's nothing compared to this:
MN 21 wrote:"Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves.
Yes, even they "tread a Bhikkhuni or even an householder", it's asked to remain in the domain of metta.

Like a child can not see, is blind, denies, the goodness of parents, till possible adult, likewise, a lay follower can not see, is blind, denies, the goodness of those forming the womb of the Noble domain, till they reach the stream.

Less have even a small possibility to take birth as there are plenty of more luring wombs around, wombs which would actually require the assemble of the Sangha. Once corrupted, it's hard to ever find to those on the path beyond.