Meditation against zoning out (covid side effect?).

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Alex123

Meditation against zoning out (covid side effect?).

Post by Alex123 »

Hello all.

I seem to notice that sometimes I "zone out" in daily life (especially when studying from a textbook), and assume it happens too often in my long meditation sittings.
I wonder,
- what kind of meditation helps to deal with that (samatha, "vipassana")?
- How should I modify my meditation to watch for blanking/zoning out?

Thank you.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Meditation against zoning out (covid side effect?).

Post by Sam Vara »

Alex123 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:00 pm Hello all.

I seem to notice that sometimes I "zone out" in daily life (especially when studying from a textbook), and assume it happens too often in my long meditation sittings.
I wonder,

Thank you.
For "zoning out" during meditation, I would recommend something that keeps your mind really sharp and on the present moment. Counting is good, especially counting breaths. (If you are not familiar with the techniques, let us know and I can recommend a couple).

Having said that, I honestly don't know whether zoning out in daily life is due to an undeveloped ability to focus which you can build up in meditation; or whether too much focus at other times can just make the mind tired so it needs to rest. I have to admit that for daily life and studying I rely on coffee! It doesn't seem to affect the meditation at all.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:51 pm For "zoning out" during meditation, I would recommend something that keeps your mind really sharp and on the present moment. Counting is good, especially counting breaths. (If you are not familiar with the techniques, let us know and I can recommend a couple).
Often I do use breath counting in the beginning of meditation ( count 1 on breath in & out, then 2... Up to 10. Then count from 1 to 9. Then 1 to 8, and so on). Maybe I should do more of them, but it does wear me out so that I why I usually do one cycle. Then a bit of "buddho" with breathing, then maybe body sweeping, then just watch the breath.

Having said that, I honestly don't know whether zoning out in daily life is due to an undeveloped ability to focus which you can build up in meditation; or whether too much focus at other times can just make the mind tired so it needs to rest.
The latter seems to be the case. I don't have much energy, and that is probably one of the factors.

Thank you for your reply! :namaste:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Alex123 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:09 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:51 pm For "zoning out" during meditation, I would recommend something that keeps your mind really sharp and on the present moment. Counting is good, especially counting breaths. (If you are not familiar with the techniques, let us know and I can recommend a couple).
Often I do use breath counting in the beginning of meditation ( count 1 on breath in & out, then 2... Up to 10. Then count from 1 to 9. Then 1 to 8, and so on). Maybe I should do more of them, but it does wear me out so that I why I usually do one cycle.
Yes, that's the sort of thing I mean. Where you have a complicated arrangement that can easily come adrift unless you stay sharp and focused. It's hard going at times, and there are times when I feel really sluggish and it's the last thing I want to do. But perhaps if you try forcing yourself and see what happens - as a type of experiment. Does it completely wear you out, or do you gradually master it and then feel better? Only one way to find out, and if you commit to doing in no more than a handful of times then no damage is done.

Overall, if you are recovering from covid I would recommend looking after your body really well. Good food, sunshine if you can get it, and plenty of good sleep.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:22 pm Yes, that's the sort of thing I mean. Where you have a complicated arrangement that can easily come adrift unless you stay sharp and focused. It's hard going at times, and there are times when I feel really sluggish and it's the last thing I want to do. But perhaps if you try forcing yourself and see what happens - as a type of experiment. Does it completely wear you out, or do you gradually master it and then feel better? Only one way to find out, and if you commit to doing in no more than a handful of times then no damage is done.
I will try to do many cycles and see what happens.

I had some strange sicknesses in the past 1-2... I did notice worse problems with attention start appearing after them, hence why I asked this question. It could be that I am getting older, who knows...

As for sunshine... It is below freezing here, sometimes it is very cold (-20C , -4F) ..

Thank you, Sam Vara! :namaste:
Meggo

Post by Meggo »

Walking meditation and Mahasi Sayadaw Noting meditation work well for dullness.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

As far as covid goes, you will need to speak to a doctor to rule out post-covid brain fog. Otherwise you'll never know.
Radix

Post by Radix »

Alex123 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:00 pmAs for sunshine... It is below freezing here, sometimes it is very cold (-20C , -4F) ..
In my experience, concentration and energy level improve if I am consistently more physically active, especially outside in the sun. It also helps if I am properly groomed and dressed. I've noticed that some types of clothes invite a lazy or otherwise low-energy approach to living, and so just make everything worse.

Note the dangers of microsleep: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsleep
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

A step above Breath Counting is Mantra Recitation. :smile: .
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

What happens if you take the "zoning out" as the object of meditation?
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Alex123 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:00 pm Hello all.

I wonder,

Thank you.
Recollection of the Buddha, Dhamma or Sangha. Recollection of devas, element meditation, foulness meditation. Those are all quite "active" meditations.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Radix wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:24 pm
Alex123 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:00 pmAs for sunshine... It is below freezing here, sometimes it is very cold (-20C , -4F) ..
In my experience, concentration and energy level improve if I am consistently more physically active, especially outside in the sun.
+1. Definitely advise one should not lock themselves inside a room to meditate all day. Make sure to set aside some time for outdoor exercises, especially outdoor cardios, they're great for preventing sloth/torpor once one goes back inside to meditate.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

santa100 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:27 pm +1. Definitely advise one should not lock themselves inside a room to meditate all day. Make sure to set aside some time for outdoor exercises, especially outdoor cardios, they're great for preventing sloth/torpor once one goes back inside to meditate.
When it is very cold outside (sometimes -20C / -4F). windy, slippery and dark... I'd rather stay inside of my room.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Dhammapardon wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:44 pm What happens if you take the "zoning out" as the object of meditation?
Very interesting question... Though how can one be directly aware of unawareness?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

What is zoning out?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”