Monks have become the voice of people in Sri Lanka.

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I am against the monks involved in politics in principle.
However, the freedom of speech is decimated in Sri Lanka and only the monks can come forward.
The government is still scared of the monks.
:shrug:

The video is in Sinhalese. But the video message is very clear.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
rajitha7

Re: Monks have become the voice of people in Sri Lanka.

Post by rajitha7 »

Everyone has roles and responsibilites towards self and the wider community.

So what is the role and responsibilites a monk should fulfil?
It's all -> here
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

If freedom of speech is being eroded then that is a dreadful shame. Monks could broach the subject via Dhamma teachings... not protesting like householders.

For all the racism that is aimed at Western Buddhists (by some) it seems that the West is the only place to find Buddhism in the main, living apart from politics, nationalism and sectarianism.

Many of your posts highlight the sectarian strife in Sri Lanka and the nationalist stridency in some sects.

As there exists in Myanmar, Thailand & Tibet... although Tibetan Buddhism seems to have had nationalistic & political underpinnings from the off.

I was recently reading one of your posts where your outrage was aimed at a Sri Lankan monk for only teaching the suttas... it seems Buddhavacana has an uphill struggle in parts of Sri Lanka.
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

Hi:

Uhmm i dont like monks doing that, there are no rules prohibiting that behaviour?.

Maybe a more subtle way.

Regards
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

2600htz wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:56 pm Hi:

Uhmm i dont like monks doing that, there are no rules prohibiting that behaviour?.

Maybe a more subtle way.

Regards
In my opinion, this is not in line with the Vinaya.
The way I understand the 227 rules apply only to Upasampada monks, not the Samanera monks.
I believe these are Samanera monks.
The have to obey only the ten precepts.
Perhaps we need some input from a senior monk in this forum.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Instead of creating another post, I thought of posting this video.
This Tittagalle Anandasiri is a prominent Abhidhamma teacher in Sri Lanka. I have listened to many of his videos and had great respect for him when he started his journey a few years back. Now he has become very famous and rich and his supporters are all over the world.
Recently he went to Egypt and celebrated his birthday with his followers.
Watch the video.

rajitha7

Post by rajitha7 »

So a Buddhist can be in 2 roles. Householder or monk.
Then the Exalted One, realizing the turn their discussion had taken, entered the pavilion, sat down on the prepared seat, and addressed the bhikkhus: “What kind of discussion were you holding just now, bhikkhus? What was the subject of your conversation?”
When the Buddha addresses his audience "bhikkhus", there are both householders and monks listening to him.

Bikkhu -> A person who has listened to a sermon from an Ariya and visted one of 4 locations in order to enter the path.

Sanga -> A person who has at least become a Sottappana. The Buddha does not advice a Sanga as he is already on his way. That is why he always addresses Bikkhus.

Pabbaja -> A monk who can be either Bikkhu or Sanga.

A Pabbaja is different to a house holder as he has taken the oath of Uppa-Sampajja-Viharati i.e. he has promised to sacrifice his entire time to entering the path. In exchange, the house holders gives him shelter, feeds him etc.

So in Buddha's time, the monkhood was the fast-track to entering the path. Today, its the complete opposite doing all kinds of otheer stuff other than honoring the oath taken . They do not even qualify as Bikkhu let alone Sanga. They all commit "Sanga-Beda" i.e. corrupt the doctorine for himself and others blocking or "Beda" path from Bikkhu -> Sanga.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. Its been 11 years since the real history of the Buddha was and his Dhamma was revealed. 99% of them don't understand any of it.

So it quite true when he said, only very rarely one is able to find liberation. Only a tiny percentage make it.
It's all -> here
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

rajitha7 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:41 am So a Buddhist can be in 2 roles. Householder or monk.
Then the Exalted One, realizing the turn their discussion had taken, entered the pavilion, sat down on the prepared seat, and addressed the bhikkhus: “What kind of discussion were you holding just now, bhikkhus? What was the subject of your conversation?”
When the Buddha addresses his audience "bhikkhus", there are both householders and monks listening to him.

Bikkhu -> A person who has listened to a sermon from an Ariya and visted one of 4 locations in order to enter the path.

Sanga -> A person who has at least become a Sottappana. The Buddha does not advice a Sanga as he is already on his way. That is why he always addresses Bikkhus.

Pabbaja -> A monk who can be either Bikkhu or Sanga.

A Pabbaja is different to a house holder as he has taken the oath of Uppa-Sampajja-Viharati i.e. he has promised to sacrifice his entire time to entering the path. In exchange, the house holders gives him shelter, feeds him etc.

So in Buddha's time, the monkhood was the fast-track to entering the path. Today, its the complete opposite doing all kinds of otheer stuff other than honoring the oath taken . They do not even qualify as Bikkhu let alone Sanga. They all commit "Sanga-Beda" i.e. corrupt the doctorine for himself and others blocking or "Beda" path from Bikkhu -> Sanga.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. Its been 11 years since the real history of the Buddha was and his Dhamma was revealed. 99% of them don't understand any of it.

So it quite true when he said, only very rarely one is able to find liberation. Only a tiny percentage make it.
I have never seen this categorization.
Please provide the reference for your source.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Umandawa introduces QR code tracing to enter this temple. I call it a cult.
By the way, I have mentioned Pitiduwa Sirdhamma or Samantha Badra many times.
The layman in the photo is the chief of the Sri Lankan central bank (with his wife).

Johann

Post by Johann »

SarathW wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:06 am Monks have become the voice of people in Sri Lanka.
So your wouldn't actually praise them and even give donations if not virtuous monks give your free of what yours desire? Doesn't good householder not go just after those voicing for his desires?

It isn't a national issue, but a global, to fall for serving the "poor": crowd-fonding...
Johann

Post by Johann »

SarathW wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:22 pm
2600htz wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:56 pm Hi:

Maybe a more subtle way.

Regards
In my opinion, this is not in line with the Vinaya.
The way I understand the 227 rules apply only to Upasampada monks, not the Samanera monks.
I believe these are Samanera monks.
The have to obey only the ten precepts.
Perhaps we need some input from a senior monk in this forum.
Even if, and very literary, good householder, simple the Sekkhayas wouldn't give ways at all, of which are trained and observed by all monks usually.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

SarathW wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:46 pm Instead of creating another post, I thought of posting this video.
This Tittagalle Anandasiri is a prominent Abhidhamma teacher in Sri Lanka. I have listened to many of his videos and had great respect for him when he started his journey a few years back. Now he has become very famous and rich and his supporters are all over the world.
Recently he went to Egypt and celebrated his birthday with his followers.
Watch the video.

Now another video appeared that this is an accidental mishap in a cruise ship in Egypt. It seems this monk happened to be on the ship and the date was the monk's birthday. This appeared to be a normal celebration on a ship.
However, considering the people involved this also could be an advertising stunt for the people involved and the cruise ship agent.
However, this is another reason that we should ignore everything and just concentrate on our practice.
We are living in a very strange world.
SonGoku

Post by SonGoku »

SarathW wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:06 am
However, the freedom of speech is decimated in Sri Lanka and only the monks can come forward ?

since when?
in 1971 in 1989/88 JVP terrorists and goverment terrorists (black-cats, yellow-cat, some army & police members working for politiians) controlled freedom of speech is decimated in Sri Lanka. people killed just for speech ,people killed for listning to radio or tv, people killed cuz went to work on day JVP tell no one should go to work. and LTTE terrorists did those types of things too and jvp,ltte killed people for voting ,they said don't vote ,people went to voting place killed.
now there is no such cases. monks have respect in sri lanka , some use it for good will for country some use it for political agendas.
Majority of temples and all the main pilgrimage sites of sri lanka belong to a cult called Siyam nikaya- it is a cult cuz they only let people from their caste to ordained they still monks in robes so can getaway doing it. monks have lots of respect in sri lanka,some misuse it
In every country there are restriction when come to freedom of speech same even in countries always talk about freedom of speech.
problem is there is freedom of speech but to reach it to majority what you saying you have to pass through gate keepers.
Examples "you can't blames againsts barrack obama for killing millions of civilians", "but you can blame trump. "
you can speech about both of those but gate keepers- fb,google control virality of you.
freedom of speech in sri lanka same as other countries.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

SonGoku wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:07 am
However, the freedom of speech is decimated in Sri Lanka and only the monks can come forward ?

since when?
in 1971 in 1989/88 JVP terrorists and goverment terrorists (black-cats, yellow-cat, some army & police members working for politiians) controlled freedom of speech is decimated in Sri Lanka. people killed just for speech ,people killed for listning to radio or tv, people killed cuz went to work on day JVP tell no one should go to work. and LTTE terrorists did those types of things too and jvp,ltte killed people for voting ,they said don't vote ,people went to voting place killed.
now there is no such cases. monks have respect in sri lanka , some use it for good will for country some use it for political agendas.
Majority of temples and all the main pilgrimage sites of sri lanka belong to a cult called Siyam nikaya- it is a cult cuz they only let people from their caste to ordained they still monks in robes so can getaway doing it. monks have lots of respect in sri lanka,some misuse it
In every country there are restriction when come to freedom of speech same even in countries always talk about freedom of speech.
problem is there is freedom of speech but to reach it to majority what you saying you have to pass through gate keepers.
Examples "you can't blames againsts barrack obama for killing millions of civilians", "but you can blame trump. "
you can speech about both of those but gate keepers- fb,google control virality of you.
freedom of speech in sri lanka same as other countries.
I agree to a certain extent. It seems you got a good knowledge of what is going on in Sri Lanka. However, I still think the freedom of speech in the West is protected to some extent provided you don't support the communists. In Sri Lanka, many are arrested and jailed for just protesting against corrupt politicians.
I think we can't discuss these in this form.
:focus:
SonGoku

Post by SonGoku »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:37 am
SonGoku wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:07 am

I agree to a certain extent. It seems you got a good knowledge of what is going on in Sri Lanka. However, I still think the freedom of speech in the West is protected to some extent provided you don't support the communists. In Sri Lanka, many are arrested and jailed for just protesting against corrupt politicians.
I think we can't discuss these in this form.
:focus:
jailed for just protesting against corrupt politicians.
no they jailed for breaking & entering into president secretariat building.
there was a protest at galle face. and criminal supporters of Gov's politicians attacked that protest.
after that people attacked supporters of Gov's politicians who attacked peacfull innocent protesters (here and there were some cases some fulfilling private agendas).
In case of sri lanka people did not attacked other people's houses or cities for wrong doings of supporters of Gov's politicians. it is not a crazy riot like BLM attack other people for wrong doing of police. BLM litterally you can't critizie when those riots going on. every single one of person criticized(people with decent amount of audience) got deplatformed and medias stop give time to them. you can't criticize zionism and more.
btw western media covered cases in sri lanka like people attacking random people and vehicles and houses like BLM etc jokes in west.
problem in west is when they debate they tend people in to groups. last few years sri lankans too doing it . problem is when some one say a fault of
Mahinda other say he is a supporter of JVP, if said a fault of JVP they say he is a supporter of Mahainda or Ranil.
or some one say things like I said here I will label as a nationalist.
We work with people and marketing campaigns etc on facebook. some posts take weeks even month to remove if those are published in sri lanka when sri lanka GOV tell FB or Youtube to put down those posts (posts like sharing contents of sex scandals of normal people or life threatening posts for normal people). When new zealand case victim's photos posted in fb ,youtube they deleted those photos with in seconds , but when victim's photos posted in fb ,youtube of Sri lanka case they took 5-7 days to remove photos, cuz fb,youtube don't want to people go to other websites to see photos of 2019 case. rempving those photos done by software when a photo marked as a photo should not be publish software can detect it as soon as it uploaded to fb or youtube. but in case of sri lanka they delibaratly delayed that. btw you can't talk those cuz nowhere to talk, if you want to talk about it you have to use fb,youtube too. media also same
how ever this is a buddhist froum it feels like out of topic.
even for situation of Siyam Nikaya, people will say if some one out side from Govigama caste said Siyama nikaya is wrong, some will say he is just jealous there are no such things nowadays. and people have beef with buddhism will come and say see buddhism also same like others faiths etc and debate will turn in to a monkey circus.
If buddhists in sri lanka read DN1 etc they will stop coming to conclusions based on just few evidence . here in sri lanka if monk do a dhamma talk more than 45 mins people start to leave