Monks have become the voice of people in Sri Lanka.

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
SarathW

Re: Monks have become the voice of people in Sri Lanka.

Post by SarathW »

here in sri lanka if monk do a dhamma talk more than 45 mins people start to leave
I think any Dhamma talk longer than one hour is very tiring.
Especially when you don't know the subject matter.
The monk should be clever enough to deliver their message short and sweet.
Even in this forum, I do not read long posts.
I like when people talk to the point in a few words.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SonGoku

Post by SonGoku »

Dilantha

Post by Dilantha »

SonGoku wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:07 am
SarathW wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:06 am
However, the freedom of speech is decimated in Sri Lanka and only the monks can come forward ?

since when?
in 1971 in 1989/88 JVP terrorists and goverment terrorists (black-cats, yellow-cat, some army & police members working for politiians) controlled freedom of speech is decimated in Sri Lanka. people killed just for speech ,people killed for listning to radio or tv, people killed cuz went to work on day JVP tell no one should go to work. and LTTE terrorists did those types of things too and jvp,ltte killed people for voting ,they said don't vote ,people went to voting place killed.
now there is no such cases. monks have respect in sri lanka , some use it for good will for country some use it for political agendas.
Majority of temples and all the main pilgrimage sites of sri lanka belong to a cult called Siyam nikaya- it is a cult cuz they only let people from their caste to ordained they still monks in robes so can getaway doing it. monks have lots of respect in sri lanka,some misuse it
In every country there are restriction when come to freedom of speech same even in countries always talk about freedom of speech.
problem is there is freedom of speech but to reach it to majority what you saying you have to pass through gate keepers.
Examples "you can't blames againsts barrack obama for killing millions of civilians", "but you can blame trump. "
you can speech about both of those but gate keepers- fb,google control virality of you.
freedom of speech in sri lanka same as other countries.
looks like you are completely mis-informed about 88/89 civil war. i dont want to discuss that in here..cos its irrelevant for this forum. You can do more research to that matter and find the truth or keep on believing what you believe.. BTW more and more people in my country slowly realizing the truth now

with metta