Virgin Mary & the Earth as Witness

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
santa100

Re: Virgin Mary & the Earth as Witness

Post by santa100 »

Sam Vara wrote:I don't see the relevance of that, I'm afraid. You are talking about your opinion. What if another person finds that MN 130 is - for the reasons I outlined above - the least plausible and most horrific thing they have read. Which of two accounts is the more plausible and less horrific is a subjective matter. Some don't like floods and filicide, some don't like suffering extending after death.
I don't know if you fail to see the relevance or you deliberately ignore it. Like I said, the Buddha never committed any of the terrible acts like those 3 sample acts I provided WHILE commanded his followers to obey and worship him at the same time, unlike the Bible god, who both committed the acts and commanded his follower to worship him. So all MN 130 described is some horrible environment happens at some realms, NOT some horrible things the Buddha committed. A Buddhist can just brush it aside and the Buddha would be cool with that. But a Christian who stops worshipping his god after hearing about the 3 evil acts god just did, is s/he still a Christian? I don't think so.
Completely relevant, as the topic in hand is merely how people deal with what they find difficult ("contortions") rather than agency.
Nope, completely irrelevant. Buddha never did any of those evil acts WHILE commanding his followers to worship Him. Hence Buddhists are never forced to perform mental contortion to meet both of those requirements, unlike the Bible's god and his followers.
Again, you might not like the idea of a commandment to worship, but others might. It's a matter of opinion. some Christians might say that God does this rightly, him being God.
Oh, because he's god, he should be worshipped while committing terrible terrible acts of terror! Got it!
Er, no. As I keep saying, it's perfectly possible to worship God without believing that you are worshiping a being who did all those naughty things. It's perfectly possible to believe you are worshiping a being who has been imperfectly described in the Old Testament. To love God, and to believe that the stuff about floods, filicidal commandments, and plagues was made up. It didn't happen in the way described. Just as Buddhists don't believe absolutely everything about the Buddha that they find in scriptures. It's tempting to deploy a crude literalism when criticising other religions, but I don't do it with Buddhism and I try to extend the same courtesy to others.
You're talking about picking and choosing what's convenient to you. But you ignore a key fact, the Bible's ridden with so many bad accounts that a Christian would have to throw out a lot of "bad" stuff in order to believe in the remaining "good" stuff. Problem is, if there're so many bad unreliable instances, what guarantee the reliability of the remaining good ones??
Last edited by santa100 on Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I have read that the story of the flood can be found in other sources predating the bible, such as the epic of Gilgamesh. Keeping a couple of animals in the ship is inline with our modern observations of nature. We might divide animals and ourselves into different species, but we cannot escape perceiving the act of breeding as happening between couples. Even the human realm, as known through the sense, presents us with the animal kingdom and the human kingdom. In Buddhism, we have to choose to live either at home or in the forest.

The story of asking Abrhaham to sacrifice his son might sound odd, but it is no less odd than the actions of all humans who decide to have an offspring despite knowing that there is no clear solution to the problem of death, which makes it an act of faith of some sort, with the hope of a happy ending. The Buddhist answer to antinatalism is that we cannot have enlightened beings without sex.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

SarathW wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:23 pm
mental contortions
Can someone explain the meaning of this?
I Google it and can't get the exact meaning.
Do Buddhist have mental contortions?
The way I see it that means each person makes up their own mind.
If that is the case this could be very dangerous when it comes to killing.
Because some people take Jihad as literal in Islam.
The great George Carlin explained it best (note: by "religion", he meant monotheism that worships a god):
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Santa, I know you are a hard man to convince so I just search Youtube and this man will convince you hopefully.
:tongue:

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
santa100

Post by santa100 »

SarathW wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:35 am Santa, I know you are a hard man to convince so I just search Youtube and this man will convince you hopefully.
SarathW, you completely missed the point, I never said I have a problem with the "son"(Jesus Christ), but there're certainly lots of issues with his "dad", as evidenced throughout this thread.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

OK fair enough.
I thought that the sun said the same thing as a dad. (even if he did not say but endorse his dad)
With the limited knowledge I have, I can't separate Christianity from the Bible.
In the same way, I can't separate Buddha from the Tipitaka. (Obviously, Tipitaka was written by someone else in the same way as the Bible.)
As Buddhists, we are very critical of the Tipitaka. We are prepared to accept or criticize it. Perhaps some Christians even went far enough to rewrite the Bible.
:D
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

santa100 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:52 am
SarathW wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:35 am Santa, I know you are a hard man to convince so I just search Youtube and this man will convince you hopefully.
SarathW, you completely missed the point, I never said I have a problem with the "son"(Jesus Christ), but there're certainly lots of issues with his "dad", as evidenced throughout this thread.
Well if Trinitarianism is true then they are all fundamentally the same.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:31 am
At least Jesus didn't utter copious explicit amount of violence like his dad. So from a Buddhist standpoint, maybe progress made in a recent incarnation. Accounts of his life and ministry in the New Testament was pretty good actually..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

santa100 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:39 am
At least Jesus didn't utter copious explicit amount of violence like his dad. So from a Buddhist standpoint, maybe progress made in a recent incarnation..
Did God create Jesus too?
Any reason he created Jesus via Mary without using the same powers to create the world (such as a spontaneous being)?
Or this is another mental contortion?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

SarathW wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:45 am Did God create Jesus too?
Any reason he created Jesus via Mary without using the same powers to create the world (such as a spontaneous being)?
At best it's unnecessary Papanca (ie. Mary and the virgin birth). Buddhists never have to worry about such nuisance like whether Queen Maya was a virgin when she gave birth to the Buddha! So, yes, if you ask me, guess it'd take a decent amount of mental contortion to believe that the virgin Mary gave a virgin birth to Jesus. But hey, seems like the Bible god could do anything and every thing he wants, so who the hell knows for sure...
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

At least Jesus didn't utter copious explicit amount of violence like his dad. So from a Buddhist standpoint, maybe progress made in a recent incarnation. Accounts of his life and ministry in the New Testament was pretty good actually..
In Trinitarianism they are the same being or substance.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:03 am

And so they say
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

santa100 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:51 am
SarathW wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:45 am Did God create Jesus too?
At best it's unnecessary Papanca (ie. Mary and the virgin birth). Buddhists never have to worry about such nuisance like whether Queen Maya was a virgin when she gave birth to the Buddha! So, yes, if you ask me, guess it'd take a decent amount of mental contortion to believe that the virgin Mary gave a virgin birth to Jesus. But hey, seems like the Bible god could do anything and every thing he wants, so who the hell knows for sure...
The suttas do say the Buddha was born from his mothers right side after an elephant entered her womb, and that immediately after being born he could walk and talk.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

santa100 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:03 am
Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:03 am
And so they say
They do yes, and so from that perspective it doesn’t make sense to say the Father did bad things whilst the Son did not.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:04 am The suttas do say the Buddha was born from his mothers right side after an elephant entered her womb, and that immediately after being born he could walk and talk.
They don't say Queen Maya was a virgin when giving birth, which is good.
Last edited by santa100 on Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.