Virgin Mary & the Earth as Witness

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
santa100

Re: Virgin Mary & the Earth as Witness

Post by santa100 »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:14 pm It's a story. Did it actually happen? It makes sense that Christians worship the guy that stories are told about.
oh, so now your standard for this almighty god is to actually see the story becomes a reality first, is that what you are trying to say?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

santa100 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:16 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:14 pm It's a story. Did it actually happen? It makes sense that Christians worship the guy that stories are told about.
oh, so now your standard for this almighty god is to actually see the story becomes a reality first, is that what you are trying to say?
It's not my standard; I've never been anything remotely like a Christian. I'm not sure what the rest of your post means, I'm afraid. Do you mean that people try to make the story real? That they read something in the Old Testament and then try to sacrifice their own sons?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:19 pm It's not my standard; I've never been anything remotely like a Christian. I'm not sure what the rest of your post means, I'm afraid. Do you mean that people try to make the story real? That they read something in the Old Testament and then try to sacrifice their own sons?
And thank you for clearly state that it's not your standard. Let me restate my question, which is very simple: do you think it makes sense the people willingly dismiss the barbecue story as fake WHILE still worshipping the guy who made the order as real? Emphasis: I'm not asking what a Christian thinks, I'm asking what you, Sam Vara, think.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

santa100 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:22 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:19 pm It's not my standard; I've never been anything remotely like a Christian. I'm not sure what the rest of your post means, I'm afraid. Do you mean that people try to make the story real? That they read something in the Old Testament and then try to sacrifice their own sons?
And thank you for clearly state that it's not your standard. Let me restate my question, which is very simple: do you think it makes sense the people willingly dismiss the barbecue story as fake WHILE still worshipping the guy who made the order as real? Emphasis: I'm not asking what a Christian thinks, I'm asking what you, Sam Vara, think.
Yes, because if the story is fake, then the guy never made the order. The order only ever takes place within a fake story.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:29 pm Yes, because if the story is fake, then the guy never made the order. The order only ever takes place within a fake story.
But you are willingly ignore the TONS of other stories that are just as horrid. If that is the pattern, ie. so many fake stories, how can you, Sam Vara, think that it'd make sense to dismiss ALL of those as fake WHILE still believing that the remaining good part about that guy is real? If you go on a job interview for engineering position, and if the interviewer discovers just ONE single LIE you put on your CV/resume, that's all that's needed to kick you out. So unless you're saying the standard for trusting someone as an almighty god to be way way way lower than the standard for trusting and hiring someone as an engineer..
Last edited by santa100 on Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

santa100 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:31 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:29 pm Yes, because if the story is fake, then the guy never made the order. The order only ever takes place within a fake story.
But you are willingly ignore the TONS of other stories that are just as horrid. If that is the pattern, ie. so many fake stories, how can you, Sam Vara, think that it'd make sense to dismiss ALL of those as fake WHILE still believing that the remaining good part about that guy is real? If you go on a job interview for engineering position, and if the interviewer discovers just ONE single LIE you put on your CV/resume, that's all that's needed to kick you out. So unless you're saying the standard for trusting an almighty god to be way way way lower than the standard for trusting and hiring an engineer..
I don't think Christians see the Bible as a set of purportedly true stories, some of which they reject as false. The trust in God comes, I assume, from an experience of his grace and goodness, and the Bible is read in that light. It's not like a CV at all.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:07 pm I don't think Christians see the Bible as a set of purportedly true stories, some of which they reject as false. The trust in God comes, I assume, from an experience of his grace and goodness, and the Bible is read in that light. It's not like a CV at all.
I have no doubt "some" Christians can think like that. But for rational people, it's very much like the CV and the job interview process. And I repeat, If you go on a job interview for engineering position, and if the interviewer discovers just ONE single LIE you put on your CV/resume, that's all that's needed to kick you out. So unless you're saying the standard for trusting someone as an almighty god to be way way way lower than the standard for trusting and hiring someone as an engineer..
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

santa100 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:09 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:07 pm I don't think Christians see the Bible as a set of purportedly true stories, some of which they reject as false. The trust in God comes, I assume, from an experience of his grace and goodness, and the Bible is read in that light. It's not like a CV at all.
I have no doubt "some" Christians can think like that. But for rational people, it's very much like the CV and the job interview process.
"Some Christians" is good enough for me! It covers most of those that I know. If you're saying that Christians shouldn't think that way because it's not rational, then that's another matter.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:15 pm "Some Christians" is good enough for me! It covers most of those that I know. If you're saying that Christians shouldn't think that way because it's not rational, then that's another matter.
As said, "some Christians" are free to do whatever they want. But that doesn't stop rational people from questioning the logic behind their action.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

santa100 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:16 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:15 pm "Some Christians" is good enough for me! It covers most of those that I know. If you're saying that Christians shouldn't think that way because it's not rational, then that's another matter.
As said, "some Christian" are free to do whatever they want. But that doesn't stop rational people from questioning the logic behind their action.
And, as said, it's good to take such a liberal approach, and I'm sure most of the Christians I know would welcome such questions.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:18 pm And, as said, it's good to take such a liberal approach, and I'm sure most of the Christians I know would welcome such questions.
Well, something for them to contemplate about.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

santa100 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:19 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:18 pm And, as said, it's good to take such a liberal approach, and I'm sure most of the Christians I know would welcome such questions.
Of course they woudn't. For they wouldn't have been Christians in the first place.
Sorry, you've lost me again. Why wouldn't they have been Christians in the first place?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:21 pm
Of course they woudn't. For they wouldn't have been Christians in the first place.
Sorry, you've lost me again. Why wouldn't they have been Christians in the first place?
I thought you said Christians wouldn't welcome such question. But if they do, well, that's something for them to contemplate about.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Well, something for them to contemplate about.
Ah, you must have edited your post while I was responding.

Yes, the contemplative tradition is alive and well in Christianity.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

santa100 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:22 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:21 pm
I thought you said Christians wouldn't welcome such question. But if they do, well, that's something for them to contemplate about.
No, would welcome.