Exact process of remembering past lives

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
zerotime

Re: Exact process of remembering past lives

Post by zerotime »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:45 pm It is. It's pubbe-nivāsanussati, knowledge of former abodes or lives; the first of the realisations which the Buddha had on the night of his enlightenment.
in the case of the Buddha's complete Enlightenment, sounds a very important part this:
"...a hundred, a thousand, a hundred thousand, many eons of cosmic contraction, many eons of cosmic expansion, many eons of cosmic contraction & expansion"
that depth is not available for the rest. Some people can review previous lives spontaneously or by accessing into rupa-loka or kamma-loka with manomaya-kaya although without requested high progress. Only to some limit.

I believe this issue appears inside the Dhamma teaching, about the different depth to remember previous lifes for Buddhas, arhants, etcetera. I cannot remember the source.

It seems there is relation between the progress and the depth of those skills.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Exact process of remembering past lives

Post by Sam Vara »

zerotime wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:55 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:45 pm It is. It's pubbe-nivāsanussati, knowledge of former abodes or lives; the first of the realisations which the Buddha had on the night of his enlightenment.
in the case of the Buddha's complete Enlightenment, sounds a very important part this:
"...a hundred, a thousand, a hundred thousand, many eons of cosmic contraction, many eons of cosmic expansion, many eons of cosmic contraction & expansion"
that depth is not available for the rest. Some people can review previous lives spontaneously or by accessing into rupa-loka or kamma-loka with manomaya-kaya although without requested high progress. Only to some limit.

I believe this issue appears inside the Dhamma teaching, about the different depth to remember previous lifes for Buddhas, arhants, etcetera. I cannot remember the source.

It seems there is relation between the progress and the depth of those skills.
Yes, that makes sense to me. :anjali: