have you met a Streanwinner?

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: have you met a Streanwinner?

Post by DNS »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:50 pm
Mahabrahma wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:50 am I've met a number of Awakened people. … my goal is Higher than that. I don't believe Nirvana is a true extinction.
You probably met zero

There is nothing higher than Nirvana

Of course it is extinction
Wha?? I thought you were one of the resident Atmavadins here? You have continuously posted that the Buddha never said there is no soul, that nibbana is not extinction, that Thanissaro is right . . . what happened? Did you have some sort of epiphany overnight?
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

Mahabrahma wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:00 pm
-The Lotus Sutra, Chapter 2.

Maybe you can gain some wisdom there. Hopefully you'll be okay.
Not sure quoting Mahayana scripture on a Theravada site is all that convincing to the locals.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

What kind of Chameleon are you? That of one colour? Better be any colour you like!
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
Dhamma Chameleon

Mahabrahma wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:43 pm What kind of Chameleon are you? That of one colour? Better be any colour you like!
Some colours don't suit me.

Anyway, I have met teachers who I believe are stream winners. As far as I'm aware it's a requirement for a teacher and I have not come across any reasons for doubt.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

I don't disbelieve it. I think it's natural for many people to reach the goal.

On one hand you have many people preaching that Buddhism is the highest Path.

Then these same people turn around and say the goal is too rare and the Path is rarely walked.

It seems like a bit of cognitive dissonance, but such can be healed with the medicine in the form of the Three Jewels' Renowned Dharma.

-Dhammapada.
Dhamma Chameleon

Mahabrahma wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:51 pm On one hand you have many people preaching that Buddhism is the highest Path.

Then these same people turn around and say the goal is too rare and the Path is rarely walked.
I think it's always sensible to beware of people who are passionately for something, because they can become as passionately against it when they hit some obstacle they cannot resolve.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

DNS wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:35 pm I thought you were one of the resident Atmavadins here?
Extinction is extinction

Is not annihilation

This is subtle, this is Buddhism
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:59 pm
DNS wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:35 pm I thought you were one of the resident Atmavadins here?
Extinction is extinction
Is not annihilation
This is subtle, this is Buddhism
Oh, okay, you mean something like extinction of samsara, extinction of suffering.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

What is that phenomena that carries the Saha World and it's inhabitants from moment to moment? Aside from it being called impermanence, understood by Jhana, what is the Source of this continuance, constantly changing?

-Dhammapada.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

DNS wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:01 pm something like … extinction of suffering.
As the Buddha says, "Both formerly and now, monks, I declare only stress and the cessation of stress."
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Both now and forever more, monks, I will be your fluffy pillow and only your fluffy pillow! :heart:

-Dhammapada.
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

mahabrahma wrote
Both now and forever more, monks, I will be your fluffy pillow and only your fluffy pillow! :heart:
Is fluffy pillow a metaphor for Refuge? in other words Both now and forever more, monks, I will be your refuge and only your refuge!
Is it an instance of "The Twilight language" spoken of by Roderick S Bucknell?

Your excerpt from Lotus Sutta has this
But although I preach nirvana,
this is not a true extinction.
No one ever said that Nirvana is a true extinction. An extinction amounts to annihilation?
Realization of selflessness does not mean realization of annihilation. Does it?
With love :candle:
Last edited by Pulsar on Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Pulsar wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:43 pm mahabrahma wrote
Is fluffy pillow a metaphor for Refuge? in other words Both now and forever more, monks, I will be your refuge and only your refuge!
Is it an instance of "The Twilight language" spoken of by Roderick S Bucknell?
I was just paraphrasing that the Buddha is here for much more than giving us easy lives. :candle:

-Dhammapada.
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

Mahabrahma wrote
I was just paraphrasing that the Buddha is here for much more than giving us easy lives. :candle:
Your simile of fluffy pillow did not quite communicate that to me. Perhaps others understood it the way you intended.
Anyways I like fluffy pillows, but never thought of Buddha as a fluffy pillow. From now on, maybe I will. Upon the benevolence of Buddha and Dhamma I rest my head.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

l_rivers wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:26 am 400 million Buddhists in the World. If Buddhism works.... they must be out there. The need for the perspective a sotāpanna would have came up in another thread.
The issue is despite believing it's possible many Buddhists are skeptical if someone tells you they are, especially on the internet where you have anonymity which tends to attract a lot of fake fabrications in any area, not just Buddhism. Conspiracy theories and bogus online rumors are the backbone of the internet. So if someone claims an attainment or having abhinna powers truthfully, they get this social backlash so it's not really encouraged. Not only that. The ppl most likely to have attainments are monks who are not supposed to reveal thier attainments to laypeople. Making it even harder.

Plus. There's apparently a huge disconnect between eBuddhism and real life Buddhism. Real life Buddhists are the most likely to have actually encountered someone with a real attainment or have an attainment themselves. But these ppl aren't that common on forums like this. This forum tends to attract eBuddhists who read the suttas and have extensive knowledge on texts but apparently don't go to temples and interact with real practitioners in real life. So this is the last place u should ask that question. Try visiting some real life temples and asking people.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta