Additional info on the 6th and 8th precepts

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
TRobinson465

Additional info on the 6th and 8th precepts

Post by TRobinson465 »

Hello fellow Samsarans,

Does anyone know where I can find more detail about the details of what's allowed when following the 6th and 8th precepts? Either in the suttas, Vinaya or commentaries.

Namely I'm interested in, what type of food is deemed acceptable for consumption after mid-day from the direct source, as I know there are certain things deemed okay to consume after the fasting period. Like sugar cane and ghee I've heard?

What are the dimensions/traits of a bed considered to be "high and luxurious" and not allowed under the 8th precept.

The 7th precept seems pretty clear about what is and isn't allowed but if there is any source that elaborates beyond what's in the wording of the precept itself id be interested in that too.

:anjali:
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
santa100

Re: Additional info on the 6th and 8th precepts

Post by santa100 »

TRobinson465 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:37 pm Hello fellow Samsarans,

Does anyone know where I can find more detail about the details of what's allowed when following the 6th and 8th precepts? Either in the suttas, Vinaya or commentaries.

Namely I'm interested in, what type of food is deemed acceptable for consumption after mid-day from the direct source, as I know there are certain things deemed okay to consume after the fasting period. Like sugar cane and ghee I've heard?

What are the dimensions/traits of a bed considered to be "high and luxurious" and not allowed under the 8th precept.

The 7th precept seems pretty clear about what is and isn't allowed but if there is any source that elaborates beyond what's in the wording of the precept itself id be interested in that too.

:anjali:
This link provides more info and references suttas on the individual precepts.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

After some digging i found what i was looking for regarding the 6th precept. I will provide it here for the benefit of anyone who has the same question and finds this thread.

Then, while reflecting in private, the Buddha thought, “What tonics might I allow the monks that are generally regarded as tonics, would serve as nourishment, but aren’t considered as substantial food?” It then occurred to him, “There are these five tonics—ghee, butter, oil, honey, and syrup—that are generally regarded as tonics, serve as nourishment, but are not considered as substantial food. Why don’t I allow them these five tonics, to be received and consumed before midday?”
Looks like i was slightly (unintentionally) mislead, i was told sugarcane was allowed, but it was syrup made from sugarcane.

https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-kd6/en/ ... ript=latin
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

just don't eat after solar noon (or midday)
sure you can drink drinks or juice, skip the pulp. you can do honey, etc (the tonics) for medicinal purposes. but you don't need them. and rather than worrying about the correct dimensions of a bed, follow the spirit of it. get a mat and sleep on the floor. i don't but i support those who do. just know the purpose of lying down is to rest the body and to sleep for health. indulgence in it is the problem. don't adhere to precepts in and of themselves or you won't break the sīlabbataparāmāsa fetter. :namaste:
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested