‘Buddhist’ Teachers to Watch Out For

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: ‘Buddhist’ Teachers to Watch Out For

Post by Sam Vara »

jwstone wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:06 pm Is there an ongoing list of teachers to stay away from? lol I've only been studying for about 6 months, so I wouldn't know right away.
Not anything like an official one. One person's charlatan or abuser is another person's guru! That's something you will have to make up your own mind about.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:05 pm
jwstone wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:06 pm Is there an ongoing list of teachers to stay away from? lol I've only been studying for about 6 months, so I wouldn't know right away.
Not anything like an official one. One person's charlatan or abuser is another person's guru! That's something you will have to make up your own mind about.
Good guidelines to follow is the basics of Buddhism and the incentive structure.

Do they teach anything contrary to the 5 precepts or the 10 right views? thats usually a red flag

Does it seem like the people in charge are abusing the most devoted adherents or are benefitting personally from the structure. A good example, Goenka is often referred to as cultish by e-Buddhists due to thier devoted following but pretty much any effective religious org has some cult-like attributes. But considering Goenka does most of their things for free theres no reason to think theres any charlatanism involved. This is a bit different from another big meditation org like TM, which like goenka, also has some elements of secretive-ism and and devoted following, but unlike goenka, literally charges for everything, wont put thier technique online for free, and tries to sue people who reveal how to do thier technique cuz it cuts into thier bottom line. TM isnt buddhist but such traits are usually a red flag.

That said, the internet is terrible for getting the right info on "controversial" orgs regardless of religion. You have to kinda see for yourself how they are really run and just use guidelines like incentive structure to see if you shouldnt get involved. As Sam says above, one persons legitimate charlatan is another's guru, one persons legitimate guru is another's internet based charlatan. You have to come and see for yourself
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

I agree with Sam Vara above. It's something that you have to learn to be sensitive about, not only when it comes to teachers, but people in general.

Anyway, this is probably the closest to what you're looking for: https://viewonbuddhism.org/controversy- ... nable.html
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Kumara wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:02 am Anyway, this is probably the closest to what you're looking for: https://viewonbuddhism.org/controversy- ... nable.html
That's quite a list! (unfortunately)

A couple of entries have links to DW conversations, for reference.

I always wondered what happens to some of those teachers who fall from grace? For example, Sakyong Mipham no longer regularly teaches at Shambhala in the U.S. but does he still get to live (quite comfortably in a nice place from what I've heard) at the mountain retreat center with his wife and kids? Does the community still have to support him for all his financial needs?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

DNS wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:30 pm I always wondered what happens to some of those teachers who fall from grace? For example, Sakyong Mipham no longer regularly teaches at Shambhala in the U.S. but does he still get to live (quite comfortably in a nice place from what I've heard) at the mountain retreat center with his wife and kids? Does the community still have to support him for all his financial needs?
Guess that's the advantage of being a "Dhamma teacher" or a cult leader. It's job security for life cuz no matter how badly one screws up, there'll always be followers to support them for the rest of their life.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Kumara wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:02 am
I agree with Sam Vara above. It's something that you have to learn to be sensitive about, not only when it comes to teachers, but people in general.

Anyway, this is probably the closest to what you're looking for: https://viewonbuddhism.org/controversy- ... nable.html
Oh my goodness, they are everywhere!
Clearly, the stated behaviors if proven are not consistent with those who are finished with samsara.
Far from it are they.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

DNS wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:30 pm

That's quite a list! (unfortunately)

That website literally says they havent even verified the claims, but posted the list simply for awareness. Which i think is fine. Its good to at least have your head up when doing the real research of seeing what fits the bill or not.
I always wondered what happens to some of those teachers who fall from grace? For example, Sakyong Mipham no longer regularly teaches at Shambhala in the U.S. but does he still get to live (quite comfortably in a nice place from what I've heard) at the mountain retreat center with his wife and kids? Does the community still have to support him for all his financial needs?
If they were legitimately expelled then the org/community doesnt support them. but of course some individual followers still will. It happens in every single religion.

Even in politics it happens, i know some people here in the States that legitimately believed there was some secret genius plan to take the white house from Biden after Trump lost the last election.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

DNS wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:30 pm I always wondered what happens to some of those teachers who fall from grace? For example, Sakyong Mipham no longer regularly teaches at Shambhala in the U.S. but does he still get to live (quite comfortably in a nice place from what I've heard) at the mountain retreat center with his wife and kids? Does the community still have to support him for all his financial needs?
It's almost certain that there are die-hard followers who believe that the teacher was simply falsely accused.

Consider Peoples Temple. Even years after the mass murder in Guyana, there were still followers.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Kumara wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:03 am
It's almost certain that there are die-hard followers who believe that the teacher was simply falsely accused.

Consider Peoples Temple. Even years after the mass murder in Guyana, there were still followers.
The Heaven’s Gate website is still running thanks to two still living dedicated members.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Kumara wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:03 am
In the case of Sakyong Mipham, it's not about being falsely accused; he has admitted to misconduct and apologized. But I know, even with that, some will still follow a person like that.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

DNS wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:41 pm In the case of Sakyong Mipham, it's not about being falsely accused; he has admitted to misconduct and apologized. But I know, even with that, some will still follow a person like that.
In this case, he's likely not a psychopath, but somewhat a 'victim' of circumstances, of getting caught up in the gains, honour, and fame, and lost his moral compass.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Kumara wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:02 am Anyway, this is probably the closest to what you're looking for: https://viewonbuddhism.org/controversy- ... estionable.
Interesting, that list is very light on Theravadins. I'm not sure if that means we are better at avoiding producing dodgy teachers or that the author doesn't have much source information on Theravadins.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

Goofaholix wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:33 am Interesting, that list is very light on Theravadins. I'm not sure if that means we are better at avoiding producing dodgy teachers or that the author doesn't have much source information on Theravadins.
Looking at his website, he's obviously far more familiar with the Vajrayana landscape.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Kumara wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:00 am In this case, he's likely not a psychopath, but somewhat a 'victim' of circumstances, of getting caught up in the gains, honour, and fame, and lost his moral compass.
See for example this post (warning NSFW):

https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 09#p453709

Just my opinion, but I think teachers who do this, if not arrested, should at least be defrocked and told to find a regular lay life job. At the very least they should not be allowed to continue living like a royal of the community.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

DNS wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:13 am
Kumara wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:00 am In this case, he's likely not a psychopath, but somewhat a 'victim' of circumstances, of getting caught up in the gains, honour, and fame, and lost his moral compass.
See for example this post (warning NSFW):

https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 09#p453709

Just my opinion, but I think teachers who do this, if not arrested, should at least be defrocked and told to find a regular lay life job. At the very least they should not be allowed to continue living like a royal of the community.
Hope you don't get me wrong. Victim of circumstances or not, bad behaviour is bad behaviour. Still, I don't see how anyone could get him to disrobe. You just have to let the law of kamma do its job.

There's a Malaysian lay guru who has been accused of sexual misconduct with his students too some years back. I was told he had confessed and apologised. It seems since then nothing happen, but I'm not so sure if he would be keeping that way.

As I understand, the Vajrayana tradition demands some kind of loyalty and devotion to the guru, and surely this creates a huge opportunity for exploitation.