Unsupported Answers

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Digger

Unsupported Answers

Post by Digger »

I understand that there are topics with controversial or conflicting views. But I often see questions asked where the answers given have zero support in the Pali texts, or conflict with what is said in the Pali text, etc. My suggestion is that Dhamma Wheel require (where applicable) or recommend (for topics not specifically discussed in the Pali texts) that answers be accompanied with links to locations in the Pali text that support the given answers "so that in answering you will speak in line with what the Blessed One has said, will not misrepresent the Blessed One with what is unfactual, will answer in line with the Dhamma, and no one whose thinking is in line with the Dhamma will have grounds for criticizing you"

SN 22.2 PTS: S iii 5 CDB i 856 Devadaha Sutta: At Devadaha
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
SDC

Re: Unsupported Answers

Post by SDC »

This is the intended purpose of the “Theravada for Beginners” Subforum, but seems an unsustainable requirement across the rest of the forum.

There is a tremendous amount of responsibility when sharing Dhamma views, but there is just as much on behalf of the reader of those views to thoroughly investigate their accuracy. Developing in Dhamma requires lots of hard work, and during the information gathering stage a person should start developing their skills in discernment and honesty, learning to realize that development depends on their effort, and although some sources may seem more trustworthy than others, it is their responsibility to cross reference any unsupported claims.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
befriend

Post by befriend »

If your referring to my post in the abortion/ conversion thread I apologize I was up to 3 in the morning and my post might not make any sense it was ambiguous. I should keep my mouth shut when I'm not talking from experience or Dhamma.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

That would massively reduce the activity on this forum. Who has the time to track down citations and quote sources ?
This is not an academic journal.

Someone else recently suggested every time a sutta is quoted, we should start by typing Namo tassa bagavato arahato samma sambuddhasa three times. Pure fanatic insanity.
Digger

Post by Digger »

To Befriend: No relation to your post. I did not even see your post.

To James: If it reduces answers and opinions on this forum that are not in line with the actual doctrine, I think that is a good thing. Not sure why you are mentioning that text being typed 3 times in relation to my post. Are you suggesting that my suggestion for answering questions in line with and supported by the actual doctrine is pure fanatic insanity?
He is different. He thinks.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Digger wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:11 pm Are you suggesting that my suggestion for answering questions in line with and supported by the actual doctrine is pure fanatic insanity?
Don't worry, not you. I was just illustrating that many different people have various impractical suggestions on what should be done on an anonymous internet forum.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Digger wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:14 pm I understand that there are topics with controversial or conflicting views. But I often see questions asked where the answers given have zero support in the Pali texts, or conflict with what is said in the Pali text, etc. My suggestion is that Dhamma Wheel require (where applicable) or recommend (for topics not specifically discussed in the Pali texts) that answers be accompanied with links to locations in the Pali text that support the given answers "so that in answering you will speak in line with what the Blessed One has said, will not misrepresent the Blessed One with what is unfactual, will answer in line with the Dhamma, and no one whose thinking is in line with the Dhamma will have grounds for criticizing you"

SN 22.2 PTS: S iii 5 CDB i 856 Devadaha Sutta: At Devadaha
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
This is a good point however not possible to make it mandatory.
I have seen here in Dhamma Wheel some people intentionally slander the Buddha by posting Adhamma.
Perhaps what you can do is add them to your fore list so you will not see their posts.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Not everything is in the suttas. Plenty of skillful practices and ideas in line with the dhamma exist and are worth sharing. For example, vipassana meditation in general is never mentioned in the pali canon, yet is in line with it.
Radix

Post by Radix »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:28 pmThat would massively reduce the activity on this forum.
As if that would be a bad thing.
Someone else recently suggested every time a sutta is quoted, we should start by typing Namo tassa bagavato arahato samma sambuddhasa three times. Pure fanatic insanity.
And there I was thinking Buddhists love the Dhamma and are glad and grateful that the Buddha taught it and that the people in his lineage preserve(d) it.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
zerotime

Post by zerotime »

Digger wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:14 pm But I often see questions asked where the answers given have zero support in the Pali texts, or conflict with what is said in the Pali text, etc.
then you can write the source supporting the right view and other people will be clarified
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

zerotime wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:08 pm
Digger wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:14 pm But I often see questions asked where the answers given have zero support in the Pali texts, or conflict with what is said in the Pali text, etc.
then you can write the source supporting the right view and other people will be clarified
It is a general courtesy to give source support where possible.
This will help some people spread Adhamma domineeringly (Attanomatika) in this forum.
It is the responsibility of the person who makes the post to make sure what he is saying is correct.
Otherwise, the person can use the words such as "the way I understand" or "in my opinion" etc.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
zerotime

Post by zerotime »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:29 pm It is a general courtesy to give source support where possible.
This will help some people spread Adhamma domineeringly (Attanomatika) in this forum.
It is the responsibility of the person who makes the post to make sure what he is saying is correct.
Otherwise, the person can use the words such as "the way I understand" or "in my opinion" etc.
indeed that's another good way