Root canal treatment

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
bhante dhamma

Root canal treatment

Post by bhante dhamma »

Sukhī hotu, felicitations in the Triple Gem to you all, just wondering if anyone has had root canal treatment? How was your experience, tossing up between takikg the tooth out and that, mine is lower back left, the infection has gone done but without an X-ray the dentist said he thinks the tooth is dead, one Lyman said he had it and then a week later it fell out, coincidentally Bht A.citta has had it and there were problems also, so am thinking maybe it's less complicated if it's just removed? And to compensate for lack of tooth just remember to cheW evenly on each side? Thanks in advance.
SarathW

Re: Root canal treatment

Post by SarathW »

I can give any personal opinion but I know some people have done it.
Make sure you go to a good dentist as it can fail.
After the root canal, they will put a crown.
It is an expensive treatment and dentists love it.
There are tons of Youtube videos about root canal treatment.

For the time being:
Dilute 3.0% peroxide twice with water and wash your mouth.
Brush your teeth with baking soda or salt.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I guess there are different types of root canal work, and dentists with different levels of skill. But I had one done several years ago, and after the unpleasantness of the procedure, it has given me no trouble at all. I forget which tooth it is now.
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

Metta.

By my experience -
For medical, low maintenance & pain free is preferable. (to me).
Removal is much carefree than root canal. It reduces dependency on sponsors. It eliminates infection & pain from the particular once for all.

I had opted out root canal in favor of pulling it out. I didn't experience function loss.

To convince doctor with removal, does take some determination as dentists here, not only quite eloquent, is also cautious in approval of a 'lesser' treatment.

p.s. I am laity who don't handle money & extension. Reducing dependency is a priority & factor for me.
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

I had a root canal last year. It was no big deal. It required two visits to the dental surgeon. The first was to clean out the canal and inject antibiotic. The second, two weeks later, was to clean out anything remaining and install the filling. The drilling was unpleasant, but not painful, and it didn't take long. I couldn't honestly understand why people fear them so much. I found it not significantly worse than a regular filling. On the other hand, the nerve in the tooth was already dead. It would likely be more painful with a live nerve.

Kathy
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Not a big deal. Getting a tooth pulled is a bigger deal. Listen to the dentist/endodontist.
asahi

Post by asahi »

I had done it past year . In my place it is quite expensive , not including crowning . If you find a good dentist/endodontist it would be worth to keep the tooth . Sometimes it might take 3 , 4 or more times to visit if the dentist is not very proficient . Taking X-ray can be unpleasant if the tooth is at the inner end side .
No bashing No gossiping
Gwi II

Post by Gwi II »

bhante dhamma wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:10 am Sukhī hotu, felicitations in the Triple Gem to you all, just wondering if anyone has had root canal treatment? How was your experience, tossing up between takikg the tooth out and that, mine is lower back left, the infection has gone done but without an X-ray the dentist said he thinks the tooth is dead, one Lyman said he had it and then a week later it fell out, coincidentally Bht A.citta has had it and there were problems also, so am thinking maybe it's less complicated if it's just removed? And to compensate for lack of tooth just remember to cheW evenly on each side? Thanks in advance.
Maybe the post is old.
I'm in the left canine. Why was it removed??
Better RCT (though expensive). Before that, it
was festering. When doing the RCT, I didn't
experience the slightest pain (the doctor was
confused) coz before that I was taking this medicine:
Screenshot_20230810-215250_Opera Mini.jpg
* usually said "medicine farmer pict".

The blood comes out a lot when I took the medicine.
If not, it is hard, unable to chew food (pain when chewing).
People said the RCT very painful. So, take that medicine before
the RCT (if the medicine is working, blood will come out of
your gum [no pain]).

Now it's cured!
Gwi: "There are only-two Sakaṽādins:
Theraṽādå&Ṽibhajjaṽādå, the rest are
nonsakaṽādins!"
bhante dhamma

Post by bhante dhamma »

?
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

Gwi II wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:08 pm I'm in the left canine. Why was it removed??

your gum [no pain]).

Now it's cured!
I used to look down on traditional medicine when I was young. I thought I was more 'modern' and more 'educated' than my relatives who used them. Turns out that I was the 'mis-educated' one.
Gwi II

Post by Gwi II »

Kumara wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:37 am
Gwi II wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:08 pm I'm in the left canine. Why was it removed??

your gum [no pain]).

Now it's cured!
I used to look down on traditional medicine when I was young. I thought I was more 'modern' and more 'educated' than my relatives who used them. Turns out that I was the 'mis-educated' one.
I think it's not only you, there are also many
people like that, in here or many countries.

I don't want to take chemical drugs.
I always prever traditional medicine. :thumbsup:
Traditional medicine is faster in healing
AND WITHOUT SIDE EFFECTS.
Gwi: "There are only-two Sakaṽādins:
Theraṽādå&Ṽibhajjaṽādå, the rest are
nonsakaṽādins!"
bhante dhamma

Post by bhante dhamma »

Hi there, rather than good/bad like dislike, maybe some sati pañña might help with generating a wholesome sth perhaps.

What kills bacteria in a root canal?
Sodium Hypochlorite (NaOCl) is among the most effective irrigants for eliminating microbes. Its antibacterial effectiveness is a function of concentration and contact time (Baumgartner et al., 2007).
https://www.sciencedirect.com › pii
Knowledge and practices of decontamination during root canal ...

Can antibiotics heal a root canal?
Although the antibiotics minimize the swelling and the infection, it will not heal the tooth. Your symptoms may subside, but they will quickly return if the tooth is not treated with root canal therapy because the source of the issue has not been resolved, such as decay.

Is it better to have a root canal or pull the tooth?
Overall, root canal therapy is easier and time-saving. Endodontic treatment has a high rate of success, with results that last a lifetime. With minimum time and discomfort, your tooth can be saved. And, no bridge, denture, or even implant will feel exactly like your natural tooth.

My RCT failed after ten + years and even tho gets infected from time to time seems easier to let it be, what's your experience?