Where is everyone (sotapanna-s)? or Sutta study for Awakening.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Re: Where is everyone (sotapanna-s)? or Sutta study for Awakening.

Post by Ceisiwr »

User13866 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:44 pm They assert that Unconditioned is actually a conditioned element and that it's name is not representative of what it is.

As if i had a boat and named this boat 'a woman' and was to say 'a boat is a woman'. Similarly they assert that the unconditioned is merely a name for a conditioned phenomena.

Ceisiwr from DW is a good example of one holding this view
The position of Theravāda and, if I recall, Sarvāstivāda-Vaibhāṣika and some other early schools was that nibbāna is cognised at the mind base. The All is the totality of what can be known. Since nibbāna can be known, and since its not cognised with sight, touch, hearing etc, then it is included as amongst the objects of the mind base.
Therein what is ideational base? The aggregate of feeling, aggregate of perception, aggregate of mental concomitants and that invisible non-impingent material quality included in the ideational base; the unconditioned element.
https://suttacentral.net/vb2/en/thittil ... ight=false

Now this is a dualist view of nibbāna. In these systems of thought nibbāna is a dhamma which exists in it's own right, and it is this dhamma which is cognised at the mind. There is of course the other view that there is no difference between saṃsāra and nibbāna. On said view, nibbāna is saṃsāra correctly understood. Even here though, I think, an argument can be made for including nibbāna within the All.
This is the assertion he makes;

He asserts that a person becomes an Arahant merely by a deep understanding of the Dhamma and with that he is not reborn because his mind is 'unconditioned'.

Thus he asserts that the unconditioned element is merely a name for the conditioned mind of the Arahant, hence he says "the unconditioned is included among the conditioned".

For evidence he will say
* Isn't it so that in attaining Arahantship one attains Nibbana [removal of delusion]?
* Isn't it so that Nibbana is Unconditioned?

However this is quite reprehensible because the mind of the Arahant is never in he texts called neither Nibbana or Unconditioned.
I've not argued that the Arahant's mind is nibbāna. In fact I've consistently argued against viewing nibbāna as being some kind of mind/consciousness/awareness.
Furthermore those who hold to interpretation A) are completely lost when it comes to explaining cessation of perception & feeling.

Ceisiwr just says 'it's like being dead'. This is of course meaningless because what is that exactly?

In Theravada death is the break up of the body and a consequent taking up of another body, being dead is not really anything other than that.
The suttas themselves make the comparison with a dead body. Furthermore, it is impossible to have conciousness without perception & feeling according to the suttas. It's impossible to have any conciousness without contact, because there is no recognition of a consciousness arising or existing independently in the earliest material (nor later ones). On nibbāna being "bliss", sukha can be used in different ways in the suttas. Sometimes its rather technical and specific (5 faculties) but are other times more a figure of speech. For example, there is said to be the "bliss" of equanimity. Equanimity is not bliss though, it's equanimity. The "bliss" here is a manner of speech. This is how the commentaries read nibbāna being bliss, and its how I read it too. In fact, its the only way to read it since bliss the feeling can't be in nibbāna since nibbāna is beyond all feeling.
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:15 pm In fact I've consistently argued against viewing nibbāna as being some kind of mind/consciousness/awareness.
Does Buddha ever say that
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:15 pm
User13866 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:44 pm They assert that Unconditioned is actually a conditioned element and that it's name is not representative of what it is.

As if i had a boat and named this boat 'a woman' and was to say 'a boat is a woman'. Similarly they assert that the unconditioned is merely a name for a conditioned phenomena.

Ceisiwr from DW is a good example of one holding this view
The position of Theravāda and, if I recall, Sarvāstivāda-Vaibhāṣika and some other early schools was that nibbāna is cognised at the mind base. The All is the totality of what can be known. Since nibbāna can be known, and since its not cognised with sight, touch, hearing etc, then it is included as amongst the objects of the mind base.
Therein what is ideational base? The aggregate of feeling, aggregate of perception, aggregate of mental concomitants and that invisible non-impingent material quality included in the ideational base; the unconditioned element.
https://suttacentral.net/vb2/en/thittil ... ight=false

Now this is a dualist view of nibbāna. In these systems of thought nibbāna is a dhamma which exists in it's own right, and it is this dhamma which is cognised at the mind. There is of course the other view that there is no difference between saṃsāra and nibbāna. On said view, nibbāna is saṃsāra correctly understood. Even here though, I think, an argument can be made for including nibbāna within the All.
This is the assertion he makes;

He asserts that a person becomes an Arahant merely by a deep understanding of the Dhamma and with that he is not reborn because his mind is 'unconditioned'.

Thus he asserts that the unconditioned element is merely a name for the conditioned mind of the Arahant, hence he says "the unconditioned is included among the conditioned".

For evidence he will say
* Isn't it so that in attaining Arahantship one attains Nibbana [removal of delusion]?
* Isn't it so that Nibbana is Unconditioned?

However this is quite reprehensible because the mind of the Arahant is never in he texts called neither Nibbana or Unconditioned.
I've not argued that the Arahant's mind is nibbāna. In fact I've consistently argued against viewing nibbāna as being some kind of mind/consciousness/awareness.
Furthermore those who hold to interpretation A) are completely lost when it comes to explaining cessation of perception & feeling.

Ceisiwr just says 'it's like being dead'. This is of course meaningless because what is that exactly?

In Theravada death is the break up of the body and a consequent taking up of another body, being dead is not really anything other than that.
The suttas themselves make the comparison with a dead body. Furthermore, it is impossible to have conciousness without perception & feeling according to the suttas. It's impossible to have any conciousness without contact, because there is no recognition of a consciousness arising or existing independently in the earliest material (nor later ones). On nibbāna being "bliss", sukha can be used in different ways in the suttas. Sometimes its rather technical and specific (5 faculties) but are other times more a figure of speech. For example, there is said to be the "bliss" of equanimity. Equanimity is not bliss though, it's equanimity. The "bliss" here is a manner of speech. This is how the commentaries read nibbāna being bliss, and its how I read it too. In fact, its the only way to read it since bliss the feeling can't be in nibbāna or nibbāna is beyond all feeling.
Your interpretation of Abhidhamma is just your own interpretation.

It's basically you saying that because the non impingent quality which is unconditioned is included in mind base then it is conditioned.

Theravadins do not include only that which is mind aggregate in the mind base but also the discernment of the cessation of the mind aggregate is included therein. Why? Because that cessation is discerned by the person who attains it by his seeing with wisdom.
The suttas themselves make the comparison with a dead body
They do not make a comparison but are delineating a difference...

If i ask you
- Ceisiwr what is the difference between swimming and an austronaut in space?
- In both cases the person is not walking, in both cases a person is without a footing on land. But in the case of the austranaut he is in a vaccum whereas the one swiming is in liquid.

If i say that "Ceisiwr compares swimming to being in space, saying swimming is like being in space". Is that an accurate statement?

Obviously not. You did make a comparison but you also delineated a difference and it would be misleading to claim that you are comparing the two as to explain being in space to be like swimming.

Exactly the same thing in mn43. Yes Sariputta makes a comparison but he also delineates a difference. Therefore it is misleading of you to say that Sutta make a comparison ignoring the delineation of difference as to claim that the two are alike.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

User13866 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:40 pm
Your interpretation of Abhidhamma is just your own interpretation.

It's basically you saying that because the non impingent quality which is unconditioned is included in mind base then it is conditioned.

Theravadins do not include only that which is mind aggregate in the mind base but also the discernment of the cessation of the mind aggregate is included therein. Why? Because that cessation is discerned by the person who attains it by his seeing with wisdom.
Well, I'm not saying that nibbāna is conditioned. I am saying that it can be known, and to know something you have to cognise it. When then is nibbāna cognised? At the ear base? Is it a sound? No, not there. At the eye base? Is it a visual form? No, not there either. We know nibbāna through the mind base. Regarding Theravāda, in that system of thought nibbāna exists in it's own right, as the sole unconditioned dhamma. Insight clears the defilements revealing nibbāna, at which point the defilements are expunged from the mind. After this there is reviewing conciousness, which reviews the attainment and also reviews nibbāna which is taken as an object of the mind base (and cognised by consciousness). It's an interesting theory, and it's not all that clear what it means for nibbāna to be an external cognised object of the mind. In terms of my own view when it comes to understanding nibbāna, I think it helps to see how others were using the concept at the time
“But, Māgandiya, when you heard earlier wanderers who were teachers and teachers of teachers saying this, what is that health, what is that Nibbāna?”

When this was said, the wanderer Māgandiya rubbed his own limbs with his hands and said: “This is that health, Master Gotama, this is that Nibbāna; for I am now healthy and happy and nothing afflicts me.”
https://suttacentral.net/mn75/en/bodhi? ... ight=false
“Herein, bhikkhus, a certain recluse or a brahmin asserts the following doctrine or view: ‘When this self, good sir, furnished and supplied with the five strands of sense pleasures, revels in them—at this point the self attains supreme Nibbāna here and now.’ In this way some proclaim supreme Nibbāna here and now for an existent being.

“To him another says: ‘There is, good sir, such a self as you assert. That I do not deny. But it is not at that point that the self attains supreme Nibbāna here and now. What is the reason? Because, good sir, sense pleasures are impermanent, suffering, subject to change, and through their change and transformation there arise sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair. But when the self, quite secluded from sense pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states, enters and abides in the first jhāna, which is accompanied by initial and sustained thought and contains the rapture and happiness born of seclusion—at this point, good sir, the self attains supreme Nibbāna here and now.’ In this way others proclaim supreme Nibbāna here and now for an existent being [continue with the remaining Jhānas]
https://suttacentral.net/dn1/en/bodhi?r ... ight=false

What is nibbāna then? It is freedom from affliction. Where is freedom from affliction found in the Buddha's Dhamma? In the removal of greed, hate and delusion leading to the total absence of all conditioned dhammas, for there one can never be afflicted again.

They do not make a comparison but are delineating a difference...

If i ask you
- Ceisiwr what is the difference between swimming and an austronaut in space?
- In both cases the person is not walking, in both cases a person is without a footing on land. But in the case of the austranaut he is in a vaccum whereas the one swiming is in liquid.

If i say that Ceisiwr compares swimming to being in space, is that an accurate statement?

Obviously is a half truth, you did make a comparison but you also delineated a difference and it would be misleading to claim that you are comparing the two as to explain being in space to be like swimming.

Exactly the same thing in mn43. Yes Sariputta makes a comparison but he also delineates a difference. Therefore it is misleading of you to say that Sutta make a comparison and omitting the delineation of difference as to claim that the two are alike.
The interlocutor asks what the difference is between a corpse and a person in the attainment of the cessation of perception & feeling. They are asking the question, because the two things are so similar. In other words, someone in that attainment looked like they were dead. We are told that they are similar, but they differ in that the person in meditation hasn't actually died. Their mind has temporarily ceased, they aren't conscious at all, the breathing has ceased but their "heat" has not left (we could say, their metabolism is still functioning). I've never said the two are the same. I said they are similar, that people who knew of the attainment wondered what the difference was between a corpse and that. Why did they wonder? Because they looked identical.
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:59 pm What is nibbāna then? It is freedom from affliction.
Yes it’s a state of mind… free from affliction
Coaching
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:01 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:59 pm What is nibbāna then? It is freedom from affliction.
Yes it’s a state of mind… free from affliction
A state of mind would be an affliction.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:01 pm A state of mind would be an affliction.
Nirvana is a state free of affliction
Coaching
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:04 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:01 pm A state of mind would be an affliction.
Nirvana is a state free of affliction
There is a problem there in that a state refers to something. When we say a house is in a right state, we mean that the house is messy. The house has the attribute of being messy. When then we say that nibbāna is a state free from affliction, we are saying there is something called nibbāna and this nibbāna is free from affliction. It has the state of non-affliction. This is fine, if we take nibbāna to be something. Is nibbāna something though, or is it a term denoting the absence of something? When the fires of greed, hatred and delusion have been blown away there is nibbāna with residue. Is this nibbāna a thing, or is it referring to the absence of those taints? Likewise, when an Arahant or Buddha lays down their body and there is final nibbāna is that nibbāna a thing, or is it an absence of things i.e. all conditioned dhammas?
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:21 pm This is fine, if we take nibbāna to be something. Is nibbāna something though, or is it a term denoting the absence of something?
The Deathless Element
Coaching
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:23 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:21 pm This is fine, if we take nibbāna to be something. Is nibbāna something though, or is it a term denoting the absence of something?
The Deathless Element
There can be non-inclination, yes.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:29 pm There can be non-inclination, yes.
Element… such as gold
Coaching
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:30 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:29 pm There can be non-inclination, yes.
Element… such as gold
It would help to understand that "dhātu" isn't referring to something like the periodic table.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:32 pm It would help to understand that "dhātu" isn't referring to something like the periodic table.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708986/
Coaching
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:33 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:32 pm It would help to understand that "dhātu" isn't referring to something like the periodic table.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708986/
Great episode, and my favourite Star Trek captain and series too.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:34 pm Great episode, and my favourite Star Trek captain and series too.
:)
Coaching