King Bimbisara's life after Sotapanna Stage

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sakyan

King Bimbisara's life after Sotapanna Stage

Post by sakyan »

I would like more info on king Bimbisara's life after Sotapanna stage, More on how he managed wars and acting as a judge (kings in the Buddha's time did act as a judge in matters of his kingdom and ordered killing of culprits when required by the law of the kingdom)

I have read somewhere that King Bimbisara after becoming a sotapanna, during a war would not engage in battle but merely go with his army and be there for supervising, watching and inspiring his army, while his army engaged in the battle.

The same I have read of Devaraja Sakka, He being a Sotapanna when comes in a battlefield with the asuras comes with the intention of not killing asuras but just frightening them and sending them back. He attacks mildly and not to utterly kill the asura kings and their retinue.
Ontheway

Re: King Bimbisara's life after Sotapanna Stage

Post by Ontheway »

Vessavana Maharaja too. After attained Sotapannahood, he no longer use his divine weapon "Gadavudha" to harm or attack.

This explains why Vessavana Maharaja statue usually built to have the weapon Gadavudha pointing downward in Thai sculpture art style.
IMG_20221025_130517.jpg
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

sakyan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:33 am I would like more info on king Bimbisara's life after Sotapanna stage, More on how he managed wars and acting as a judge (kings in the Buddha's time did act as a judge in matters of his kingdom and ordered killing of culprits when required by the law of the kingdom)

I have read somewhere that King Bimbisara after becoming a sotapanna, during a war would not engage in battle but merely go with his army and be there for supervising, watching and inspiring his army, while his army engaged in the battle.

The same I have read of Devaraja Sakka, He being a Sotapanna when comes in a battlefield with the asuras comes with the intention of not killing asuras but just frightening them and sending them back. He attacks mildly and not to utterly kill the asura kings and their retinue.
There is no sutta proof sk we dont know if he went to war. If there is proof, let me know
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

sakyan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:33 am I would like more info on king Bimbisara's life after Sotapanna stage, More on how he managed wars and acting as a judge (kings in the Buddha's time did act as a judge in matters of his kingdom and ordered killing of culprits when required by the law of the kingdom)

There is no sutta proof sk we dont know if he went to war. If there is proof, let me know
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Mumfie

Post by Mumfie »

confusedlayman wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:08 pm There is no sutta proof sk we dont know if he went to war. If there is proof, let me know
The events that sakyan writes of are covered in the 25 suttas of the SN's Sakka-samyutta.

https://suttacentral.net/sn11?view=normal
“Hobgoblin, nor foul fiend,
Shall daunt his spirit;”
John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress II)
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Mumfie wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:49 am
confusedlayman wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:08 pm There is no sutta proof sk we dont know if he went to war. If there is proof, let me know
The events that sakyan writes of are covered in the 25 suttas of the SN's Sakka-samyutta.

History of India and World history encyclopedia mentions Period of King Bimbisara but not his religious links .
Samannhapala sutta mentions much about King Ajatasattu and the consequence of killing father king bimbisara not being able to attain margapala while later being successful after s very long period of suffering
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Mumfie wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:49 am

Another Sutta is Dhajagga Sutta, mentioned that there was a battle between Devas and Asuras.

From what I read, Catumaharajikā Heaven is the first stronghold of defense against Asuras. If Asuras success penetrated the first heaven, then Sakka Devaraja will come forth with His brethrens and leading in battle.

But now since Sakka Devaraja is Sotapanna, and Asura chieftains such as Asurinda Rahu taken refuge in the Triple Gems, I wonder if there will be war again or not. Even chieftain Asurinda Paharada taken delight in ocean. Maybe now is a truce.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false