Is it okay to carry weapons?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
cappuccino

Re: Is it okay to carry weapons?

Post by cappuccino »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:27 pm The trick is to expend an appropriate amount of time and energy, commensurate with the severity and likelihood of the threat
The grim reaper can’t be defeated
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
thepea

Post by thepea »

SDC wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:36 amAsk @thepea
No problem.
For the one who seeks samma samadhi, it is not right action to carry a weapon. Even an axe for chopping wood is inappropriate, as chopping wood will disrupt the balance of ones mind. For the layman this is fine to carry a weapon but it depends on ones mental state. A weapon is a tool and one does not carry a drill around with them all day in the event they need it. When they need the drill they pick it up. When done they put it down.
If one can carry the weapon on them and they do not think about this all day then no real issue.
But again for those seeking jhana and Nibanna, no don’t carry a weapon.

Does that sound reasonable SDC?
thepea

Post by thepea »

DNS wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:12 pm Intention is everything in buddhism; so . . .

If the intention is to kill humans, then no, it's not okay.
If the intention is to kill animals, then no, it's not okay.
If the intention is to hunt and kill animals, even for food, for eating them, then it's still not okay.

If it's for shooting at paper targets for concentration, fun, sport, competition, then it's okay.
If it's a non-lethal weapon (taser, stun gun, rubber bullets) for stopping an attacker, then it's okay.
If someone tried to harm my family....I wouldn’t hesitate to stop them. Would a loaded gun be an easily accessible thing to me, probably not, as I’m not one to carry a weapon around. I think the instinct for survival trumps your good Buddhist ideology. A buddhist is most likely unenlightened and even the enlightened have attachment to form until the higher stages.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

I once carried a knife

I stopped after almost being in a fight
Coaching
thepea

Post by thepea »

santa100 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:22 pm
Gami47 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:33 am:reading:
For defensive purpose, yes, as long as the firearm is obtained legally and met all federal/state law's requirement for concealed firearm carry. But don't count on it, for one might drop it, or it might malfunction. Try to turn your whole body into a weapon!
What’s the difference between the one carrying a “legally obtained weapon” and the one carrying a weapon obtained from a buddy?
In a dhamma sense, what does the legal system have to do with the action of carrying a gun.
If I’m not troubled carrying my grandads unregistered desert eagle handgun around, how is this a problem according to dhamma teachings?
Am I not to defend myself if need arises?
thepea

Post by thepea »

santa100 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:24 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:54 pm The point about "appropriate instruments" is important here. Anyone who trains to disarm knife-attackers, or who gets a licensed shotgun in order to deal with a home burglary in a safe country like the UK is probably delusional. They are motivated by fantasy rather than reality. And what will acting on that fearful fantasy do to their mind? If they want to avoid injury or tragedy being visited upon their families, they are better off taking a course in advanced safe driving.
Unfortunately the situation in the States is "slightly" different compared to the UK. It'd be a total shock for this home of the braves if a day goes by without a single incident of mass shooting. And sometimes, the single best and quickest way to stop it lies in the hands of responsible gun owners.
A good sotapanna will have your back Santa, and they won’t hesitate over the decision to pull the trigger.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

thepea wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:10 am A good sotapanna will have your back Santa, and they won’t hesitate over the decision to pull the trigger.
Are you trying to prove yourself misguided
Coaching
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

thepea wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:57 am I think the instinct for survival trumps your good Buddhist ideology.
Nothing trumps buddhist precepts, not even Trump. :tongue:

I'm not opposed to self-defense, see my post, nothing in there about any opposition to self-defense. There are non-lethal ways of self-defense.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

thepea wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:05 am What’s the difference between the one carrying a “legally obtained weapon” and the one carrying a weapon obtained from a buddy?
In a dhamma sense, what does the legal system have to do with the action of carrying a gun.
If I’m not troubled carrying my grandads unregistered desert eagle handgun around, how is this a problem according to dhamma teachings?
Simple, if the cops find out you carry illegal firearm, best case is they'll put you in jail, worst case is they'll pump 10-20 rounds into you. Now I don't know where you live, but in the States, the latter case happens VERY frequently, especially if you're a black dude. You mentioned you got locked up once. Don't make the same mistake again. The outcome might be much much worse.
A good sotapanna will have your back Santa, and they won’t hesitate over the decision to pull the trigger.
Let me make it very clear to you, I support gun ownership, and I support LEGAL concealed carry. But the notion that a person who self-proclaims to be a Sotapanna and can pull the trigger to kill someone is just absolute lunacy.
Last edited by santa100 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
thepea

Post by thepea »

DNS wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:42 am
thepea wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:57 am I think the instinct for survival trumps your good Buddhist ideology.
Nothing trumps buddhist precepts, not even Trump. :tongue:

I'm not opposed to self-defense, see my post, nothing in there about any opposition to self-defense. There are non-lethal ways of self-defense.
Maybe you need to take a bird or rabbit for supper?
Nothing growing outdoors in the great white north currently.
Buddhist precepts do not feed children.
thepea

Post by thepea »

santa100 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:59 am
thepea wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:05 am What’s the difference between the one carrying a “legally obtained weapon” and the one carrying a weapon obtained from a buddy?
Simple, if the cops find out you carry illegal firearm, best case is they'll put you in jail, worst case is they'll pump 10-20 rounds into you. You mentioned you got locked up once. Don't make the same mistake again.
Let me make it very clear to you, I support gun ownership, and I support LEGAL concealed carry. But the notion that a person who self-proclaims to be a Sotapanna and can pull the trigger to kill someone is just absolute lunacy.
So your practice is dependent on police approval?
Your not making a dhamma argument but rather a politically appropriate one fir carrying a weapon.
Your concern about carrying a gun is dependent upon the gun carrying sovereigns dressed in blue who serve and protect the corporation? Kind of a superficial peace of mind don’t you think?

us noble ones will always have your back Santa, it’s what we do.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

thepea wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:00 am Maybe you need to take a bird or rabbit for supper?
Where do you live? How far up north are you? I'll bet there are some grocery stores within driving distance. Anyway, this is not the great vegetarian debate, so your post is in the wrong topic.
thepea

Post by thepea »

DNS wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:11 am
thepea wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:00 am Maybe you need to take a bird or rabbit for supper?
Where do you live? How far up north are you? I'll bet there are some grocery stores within driving distance. Anyway, this is not the great vegetarian debate, so your post is in the wrong topic.
There is a grocery store 30 minute drive. But ones self reliance must be considered as a layman. I am not the monk with the beggars bowl. I can hunt and forage for food. A weapon is required for this. A bow and arrow, a spear and knife or perhaps a gun.
Nothing a dhammist about a layman hunting.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

thepea wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:00 am Buddhist precepts do not feed children.
Buddha was aware of this, but he is not trying to fit in

He was transcending the world
Coaching
thepea

Post by thepea »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:34 am
thepea wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:00 am Buddhist precepts do not feed children.
Buddha was aware of this, but he is not trying to fit in

He was transcending the world
Layman are doing what is required to survive snd thrive. They are not monastics and from the OP’s question monasticism is not under the microscope.