Gami47

Is it okay to carry weapons?

Post by Gami47 »

:reading:
SDC

Re: Is it okay to carry weapons?

Post by SDC »

Ask @thepea
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

SDC wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:36 amAsk @thepea
I was going to suggest the same thing
:clap:
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

What is the intention?
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

For Defense and non-harmful behavior, some weapons become necessary in conjoining one with one's prescribed duty to humanity, to protect women and children, and innocent men.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

I don't. I like learning about weapons and the military. But never shot or held a firearm in my life.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

wenjaforever wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:54 am I don't. I like learning about weapons and the military. But never shot or held a firearm in my life.
If you get the chance, you should have a go. They're like something from a different world, incredibly powerful and deadly. It's really interesting and strange to hold a tool with such potency. (It's obvious I'm not from the USA?)

I've shot hunting rifles and shotguns, one time I shot a wild pest rabbit and felt very bad about it, but apart from that one time only for target practise.
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:27 am If you get the chance, you should have a go. They're like something from a different world, incredibly powerful and deadly. It's really interesting and strange to hold a tool with such potency. (It's obvious I'm not from the USA?)

I've shot hunting rifles and shotguns, one time I shot a wild pest rabbit and felt very bad about it, but apart from that one time only for target practise.
Yes I've played a lot of videogames. I'm also into history. Nothing special about it. Gun powder is the reason why full plate armor was abandoned. All about physics and joule newton energy whatever.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Intention is everything in buddhism; so . . .

If the intention is to kill humans, then no, it's not okay.
If the intention is to kill animals, then no, it's not okay.
If the intention is to hunt and kill animals, even for food, for eating them, then it's still not okay.

If it's for shooting at paper targets for concentration, fun, sport, competition, then it's okay.
If it's a non-lethal weapon (taser, stun gun, rubber bullets) for stopping an attacker, then it's okay.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Here is an example of competitive target shooting:

Notice, the competition is from 50 meters away and to score a '10' one must hit the center of the target which is only the size of a coin. Top shooters are able to hit the '10' score most of the time, even though they are 50 meters away, using only one hand and no support.

They have 2 hour limit to make 60 shots, which means they can take up to an average of 2 minutes per shot. This is quite a bit different from the adrenaline rush and chaotic scene of shooting during an attack. The shooters in a competition relax and try to bring the heart and breathing down to a very slow rate, like meditation (to keep the gun steady without movement for scoring higher).
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Gami47 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:33 am:reading:
For defensive purpose, yes, as long as the firearm is obtained legally and met all federal/state law's requirement for concealed firearm carry. But don't count on it, for one might drop it, or it might malfunction. Try to turn your whole body into a weapon!
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Thus he trains. Gradually.

In suttas about Uposatha day observance, The Blessed One says (paraphrasing) “for this time of observance live like the arhat and lay down the rod”, the eventual result being a growing awareness that laying down the rod at all times is the best.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

A succinct take on this by "Maverick Philosopher" Bill Vallicella:
If I have the right to life, then I have the right to defend my life, and you (plural) have the correlative duty not to take my life. But if I have the right to life, then I have the right to acquire, keep, and bear instruments appropriate for the defense of my life. What count as appropriate instruments will depend on circumstances, and circumstances change. If the criminal element is armed with semi-automatic 9-mm pistols with 13-round magazines, then surely the law-abiding citizen must be allowed to own such firearms.
Conversely,
the right to appropriate means of self-defense follows from the right to self-defense which in turn follows from the right to life.
The point about "appropriate instruments" is important here. Anyone who trains to disarm knife-attackers, or who gets a licensed shotgun in order to deal with a home burglary in a safe country like the UK is probably delusional. They are motivated by fantasy rather than reality. And what will acting on that fearful fantasy do to their mind? If they want to avoid injury or tragedy being visited upon their families, they are better off taking a course in advanced safe driving.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:54 pm The point about "appropriate instruments" is important here. Anyone who trains to disarm knife-attackers, or who gets a licensed shotgun in order to deal with a home burglary in a safe country like the UK is probably delusional. They are motivated by fantasy rather than reality. And what will acting on that fearful fantasy do to their mind? If they want to avoid injury or tragedy being visited upon their families, they are better off taking a course in advanced safe driving.
Unfortunately the situation in the States is "slightly" different compared to the UK. It'd be a total shock for this home of the braves if a day goes by without a single incident of mass shooting. And sometimes, the single best and quickest way to stop it lies in the hands of responsible gun owners.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

santa100 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:24 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:54 pm The point about "appropriate instruments" is important here. Anyone who trains to disarm knife-attackers, or who gets a licensed shotgun in order to deal with a home burglary in a safe country like the UK is probably delusional. They are motivated by fantasy rather than reality. And what will acting on that fearful fantasy do to their mind? If they want to avoid injury or tragedy being visited upon their families, they are better off taking a course in advanced safe driving.
Unfortunately the situation in the States is "slightly" different compared to the UK. It'd be a total shock for this home of the braves if a day goes by without a single incident of mass shooting. And sometimes, the single best and quickest way to stop lies in the hands of responsible gun owners.
Agreed. The trick is to expend an appropriate amount of time and energy, commensurate with the severity and likelihood of the threat materialising.