According to this gentelman all Buddhism is wrong due to miss-understood about Anata

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
JamesTheGiant

Re: According to this gentelman all Buddhism is wrong due to miss-understood about Anata

Post by JamesTheGiant »

He's just another spiritual YouTuber with his own weird non-dhamma opinions.

I rely on Bhikkhus Bodhi, Sujato, and Thanissaro, rather than some tattooed random with a big ego on the internet.
Ceisiwr

Re: According to this gentelman all Buddhism is wrong due to miss-understood about Anata

Post by Ceisiwr »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:00 pm IMO, he's a Ātmavādin. Ātmavādins who identify with the Buddha's teaching need him to be an Ātmavādin too.

It's all a strategy to try to avoid the inevitable cognitive dissonance inherent with being both a believer in the eternity of the individual and the Buddha's Dharma.
:goodpost:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:36 pm I rely on Bhikkhus Bodhi, Sujato, and Thanissaro …
Rely on Buddha
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:06 pm
JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:36 pm I rely on Bhikkhus Bodhi, Sujato, and Thanissaro …
Rely on Buddha
I don't read Pali, so I rely on the translations done by those monks.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

DNS wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:19 pm I'm sure we've had some previous topics on this youtuber. His name is Ken. What is his last name? Or maybe someone knows where the previous topics are here in DW?

He mentions some Sutta references, but it sounds like he is using his translations and/or interpretations. I find it unlikely that PTS, Sujato, Bodhi, Thanissaro, et al, all got it wrong.
Ken Wheeler.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:10 pm I don't read Pali, so I rely on the translations done by those monks.
Right
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:14 pm
DNS wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:19 pm I'm sure we've had some previous topics on this youtuber. His name is Ken. What is his last name? Or maybe someone knows where the previous topics are here in DW?

He mentions some Sutta references, but it sounds like he is using his translations and/or interpretations. I find it unlikely that PTS, Sujato, Bodhi, Thanissaro, et al, all got it wrong.
Ken Wheeler.
Thanks, that rings a bell, yes, he's been discussed here previously. He has over 100 million views (total for all videos) on youtube. He's semi-famous, someone even took the time to write an enemy page:
https://kenswrong.com/
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Milinda wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:47 pm
According to him, Buddhism is lost in translations, so Tathagatha never denied the "self" or the "soul". What do you think?
My mind switched off.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:35 pm My mind switched off.
Not self is a different way of thinking

Rather than no self

Rather than self
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:38 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:35 pm My mind switched off.
Not self is a different way of thinking

Rather than no self

Rather than self
There it goes again.
Milinda

Post by Milinda »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:35 pm
Milinda wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:47 pm
According to him, Buddhism is lost in translations, so Tathagatha never denied the "self" or the "soul". What do you think?
My mind switched off.
Ok, deeper switched off.

According to him Tatagatha means something like "the one who has reached Brahma --absolute--"., in a platonic/vedic way; something like the self-soul has fussioned with the Whole/Absolute (in a platonic way something like 'the Good' it could be understood as the God of Gods).

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Milinda wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:49 pm
According to him Tatagatha means something like "the one who has reached Brahma --absolute--"., in a platonic/vedic way; something like the self-soul has fussioned with the Whole/Absolute (in a platonic way something like 'the Good' it could be understood as the God of Gods).
Oh dear.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Ceisiwr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:53 pm Oh dear.
Indeed

:computerproblem:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

There's no need to watch this Ken bloke expound his thoughts.

It's really quite simple - any phenomena (dhamma) is not-self (anatta).

If something isn't phenomenal, i.e. experienced/experienceable, or giving rise to phenomena, then it's irrelevant in this Dhamma.

Any compulsion to fill in the gaps beyond that is just the obsession of views (AN 7.12) and should be abandoned, its root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."