Only Buddhas should be our foremost Teachers in all circumstances?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
User13866

Re: Only Buddhas should be our foremost Teachers in all circumstances?

Post by User13866 »

Mahabrahma wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:51 am Sometimes Buddhas just aren't seen for millions of kalpas, and Teachers are still needed.
He who sees Dhamma, Vakkali, sees me; he who sees me sees Dhamma. Truly seeing Dhamma, one sees me; seeing me one sees Dhamma.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .wlsh.html
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Some people assert that the Dhamma was invisible to most before the advent of Gautama. So even those highly prospective Learners may have been forced to have a Teacher other than Buddha. And there may be a time like that again. I am just trying to clarify what is thought is meant by this rule.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
perkele

Post by perkele »

Mahabrahma wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:24 pm Some people assert that the Dhamma was invisible to most before the advent of Gautama. So even those highly prospective Learners may have been forced to have a Teacher other than Buddha. And there may be a time like that again. I am just trying to clarify what is thought is meant by this rule.
As far as I'm aware the Buddha merely stated that such a thing is impossible. He listed these six impossible acts for a sotapanna, just as a categorical statement of fact without any moral undertones.
Calling it "a great wrong" is an English translator's choice of words, translating a Pali commentary, not the word of the Buddha.
And there may be a time like that again.
According to the Buddha there certainly will be a time like that again, and these "dark times" are far more common than the "lucky times" as we are still living in now where the Buddha's teachings are still somewhat available to follow after.

The question is maybe: Are we satisfied with these left-over "scraps", or do we want the full meal, or even cook it by ourselves? It might take some eons longer that way.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Because there's life on so many other planets especially even in the present moment, Enlightenment is needed there as well.

Someone had to take the Dhamma to them...

He's got to go, he's the Gingerbread man!
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.