should i get the bivalent covid vaccine

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

yes
29%
no
71%

Total votes: 17

salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

i've had four of the pfizer original vaccine, then i got covid in june 2022. a coworker who had covid the same time as i did just got covid again, so i'm thinking my immunity could be waning.
our job ended covid paid leave, so i am more concerned with trying to avoid catching covid. (i was happy to be off work when i got paid, even tho i was sick)
i'm a 32 year old male with no pre-existing conditions. i actually work in a pharmacy, and most of the pharmacists i work with actually are not recommending it to me, but of course not advising against it. with distrust in the vaccine coming from medical authorities in my own community, i'm still looking for opinions to help me decide.
in advance, 'ask your doctor' is not very helpful advice.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
SarathW

Re: should i get the bivalent covid vaccine

Post by SarathW »

If I am not mistaken, now COVID has downgraded to the status of the common flu.
So it is now a matter of your choice to take the flu vaccine or not.
I did not vote.
Do your own research and make the appropriate decision.
I took only two vaccines and not sure whether I ever had COVID or not.
I got sick many times and used Neti pot treatment myself.
:shrug:
Last edited by SarathW on Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Your age and risk profile as I can discern from your post suggest No.

I'd definitely avoid the mRNA options as they've caused a lot of cardiac and inflammation issues, especially for younger males.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Pfizer Engineering Wuhan Virus Mutations? | Claim Goes Viral | Vantage with Palki Sharma
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

salayatananirodha wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:16 am i've had four of the pfizer original vaccine, then i got covid in june 2022. a coworker who had covid the same time as i did just got covid again, so i'm thinking my immunity could be waning.
our job ended covid paid leave, so i am more concerned with trying to avoid catching covid. (i was happy to be off work when i got paid, even tho i was sick)
i'm a 32 year old male with no pre-existing conditions. i actually work in a pharmacy, and most of the pharmacists i work with actually are not recommending it to me, but of course not advising against it. with distrust in the vaccine coming from medical authorities in my own community, i'm still looking for opinions to help me decide.
in advance, 'ask your doctor' is not very helpful advice.
Asking the “experts” on this forum for medical advice isn’t a good idea.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

I had four "original recipe" covid shots. I had to wait several months after the fourth one before I could get the bivalent, but I got it last month.

I had a very bad pneumonia last year (not covid-related, so they tell me), and my lungs have not fully recovered. I can't afford to take any chances with my lungs. I know that the available vaccines are not up to date with the circulating virus varaiants, but at least the bivalent shot is based on omicron, so I finally have antibodies to that strain of virus.

Kathy
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Here in the UK I have had had all the available Covid shots, plus a Flu vaccination, and haven't had any side effects, nor have I had Covid or Flu.

May all sentient beings have peace and happiness.

:anjali:
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

The internet is a terrible, terrible place to ask for medical advice inclusive of here.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I thought Covid discussion on Dhammawheel was forbidden as of a few weeks ago?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:08 pm I thought Covid discussion on Dhammawheel was forbidden as of a few weeks ago?
retro announced that they would end on March 17, 2023. Not that much longer. :tongue:

viewtopic.php?t=44564
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

yes, you should get it. i got it, then i got covid and wouldn't have even known i'd had it if i didn't test.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

The new variants are much more mild so its not that important. its up to you. I got it largely because i didnt want to get sick on my recent trip to Thailand and have it ruin 10 days or so of my vacation, so i figured the more protection the better. And i had very little reaction to the first vaccines and booster so it was a no brainer. Little chance you will get anything serious if you are young and in good health, dont live with anyone who does, and dont mind a higher chance of simply getting sick for several days. I generally recommend vaccines in general tho just for the free immunity without the need to actually get sick, imo worth the tiny risk of complication.

If you weigh the most likely scenarios it is between:

1 Get it and lower your chance of losing several days of your life being sick in bed, but at the cost of possible side effects and a minuscule but real risk of some kinda serious complication

2 Dont get it- get no chance of complication or side effects, but higher chance (id say above 50% considering how contagious the milder omicron variants are) of getting sick and losing several days of your life sick in bed.

I do strongly recommend getting it if there is a particular period of time you really dont want to get sick or want to be in a crowded area, like a vacation or concert. Get it like a month before your planned event so your immunity is strongest at the time you want it the most.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Changes of ECG parameters after BNT162b2 vaccine in the senior high school students
In December 2021, in cooperation with the school vaccination system of Taipei City government, we performed a ECG screening study during the second dose of BNT162b2 vaccines. Serial comparisons of ECGs and questionnaire survey were performed before and after vaccine in four male-predominant senior high schools. Among 7934 eligible students, 4928 (62.1%) were included in the study. The male/female ratio was 4576/352. In total, 763 students (17.1%) had at least one cardiac symptom after the second vaccine dose, mostly chest pain and palpitations. The depolarization and repolarization parameters (QRS duration and QT interval) decreased significantly after the vaccine with increasing heart rate. Abnormal ECGs were obtained in 51 (1.0%) of the students, of which 1 was diagnosed with mild myocarditis and another 4 were judged to have significant arrhythmia. None of the patients needed to be admitted to hospital and all of these symptoms improved spontaneously.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36602621/
These are only the acute cardiological side effects. The sample is also insufficient for establishing the prevalence of serious myocarditis.

It is also worth noting that this is after the 2nd transfection not the 3rd or 4th.

Myocarditis is basically inflammation of the heart
The prognosis of patients with myocarditis depends on the severity of the inflammatory process and presentation of symptoms. Patients with severe disease have a poor prognosis without a transplant. Patients with mild myocarditis usually have a good outcome. Poor prognostic factors include low ejection fraction, left bundle branch block, and syncope. The most common cause of death is cardiogenic shock. Others may develop varying degrees of heart block that require permanent pacing. The highest mortality rates are seen in postpartum cardiomyopathy.

The long-term prognosis was usually good, with a 3 to 5-year survival ranging from 56 to 83%, respectively. Patients with acute fulminant myocarditis have an excellent long-term prognosis of 93% at 11 years once they survive the acute illness.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK459259/
You can find out if you want
User13866

Post by User13866 »

This is how the mRNA encapsulated by a lipid nano particle looks like under a microscope.
1-s2.0-S0006349521002411-gr3_lrg.jpg
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9521002411
What you are looking at is basically genetic material inside small bubbles of fat. It can be seen that the mRNA piles up on one end rather than being in the middle which creates an ovalish shape of the Lipid.

This is basically what is advertised by the manufacturer.

Now i will show what happens to these LNP when put under stress, for example by freeze and defrosting...

Here we see a dye-stained mRNA-LNP sample after being subjected to multiple freeze-thaws.
Screenshot_20230206-160153_Chrome.jpg
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/LNP ... _350394292

Now all these transfection vials are kept frozen for transportation...

No commentary needed i think
NAD

Post by NAD »

DNS wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:00 pm
JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:08 pm I thought Covid discussion on Dhammawheel was forbidden as of a few weeks ago?
retro announced that they would end on March 17, 2023. Not that much longer. :tongue:

viewtopic.php?t=44564
Hi DNS, what are the grounds for banning a particular topic and how does that align with TOS please?