When did handling money become so common?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
santa100

Re: When did handling money become so common?

Post by santa100 »

TRobinson465 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:29 pm
santa100 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:13 pm
TRobinson465 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:04 pm Currently i just stick mainly with necessity offerings (which is tends to be more common service anyways), offer money to the temple fund in whatever way is the norm at the place im going to, but avoid the personal cash offerings to monks directly, and dont think twice about judging the monks. if they break it its their problem not mine.
If it was me, it'd just completely and strictly stick to physical necessity offerings until that temple changes their policy to start using lay committee's service. So sad that your lay people are not knowledgeable enough about the Vinaya, for if every single one of you enforce this practice and mandate, I bet the abbot would've immediately switch to the proper mode of practice in a heartbeat! Actually, it's a good way to test the monk there. Why not try to bring up this conversation, mentioning the Vinaya rules and probe his reaction? If he's appreciative and receptive to the idea, he'd be someone worth your time and money. But if he gets irritated, or pushes back hard, or trying to come up with bunch of unreasonable excuses, then you'd know who you've been wasting your time and resources on. I see that you live in the States. This is the West, not Thailand or Sri Lanka where people put their abbot on pedestals to worship.
Sound advice. I can try but i doubt anything will come of it, im fairly sure this has been brought up before at a lot of the places ive visited. Particularly the ones with lay staff, they just kind of reason theres no wrongdoing since they give the money to the lay staff to handle afterwards anyways.
Can't hurt to give it a try. Remember this is the States, not Thailand or SriLanka. Monks have to EARN our respect and we don't put them on pedestals to pray to.
robertk

Post by robertk »

User13866 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:42 pm
robertk wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:18 pm Go to this book starting at page 99 to get a general idea of how it works.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... TwV9txhON9
As i understand it,

Therefore assuming that having a passport is altogether allowable (of which i am not convinced) then the only way to get this darn thing renewed is if someone actually offers to go with me to pay for it's renewal.

Similarly, if a robe fund is established with a kappiya, i can make it known that i need a robe or that the passport needs to be renewed and the kappiya can give a robe or offer to go with me to the embassy or just make a transfer directly to the 'vendor' as in paying the bill.
Yes.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Real Wealth, and don't you forget it!
SN 55.44 Aḍḍha Sutta: Rich
“Monks, a noble disciple who has four things is said to be rich, prosperous, and wealthy.

“What four? It’s when a noble disciple has unshakable confidence in the Buddha… the Dhamma… the Saṅgha… and he has the virtue loved by the noble ones… leading to concentration. A noble disciple who has these four things is said to be rich, prosperous, and wealthy.”
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

robertk wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:50 pm Here is a new article from venerable Subhuti

https://americanmonk.org/percentage-of- ... use-money/
:sage:
That's not too too bad. Wait til there's only ~5% who do not break the sex precept. Then they'll have to start abolishing the Discipline altogether, like what the Pope about to do with the Church's rules.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

robertk wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:50 pm Here is a new article from venerable Subhuti

https://americanmonk.org/percentage-of- ... use-money/
:sage:
How interesting. I actually thought all of dhammayut didnt use money as ive never been to a dhammayut temple that did afaik, and since Dhammayut is 6% of Thailand i estimated the number in thailand was about 7-10% to account for the minority of maha nikaya temples that also dont use money. But Bhante subhuti says its only a minority of Dhammayut that follows that, and of course, just because i havent been to a Dhammayut temple that did doesnt mean none of them use money. If thats the case than yeah, id say his estimate of 2% of thailand sounds right from what ive seen.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta