The Dangers Of Stopping Smoking – Dr.Berg On Effects Of Quitting Smoking

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Is it dangerous to stop smoking cold turkey?

1)Yes
No votes
2) No
81%
3)50% - 50%
7%
4) other please explain
11%

Total votes: 27

SarathW

The Dangers Of Stopping Smoking – Dr.Berg On Effects Of Quitting Smoking

Post by SarathW »

The Dangers Of Stopping Smoking – Dr.Berg On Effects Of Quitting Smoking.

I am not sure Dr. Berg is a real doctor but I like his video content.
I was not a heavy smoker so I stopped it cold turkey without any problems.
So I voted no.
I believe stopping cold turkey is the best way to stop any bad habits such as consuming alcohol.
I agree there are withdrawal symptoms but you have to deal with them in some other means.

You can share your experience here.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ceisiwr

Re: The Dangers Of Stopping Smoking – Dr.Berg On Effects Of Quitting Smoking

Post by Ceisiwr »

SarathW wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:49 pm The Dangers Of Stopping Smoking – Dr.Berg On Effects Of Quitting Smoking.

I am not sure Dr. Berg is a real doctor but I like his video content.
I was not a heavy smoker so I stopped it cold turkey without any problems.
So I voted no.
I believe stopping cold turkey is the best way to stop any bad habits such as consuming alcohol.
I agree there are withdrawal symptoms but you have to deal with them in some other means.

You can share your experience here.
Going cold turkey with alcohol, if you are addicted, can kill you.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
denise

Post by denise »

if you are determined not to be sick with nicotine...you will begin the process and continue until you are free of the urge...takes a while.....but, you will be free of it...most cannot just have an occasional puff...it's all or nothing :console:
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

It isn't particularly dangerous unless you have some type of severe cardiac condition, but you do need to be prepared. Nicotine is a drug, and the body goes through mild physical withdrawal symptoms when you stop ingesting. You need to drink lots of water to flush your system, and you may develop symptoms such as inability to sleep or change in bowel habits (lots of smokers know - cup of coffee and a cigarette--->right to the bathroom). It usually takes about two weeks for the body to adjust and resume "normal" function.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:55 pm Going cold turkey with alcohol, if you are addicted, can kill you.
Yup. I have seen deaths happen due to quitting alcohol and drugs cold turkey with my own eyes. Tobacco is different, obviously.

To prevent potential harm, you may want to edit your post Sarath, to correct your mistake.
Radix

Post by Radix »

SarathW wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:49 pm The Dangers Of Stopping Smoking – Dr.Berg On Effects Of Quitting Smoking.
But is smoking dangerous at all?

I yet have to meet a single smoker who has anything more than a cough from smoking. Those horrible pictures on cigarette packets must be from something else.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

RN here - yes, the danger is real. Smoking is a proven cause of lung cancer. Human lungs are not designed to process hot gas containing hydrogen cyanide (a component of cigarette smoke) as well as toxic chemicals such as benzene, arsenic and formaldehyde.

I've had many patients in hospitals, home care, and hospice who died from smoking related lung cancer.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

I had a friend who wouldn't quit smoking.

I would ask him why he wouldn't quit smoking.

And he'd say: "it's good for ya."

Double edged joke.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Mahabrahma wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:15 pm I had a friend who wouldn't quit smoking.

I would ask him why he wouldn't quit smoking.

And he'd say: "it's good for ya."

Double edged joke.
The monk who used to teach us Buddhism in the collage used to smoke in the toilet.
We asked him why does he smoke.
He said it is good for his sinus problem.
:mrgreen:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Justsit wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:26 pm RN here - yes, the danger is real. Smoking is a proven cause of lung cancer. Human lungs are not designed to process hot gas containing hydrogen cyanide (a component of cigarette smoke) as well as toxic chemicals such as benzene, arsenic and formaldehyde.

I've had many patients in hospitals, home care, and hospice who died from smoking related lung cancer.
PA here. Seen untold numbers (hundreds? thousands?) of people die from smoking. Uncountable numbers sickened. Had relatives die of it and be sickened by it.
Radix

Post by Radix »

dharmacorps wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:52 amPA here. Seen untold numbers (hundreds? thousands?) of people die from smoking. Uncountable numbers sickened. Had relatives die of it and be sickened by it.
Justsit wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:26 pmRN here - yes, the danger is real. Smoking is a proven cause of lung cancer. Human lungs are not designed to process hot gas containing hydrogen cyanide (a component of cigarette smoke) as well as toxic chemicals such as benzene, arsenic and formaldehyde.

How can you know in any particular case that the disease that a person has has been caused by smoking?
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Radix wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:57 pm
How can you know in any particular case that the disease that a person has has been caused by smoking?
Documented history of smoking, biochemical tumor and tissue markers, genetic alterations, mountains of medical research for the past 60 years. Take a class in the scientific method inclusive of biology and research methodology and it will help you understand.
Radix

Post by Radix »

dharmacorps wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:28 pm Documented history of smoking,

biochemical tumor and tissue markers, genetic alterations
Do they actually test for such things in an autopsy?
Take a class in the scientific method inclusive of biology and research methodology and it will help you understand.
Understand what? Why the smokers I know don't get sick?

I hate smoking. All the smokers I know are alive and kicking!! They make my life miserable, society quietly approves of them and protects them, the rights of smokers are, for all practical intents and purposes, above the rights of non-smokers.
Glenn Wallis
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Any disease progression is the result of a person's genetic makeup, other comorbidities, habits, plus environmental factors. Some people can smoke for fifty years and not get lung cancer, others smoke for a very short time and still get it.

Also, some countries are lenient with smoking regulations, others are very stringent. Depends on what each society tolerates.
Radix

Post by Radix »

Exactly. So it's not simply the case that smoking is dangerous. It's only dangerous for the weak.
Glenn Wallis