Sinus Drainage Problem

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Heaviside

Sinus Drainage Problem

Post by Heaviside »

I am having a tremendous problem with sinus drainage while meditating. The mucus collects in my throat and sets up a tremendous urge to cough that is compelling. I have tried inhalers and the like, but these cause side effects and cannot be used on a continuing basis. Has anyone had such a problem? If so, how do you combat it? Thanks.
Do the best you can with what you have to work with.
Goofaholix

Re: Sinus Drainage Problem

Post by Goofaholix »

Heaviside wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:23 pm I am having a tremendous problem with sinus drainage while meditating. The mucus collects in my throat and sets up a tremendous urge to cough that is compelling. I have tried inhalers and the like, but these cause side effects and cannot be used on a continuing basis. Has anyone had such a problem? If so, how do you combat it? Thanks.
Have you tried nasal rinsing? Jala Neti, NeilMed or similar. This made a big difference for me.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Goofaholix wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:48 pm
Heaviside wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:23 pm I am having a tremendous problem with sinus drainage while meditating. The mucus collects in my throat and sets up a tremendous urge to cough that is compelling. I have tried inhalers and the like, but these cause side effects and cannot be used on a continuing basis. Has anyone had such a problem? If so, how do you combat it? Thanks.
Have you tried nasal rinsing? Jala Neti, NeilMed or similar. This made a big difference for me.
:goodpost:
There are many videos on Youtube.
You can use any bottle which got a small hole in your nasal cavity.
This treatment was used in India and Sri Lanka for many thousands of years.
I think you can buy a cheap pot from an Indian shop.
I add some salt too. (first, dissolve water and keep it aside to separate to remove hard materials and use only the top water bases)

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hi Heaviside,

You could try gargling regularly with a half a teaspoonful of salt dissolved in warm water.

Drinking mineral water or spring water regularly instead of drinking tap water or other beverages might also be helpful

:anjali:

'
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Avoid certain food like milk too.
Milk promoter bacteria.
Generally salt kill bacteria,
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Heaviside

Post by Heaviside »

Thanks to everyone who replied. I have a neti pot, but never thought to use it immediately before meditating. I will give it a try along with gargling with salt water as well. Again, I appreciate your input.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Heaviside wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:20 pm Thanks to everyone who replied. I have a neti pot, but never thought to use it immediately before meditating. I will give it a try along with gargling with salt water as well. Again, I appreciate your input.
So is this not such a problem when you're not meditating? If so I'd investigate why that is
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Heaviside

Post by Heaviside »

An excellent thought. I actually experience it most of the time, but find it especially troublesome when meditating. Just as an update: it does work quite well for improving my mediation experience.