Recovery

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
greggorious

Recovery

Post by greggorious »

Are there any members in recovery here? Either substance abuse or behavioural addictions? I go to AA plus Recovery Dharma. Would be cool to reach out to other members in recovery.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
SarathW

Re: Recovery

Post by SarathW »

I think many of us are in recovery from sensual addiction.
:D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

I need a recovery from addiction of Dhamma.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Jack19990101 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:22 pm I need a recovery from addiction of Dhamma.
He therefore taught according to the level of attainment of whoever came to be trained, and depending on the time, place, and people and their status and state, he taught and trained them in ways that were suitable. He taught according to the ways of cause and effect, but he did not say that he was accomplished in Dhamma up to such and such a level for this would be an unseemly thing to do. The Lord was not addicted to speaking because it is not in harmony or appropriate to the status of a sage.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/tha ... ondon.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

I am, but I don't go to meetings any more so I don't know if i am. i no longer use intoxicants, however. :hello:
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

bpallister wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:18 pm I am, but I don't go to meetings any more so I don't know if i am. i no longer use intoxicants, however. :hello:
:thumbsup:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
iMeanWhatEvenIsThis

Post by iMeanWhatEvenIsThis »

In recovery and currently attend NA. I really enjoy finding people on the path who can also relate to the experiences substance abuse brings.
befriend

Post by befriend »

In AA they say take it one day at a time in buddhism we take it one life at a time. I used to abuse alcohol in my early teens and 20's then at about age 25 I took the five precepts under a teacher with other Buddhists. I didn't drink because I made a vow to not drink it was out of sight out of mind because it wasn't an option anymore. Plus drinking may lead to hell.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
confusedsoso

Post by confusedsoso »

iMeanWhatEvenIsThis wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:53 pm In recovery and currently attend NA. I really enjoy finding people on the path who can also relate to the experiences substance abuse brings.
I used to drink for a few years until I got gastritis and kept throwing up. Nowadays I dont even drink kombucha because the alcohol in it makes me feel tipsy. Alcohol takes away from my appreciation of life so I stopped for good.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

i started drinking kombucha this year, for my gut health. i don't notice any alcohol effect from it.
confusedsoso

Post by confusedsoso »

bpallister wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:56 am i started drinking kombucha this year, for my gut health. i don't notice any alcohol effect from it.
Kombucha has very little alcohol in it I think.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

greggorious wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:33 pm Are there any members in recovery here? Either substance abuse or behavioural addictions? I go to AA plus Recovery Dharma. Would be cool to reach out to other members in recovery.
:hello: YesI have-- AA.
denise

Post by denise »

hello all...would recommend to anyone with concerns about themselves or another to attend a meeting...don't go looking to fix anything...AA has many similar concepts to Buddhism...you will perhaps be invited to introduce yourself...there are people there that will not be fooled by any fronting of yours...if you think you got it all down...go to a meeting :group:
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

confusedsoso wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:23 pm
bpallister wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:56 am i started drinking kombucha this year, for my gut health. i don't notice any alcohol effect from it.
Kombucha has very little alcohol in it I think.
i never taste any. if i did, i would probably throw it out as i think it's gross now.