Can a future bhikkhu keep some of his belongings?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Mangaka

Can a future bhikkhu keep some of his belongings?

Post by Mangaka »

Hello, can a person who want to become a monk keep some of his belongings? Like Dhamma books, which can be used for future studies for example or nothing can be kept and that person must relinquish everything?
User13866

Re: Can a future bhikkhu keep some of his belongings?

Post by User13866 »

I think of it as like going to a prison or joining the army.

There are things allowable to a soldier/inmate and things unallowable.

You don't have to get rid of all of your stuff before you go but you can't take the stuff with you. There is usually a list of allowable requisites and you leave everything unallowable behind.

As to Dhamma books in particular it's a moot point but common sense dictates that you can't bring a library of books. The question is then could you bring some books?

Choosing which books are allowable is no easy matter.

The question of whether it is allowable can be set aside and we can ask whether you actually need to bring the books.

There are questions like

* Where are you ordaining?
* Who is your preceptor?
* Who will be your teacher?
* What study material is available?
* Can you donate books to the monastery?

These are much more important questions.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

If you haven't mastered the words of Tathagata before ordination then i would advise not cutting yourself off from the opportunity to do so by ordaining at a place where you won't be able to study it effficiently.

What it takes to study efficiently, how much one needs to learn and how to balance learning with developing qualities otherwise essential to being a monastic is a matter of individual variance.

This here is just scratching the surface of the broader issues that need to be resolved when considering to leave the circumstances of laity.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

I think in regards to Dhamma books the answer should be obvious, unless you need to travel or don't have space, it would seem reasonable to share them with other monks.

Monks can have bank accounts as long as a steward operates them.

You'll need to give up your clothes and underwear, maybe your sleeping bag, probably not your toiletries.

Other things you'd need to talk about with your teacher, but I'm pretty sure you'll need to give up your Xbox.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Mangaka

Post by Mangaka »

I reduced number to six books. I can try to ask and I will see.