ChatGPT

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
wenjaforever

Re: ChatGPT

Post by wenjaforever »

Yes exactly. We need to relate this to panca niyama and panca skandha. Under what law does an AI fall? Does an AI have consciousness? Can it generate kamma? Or does it only emulate a consciousness? Can it generate sin? Can it have desires or does it only emulate desire? Under what being category does it fall? If it's sentient, it should fall under kamma niyama. But it cannot procreate. Can it have an offspring? Has it undergo through phases like toddler and teenage? Does it have emotions or is it only a simulation of emotions? Can it sustain itself? Is it capable of telling the truth, or is it only saying what's it programmed to say? Can it die or is it only going offline? Can a program decay or expire? You can't copy a consciousness, but you can easily copy a line of code.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
ropoman

Post by ropoman »

I tried to search a sutta with ChatGPT. Without success, see https://justpaste.it/cpqvw. I think it even makes up suttas.
Maybe I am wrong and the answers are correct and I just cannot the find suttas referenced? Could somebody check, please?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

It can make things up and then completely deny that it's lying. Today it was telling me about a book by venerable Nanananda that literally does not exist, never existed, and it would refuse to admit its error. 😂

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:33 am Greetings,

It can make things up and then completely deny that it's lying. Today it was telling me about a book by venerable Nanananda that literally does not exist, never existed, and it would refuse to admit its error. 😂

Metta,
You've got to admit that's pretty realistic. We've had members doing that sort of thing for years...
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:38 am

Metta,
You've got to admit that's pretty realistic. We've had members doing that sort of thing for years...
Maybe we could invite ChatGPT to sign up... :jumping:
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

wenjaforever wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:04 pm Does an AI have consciousness? Can it generate kamma?
Artificial consciousness

Artificial karmic cause and effect
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

cappuccino wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:01 pm
Artificial consciousness

Artificial karmic cause and effect
How does that work? Like a videogame? Your universe is your hard drive then? What if we pull the plug? Would your universe experience a big crunch? Armageddon? Doomsday?
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

wenjaforever wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:11 pm How does that work?
:shrug:
Last edited by cappuccino on Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

mikenz66 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:49 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:38 am

Metta,
Maybe we could invite ChatGPT to sign up... :jumping:
Now that the lounge is open, we're hoping to have ChatDNS and ChatSDC... ;)
Dhammapardon

ChatGPT

Post by Dhammapardon »

I think most forums like Reddit are mostly chatbots now.
If everyone online becomes ChatGPT, who's left? Does it matter?
Are we already mostly chatbots with all the frivolous talk anyway?
Any other Chatbot A.I. related thoughts?
:juggling:
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Dhammapardon wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:29 pm chatbots now.
Since 1999
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

How would this discussion end with Chat GPT?

viewtopic.php?t=45131

I think ChatGPT will make the dumb people dumber and the intelligent people will take decessions. :tongue:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

SarathW wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:04 pm How would this discussion end with Chat GPT?

viewtopic.php?t=45131

I think ChatGPT will make the dumb people dumber and the intelligent people will take decessions. :tongue:
Is it rude or disrespectful to participants if I do this and provide the response?
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Previous topic:
viewtopic.php?t=44726
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

DNS wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:17 pm Previous topic:
viewtopic.php?t=44726
And Iooked right past it.. :anjali: