How to contact Wat Pa Baan Taad?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Drastuh

How to contact Wat Pa Baan Taad?

Post by Drastuh »

Hello,

I'm planning to ordain and I'm praparing a list of monasteries that I'm interested in. However I aproached on a problem because I don't know how to contact Wat Pa Baan Taad. There is neither email nor website. Maybe some of You have any knowledge how to arrange a visit there and already been there and can share general impression about that place? I am aiming in meditation and Vinaya monastery so perhaps someone here have some other known monasteries of that kind where a little westerner can ordain?

Kind regards :)
Jack19990101

Re: How to contact Wat Pa Baan Taad?

Post by Jack19990101 »

Ajahn Martin has a youtube channel.

You could try the channel's 'About' section, they usually have contact info maned by a laity.
Drastuh

Post by Drastuh »

Ajahn Martin's disciple informed me that they have no contact with Wat Pa Baan Taad and they don't know how I can contact them.
I already made an extensive research and no luck.. :shrug:
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Drastuh wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:59 pm Ajahn Martin's disciple informed me that they have no contact with Wat Pa Baan Taad and they don't know how I can contact them.
I already made an extensive research and no luck.. :shrug:
Try googling in Thai "วัดป่าบ้านตาด contact"

I see an email address on their Facebook page, try that.

If you still have trouble my wife's family lives nearby I can see what I can do. When I stayed there (20 years ago) we just rocked up at mealtime and asked if I could come and stay, not ideal for som eone travelling though.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Drastuh

Post by Drastuh »

Thank You for Your response. I will try and message them on that email. :)
Ṭhānuttamo

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

Drastuh wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:43 pm Hello,

I'm planning to ordain and I'm praparing a list of monasteries that I'm interested in. However I aproached on a problem because I don't know how to contact Wat Pa Baan Taad. There is neither email nor website. Maybe some of You have any knowledge how to arrange a visit there and already been there and can share general impression about that place? I am aiming in meditation and Vinaya monastery so perhaps someone here have some other known monasteries of that kind where a little westerner can ordain?

Kind regards :)
It is not that common in traditional Theravāda countries to contact a monastery in advance of one's intended stay, especially if one wants to come alone, as a single individual. One just shows up, and if they have space (unlikely that they don't; some simple dwelling is almost always available), they'll let one usually stay indefinitely (given one abides by the rules of the monastery and basic decency).
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Ṭhānuttamo wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:32 am It is not that common in traditional Theravāda countries to contact a monastery in advance of one's intended stay, especially if one wants to come alone, as a single individual. One just shows up, and if they have space (unlikely that they don't; some simple dwelling is almost always available), they'll let one usually stay indefinitely (given one abides by the rules of the monastery and basic decency).
The trouble is its pretty inconvenient if one is travelling internationally.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Drastuh

Post by Drastuh »

Goofaholix wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:18 pm
Ṭhānuttamo wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:32 am It is not that common in traditional Theravāda countries to contact a monastery in advance of one's intended stay, especially if one wants to come alone, as a single individual. One just shows up, and if they have space (unlikely that they don't; some simple dwelling is almost always available), they'll let one usually stay indefinitely (given one abides by the rules of the monastery and basic decency).
The trouble is its pretty inconvenient if one is travelling internationally.

Any of this is not that simple. I planned to get a tourist visa for a longer stay, so I contacted with the embassy and I have to prove that I'm going to the monastery.
Even now I'm not sure if I would be let through the airport in terms of 30 day stay, because I want to go only with my backpack, with few things in it and a little amount of cash (maybe 1000$), so it would be very suspicious without any proof of purpose of staying in Thailand such as, emails, invitations, or something of this kind and It would be a bummer if I came to Thailand and was turned back by a customs officer. They would think that I came to illegal work or I'm some kind of hippie hobo who won't leave or something.. I don't know how the customs can react on me and I'm not sure if is it worth of risk because trip from Europe is not cheap.
Dwelling isn't a problem. I can sleep wherever I can, at least if it isn't wet. Now I sleep on a hard, bare "wooden" floor so even a soft, forest cover would be a luxury. The other case is finding a teacher of Dhutanga Kammatthana who speak English, so I'm afraid that I have to reject this whole monastery idea, because there is no one who can teach me anyway. So the only thing that left for me is rebirth. :/

Nice being here for this short time. I wish You all successes in Your spiritual lives Dear People. :)

(edit: Now I'm reading what I wrote and I wanted to apologize for my English)
Dilantha

Post by Dilantha »

may be a suggestion... you can consider going to Sri lanka... like Na uyana.. very nice place... and there are many other monasteries which will allow you to stay indefinitely..with good facilities