The Mahāsaṅghika and other Traditions

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Ceisiwr

The Mahāsaṅghika and other Traditions

Post by Ceisiwr »

I’ve always quite liked how the Mahāsaṅghika viewed themselves and other traditions. Based on what we see below, whilst thinking their tradition was best, they still had a friendly view of the other schools. They saw the good in the other traditions, in other Buddhists who were practicing differently, even though they disagreed with them. One is reminded of the brahmavihārās here. I think it’s a good attitude to have, seeing the good in other Buddhists and traditions. It’s something I think we should see more of, particularly on online forums.
The Mahāsaṅghika school diligently
study the collected Suttas and teach
the true meaning, because they are
the source and the center. They wear
yellow robes.

The Dharmaguptaka school master
the flavor of the true way. They are
guides for the benefit of all. Their way
of expression is special. They wear
red robes.

The Sarvāstivāda school quickly gain
unobstructed knowledge, for the
Dhamma is their guide. They wear
black robes.

The Kaśyapīya school are diligent and
energetic in guarding sentient beings.
They wear magnolia robes.

The Mahīśāsaka school practice jhana,
and penetrate deeply. They wear blue
robes.
(T24, № 1465, p. 900, c12–18)
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
DNS
Site Admin

Re: The Mahāsaṅghika and other Traditions

Post by DNS »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:07 pm I’ve always quite liked how the Mahāsaṅghika viewed themselves and other traditions. Based on what we see below, whilst thinking their tradition was best, they still had a friendly view of the other schools. They saw the good in the other traditions, in other Buddhists who were practicing differently, even though they disagreed with them. One is reminded of the brahmavihārās here. I think it’s a good attitude to have, seeing the good in other Buddhists and traditions. It’s something I think we should see more of, particularly on online forums.
:thumbsup: I agree. And one of the things that I occasionally point out is that it's rare for a buddhist to be a 100% follower of one specific tradition (of buddhism). They might call themselves Theravada or Zen or Dzogchen, but their actual beliefs and practices are a mix of various buddhist traditions; sometimes even different religions. For example, they might call themselves Theravada, but still hold some beliefs that the Buddha is a cosmic Buddha, something akin to God, that all is illusion, that there is no past or future in an ultimate sense and other ideas that are not Theravada.

I remember a Theravada bhikkhuni in India telling me that she can't wait to pass away, so she can go meet and talk with the Buddha.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:07 pmI think it’s a good attitude to have, seeing the good in other Buddhists and traditions. It’s something I think we should see more of, particularly on online forums.
Yes, correct, but this goes against the grain of the world. People are now accustomed to curating their own technology-enabled echo chambers, and seeing divergent opinions as moral failures. In any discussion it should be recognised that our assumptions and presumptions are simply that, rather than matters of unequivocal universally-accepted fact - hence my preference for what I call "exploration" over debate.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
asahi

Post by asahi »

This maybe of interest to you .

Six Points of Reverent Harmony :
(Fo Guang Shan)

1. 【Physical harmony】 in living together:
Live without infringing upon the rights of others.

2. 【Verbal harmony】 through avoiding disputes:
Speak caring and kind words without arguing with others.

3. 【Mental harmony】 through shared happiness:
Extend good wishes and intentions by pursuing or sharing the same spiritual path.

4. 【Moral harmony】 through sharing the same precepts or disciplines :
Everyone is equal before the law.

5. 【Harmony in view】 through sharing the same understanding:
Establish common understanding to unite different perspectives.

6. 【Utility harmony】 through sharing things equally:
Have a balanced distribution of benefits.

Ps . Edited few words by me
No bashing No gossiping
superedan

Post by superedan »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:07 pm I’ve always quite liked how the Mahāsaṅghika viewed themselves and other traditions. Based on what we see below, whilst thinking their tradition was best, they still had a friendly view of the other schools. They saw the good in the other traditions, in other Buddhists who were practicing differently, even though they disagreed with them. One is reminded of the brahmavihārās here. I think it’s a good attitude to have, seeing the good in other Buddhists and traditions. It’s something I think we should see more of, particularly on online forums.
The Mahāsaṅghika school diligently
study the collected Suttas and teach
the true meaning, because they are
the source and the center. They wear
yellow robes.

The Dharmaguptaka school master
the flavor of the true way. They are
guides for the benefit of all. Their way
of expression is special. They wear
red robes.

The Sarvāstivāda school quickly gain
unobstructed knowledge, for the
Dhamma is their guide. They wear
black robes.

The Kaśyapīya school are diligent and
energetic in guarding sentient beings.
They wear magnolia robes.

The Mahīśāsaka school practice jhana,
and penetrate deeply. They wear blue
robes.
(T24, № 1465, p. 900, c12–18)
Mahayana Buddhism's beginnings are still a mystery; neither its beginning nor its location are known, and it is most likely that the movement developed over time and in various locations.
1v1 lol
Last edited by superedan on Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.