Is Nibbana independent?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Josaphat

Is Nibbana independent?

Post by Josaphat »

Dependent origination points to the fact that all dhammas arise in dependence on other dhammas. But Nibbana is itself a dhamma, no? Does this mean that there is one dhamma that is excluded from dependent origination?
Wander alone, like a rhinoceros.
santa100

Re: Is Nibbana independent?

Post by santa100 »

Josaphat wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:06 pm Dependent origination points to the fact that all dhammas arise in dependence on other dhammas. But Nibbana is itself a dhamma, no? Does this mean that there is one dhamma that is excluded from dependent origination?
Notice that dhamma ( conditioned AND un-conditioned phenomena ) is a bigger set to sankhara ( only conditioned phenemena ). So dependent origination applies to sankhara, ie. a sankhara arises and ceases based on conditions. Nibbana is un-conditioned, hence doesn't arise and cease based on the conditions of dependent origination. Sorta like the sun-rise/sun-set effects. While it seems to arise and cease depending on the time of the day, it's really always there.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Think about the time we did not have mobile phones, computers, and the internet.
That free from hassles was always there.
In the same way think about a time we did not have attachment, aversion, and ignorance.
That is called Nibbana. That state was always there.
However refrain from objectifying the Nibbana if you do so you make Nibbana a condition state as proclaimed by pre-Buddhist sages.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

So you asking if Nibbana contains Self, or is some sort of Transcendental Self? Or what you asking?
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Nibbana is the extinction of aversion, delusion and greed.

It is not dependent upon anything, rather, it is the absence of dependence which is nibbana.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:25 pm Nibbana is the extinction of aversion, delusion and greed.
That describes the third stage
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Josaphat

Post by Josaphat »

Mahabrahma wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:22 pm So you asking if Nibbana contains Self, or is some sort of Transcendental Self? Or what you asking?
No. I was asking whether or not Nibbana is an exception to the dependent origination doctrine. From previous answers this seems to be the case. I got confused by the difference between sankharas and dhammas.
Wander alone, like a rhinoceros.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

I think another great aspect of Nibbana is the access to Omniscience.

-Dhammapada.
asahi

Post by asahi »

This is a invalid question since you do not know what is nibbana . No one in the forum knows , with exception everyone being told nibbana is absence of lobha byapada moha , a state while arahant is still alive but not after passing away . You cannot ask something you do not know what it is . What more to illustrate or define anything unknown to you . Is it a permanent state in the hereafter ?!
No bashing No gossiping
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Mahabrahma wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:38 am I think another great aspect of Nibbana is the access to Omniscience.
Mahavira claimed to have omniscience. The Buddha claimed to have the three super knowledges. Recollection of past lives. Divine eye which sees beings pass away and be reborn. The knowledge of the destruction of the effluents.

The Buddha tore asunder all claims made by Mahavira to be in possession of Omniscience.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Mahabrahma wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:38 am I think another great aspect of Nibbana is the access to Omniscience.
In fact - it is appropriate that Mahabrahma hear about the omniscience of Mahabrahma.

From DN 11
"Then the monk attained to such a state of concentration that the way leading to the gods of the retinue of Brahma appeared in his centered mind. So he approached the gods of the retinue of Brahma and, on arrival, asked them, 'Friends, where do these four great elements — the earth property, the liquid property, the fire property, and the wind property — cease without remainder?'

"When this was said, the gods of the retinue of Brahma said to the monk, 'We also don't know where the four great elements... cease without remainder. But there is Brahma, the Great Brahma, the Conqueror, the Unconquered, the All-Seeing, All-Powerful, the Sovereign Lord, the Maker, Creator, Chief, Appointer and Ruler, Father of All That Have Been and Shall Be. He is higher and more sublime than we. He should know where the four great elements... cease without remainder.'

"'But where, friends, is the Great Brahma now?'

"'Monk, we also don't know where Brahma is or in what way Brahma is. But when signs appear, light shines forth, and a radiance appears, Brahma will appear. For these are the portents of Brahma's appearance: light shines forth and a radiance appears.'

"Then it was not long before Brahma appeared.

"So the monk approached the Great Brahma and, on arrival, said, 'Friend, where do these four great elements — the earth property, the liquid property, the fire property, and the wind property — cease without remainder?'

"When this was said, the Great Brahma said to the monk, 'I, monk, am Brahma, the Great Brahma, the Conqueror, the Unconquered, the All-Seeing, All-Powerful, the Sovereign Lord, the Maker, Creator, Chief, Appointer and Ruler, Father of All That Have Been and Shall Be.'

A second time, the monk said to the Great Brahma, 'Friend, I didn't ask you if you were Brahma, the Great Brahma, the Conqueror, the Unconquered, the All-Seeing, All-Powerful, the Sovereign Lord, the Maker, Creator, Chief, Appointer and Ruler, Father of All That Have Been and Shall Be. I asked you where these four great elements — the earth property, the liquid property, the fire property, and the wind property — cease without remainder.'

"A second time, the Great Brahma said to the monk, 'I, monk, am Brahma, the Great Brahma, the Conqueror, the Unconquered, the All-Seeing, All-Powerful, the Sovereign Lord, the Maker, Creator, Chief, Appointer and Ruler, Father of All That Have Been and Shall Be.'

"A third time, the monk said to the Great Brahma, 'Friend, I didn't ask you if you were Brahma, the Great Brahma, the Conqueror, the Unconquered, the All-Seeing, All-Powerful, the Sovereign Lord, the Maker, Creator, Chief, Appointer and Ruler, Father of All That Have Been and Shall Be. I asked you where these four great elements — the earth property, the liquid property, the fire property, and the wind property — cease without remainder.'

"Then the Great Brahma, taking the monk by the arm and leading him off to one side, said to him, 'These gods of the retinue of Brahma believe, "There is nothing that the Great Brahma does not know. There is nothing that the Great Brahma does not see. There is nothing of which the Great Brahma is unaware. There is nothing that the Great Brahma has not realized." That is why I did not say in their presence that I, too, don't know where the four great elements... cease without remainder. So you have acted wrongly, acted incorrectly, in bypassing the Blessed One in search of an answer to this question elsewhere. Go right back to the Blessed One and, on arrival, ask him this question. However he answers it, you should take it to heart.'
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

What are you talking about?

https://suttacentral.net/search?query=Omniscience
2.6. Division of Human Types by Six
1. There is the person who, in regard to doctrines he has not heard of before, thoroughly understands by his own effort the truths, and obtains therein omniscience as well as mastery over the fruits.
6.1.4. Dilemma the Fifty-Fifth. Asceticism

‘Both then also, O king, and now too, that is still the only path. And it is along that path that the Bodisat attained to Buddhahood. Although the Bodisat, O king, exerting himself strenuously, reduced the food he took till he had decreased it to nothing at all, and by that disuse of food he became weak in mind, yet when he returned little by little to the use of solid food, it was by that path that before long he attained to Buddhahood. And that only has been the path along which all the Tathāgatas reached to the attainment of the insight of omniscience.
6.1.4. Dilemma the Fifty-Fifth. Asceticism

'Great king, when the Blessed One attained omniscience at the foot of the tree of Knowledge, that was to him an ordination. There was no conferring of ordination upon him at the hands of others—in the way that the Blessed One laid down regulations for his disciples, never to be transgressed by them their lives long!’
Last edited by Mahabrahma on Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Dhammapada.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

asahi wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:33 am Is it a permanent state in the hereafter ?!
Yes
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

SarathW wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:48 pm Think about the time we did not have mobile phones, computers, and the internet.
In the same way think about a time we did not have attachment, aversion, and ignorance.
Beautiful words, Sarath!!
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

mjaviem wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:42 am
SarathW wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:48 pm Think about the time we did not have mobile phones, computers, and the internet.
Beautiful words, Sarath!!
I like them too.

Just Be
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.