3 characteristics of conditioned things.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Alex123

3 characteristics of conditioned things.

Post by Alex123 »

Hello all,
In AN 3:47 it says that there are 3 characteristics of saṅkhata (uppādo, vayo, ṭhitassa aññathattaṃ)

Arising, passing away, alteration while staying.

What, if any, significance of "alteration while staying" being listed last? Wouldn't it make more sense to change the order to:
"Arising, alteration while staying, passing away"?

Thanks,
:namaste:
Bundokji

Re: 3 characteristics of conditioned things.

Post by Bundokji »

I think it is emphasizing the circular over the linear.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Bundokji wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:32 pm I think it is emphasizing the circular over the linear.
What do you mean?
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Alex123 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:03 pm
Bundokji wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:32 pm I think it is emphasizing the circular over the linear.
What do you mean?
Linearity and circularity present polarities of some sort where sequence makes a difference in directing attention. To have the "alteration while staying" at the end of a polarity is to pay attention to otherwiseness. To having "passing away" list last is to perceive a regularity where what happens in between is merely accidental.

Take the declaration of a new year as an example. For those who perceive the sequence as ""Arising, alteration while staying, passing away" the declaration is a real event, comes with celebrations and fire works, and plans to get set things straight. When things turn otherwise, they blame the circumstances while seeking a new end and a new beginning to celebrate and hope. For those who perceive the sequence as "Arising, passing away, alteration while staying" the declaration of a new year is a non-event, and the regularity is a new form of deception that most likely will end in a disappointment.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
justpractice

Post by justpractice »

Alex123 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:25 pm Hello all,
In AN 3:47 it says that there are 3 characteristics of saṅkhata (uppādo, vayo, ṭhitassa aññathattaṃ)

What, if any, significance of "alteration while staying" being listed last? Wouldn't it make more sense to change the order to:
Good question. This is a frequent contemplation for me, and one that I find fruitful to clarify.

If you are so inclined to a structural way of understanding, I highly recommend Ven. Akincano's essay on this very subject: https://pathpress.org/uppadavaya/
"Whoever avoids sensual desires
— as he would, with his foot,
the head of a snake —
goes beyond, mindful,
this attachment in the world." - Sn 4.1
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

It might be worth noting that in the aññathatta bit, the aññathā doesn't just mean "otherwise", but also has the meaning of "erroneous, wrong, false, etc.", so adding on the suffix that makes it abstract means that it might possibly mean something like "wrongness, falsehood, etc" is also discerned.

None of the three translations I've got access to (Thanissaro, Sujato, and BB) render it like that, but it would explain why it is different from the "arising/decay" pair and doesn't split them up. At least, it gives the verse a bit more depth and resonance.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:45 pm It might be worth noting that in the aññathatta bit, the aññathā doesn't just mean "otherwise", but also has the meaning of "erroneous, wrong, false, etc.", so adding on the suffix that makes it abstract means that it might possibly mean something like "wrongness, falsehood, etc" is also discerned.

None of the three translations I've got access to (Thanissaro, Sujato, and BB) render it like that, but it would explain why it is different from the "arising/decay" pair and doesn't split them up. At least, it gives the verse a bit more depth and resonance.
Could it just be because that word order keeps the metre of the Pali?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:50 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:45 pm It might be worth noting that in the aññathatta bit, the aññathā doesn't just mean "otherwise", but also has the meaning of "erroneous, wrong, false, etc.", so adding on the suffix that makes it abstract means that it might possibly mean something like "wrongness, falsehood, etc" is also discerned.

Could it just be because that word order keeps the metre of the Pali?
Yes, very likely. I remember reading somewhere that the compilers liked lists of words to be in order of increasing syllable numbers. But it does seem to read better the way it is.
RobertoAnces

Post by RobertoAnces »

Thanks,
Who knows, my guess is that Buddha normally when something has chronological order, or order of importance... he says it in order. In this case, since there is no order, it simply says it as it has a better sonority, or may be even order is altered to prevent us of thinking that contemplating anicca means that we have to see something arise, stay, pass away.

All three characteristics are implicit simultaneously in things that are transitory (anicca). To contemplate arising, passing and staying don't mean to take the time to se things arise, stay, cease chronologically in time, no need to wait ... you never would be able to contemplate anicca in your aggregates, you can se your aggregates stay while altering and arising and passing away is implicit, is simultaneous, you where born even if you didn't remember your birth, and you will die an don't need to wait to your death to know that aggregates are anicca. Same knowing that aggregates are anicca your death is granted, already here.

I think that Ajahn Chah gives a glass as an example in one of his speeches, when you see a glass it is obvious that at some point it arose (someone made it) and at some point it will cease (it will break). In the same way if you see a potter making a glass it is obvious that it will stay some time and then it will cease. If you see a broken glass ... so always the tree at same time, seeing one means seen the tree, is not chronological, no need to wait or to observe for some time to see them.
Ajahn Chah wrote:What we call uncertainty here is the Buddha. The Buddha is the Dhamma. The Dhamma is the characteristic of uncertainty. Whoever sees the uncertainty of things sees the unchanging reality of them. That’s what the Dhamma is like. And that is the Buddha. If you see the Dhamma you see the Buddha, seeing the Buddha, you see the Dhamma. If you know aniccam ̇ , uncertainty, you will let go of things and not grasp onto them.

You say, “Don’t break my glass!” Can you prevent something that’s breakable from breaking? If it doesn’t break now it will break later on. If you don’t break it, someone else will. If someone else doesn’t break it, one of the chickens will! The Buddha says to accept this. He penetrated the truth of these things, seeing that this glass is already broken. Whenever you use this glass you should reflect that it’s already broken. Do you understand this? The Buddha’s understanding was like this. He saw the broken glass within the unbroken one. Whenever its time is up it will break. Develop this kind of understanding. Use the glass, look after it, until when, one day, it slips out of your hand... “Smash!”... no problem. Why is there no problem? Because you saw its brokenness before it broke!

But usually people say, “I love this glass so much, may it never break.” Later on the dog breaks it... “I’ll kill that damn dog!” You hate the dog for breaking your glass. If one of your children breaks it you’ll hate them too. Why is this? Because you’ve dammed yourself up, the water can’t flow. You’ve made a dam without a spillway. The only thing the dam can do is burst, right? When you make a dam you must make a spillway also. When the water rises up too high, the water can flow off safely. When it’s full to the brim you open your spillway. You have to have a safety valve like this. Impermanence is the safety valve of the Noble Ones. If you have this “safety valve” you will be at peace.

Standing, walking, sitting, lying down, practice constantly, using sati to watch over and protect the mind. This is samadhi and wisdom. They are both the same thing, but they have different aspects.

If we really see uncertainty clearly, we will see that which is certain. The certainty is that things must inevitably be this way, they cannot be otherwise. Do you understand? Knowing just this much you can know the Buddha, you can rightly do reverence to him.

As long as you don’t throw out the Buddha you won’t suffer. As soon as you throw out the Buddha you will experience suffering. As soon as you throw out the reflections on transience, imperfection and ownerlessness you’ll have suffering. If you can practice just this much it’s enough; suffering won’t arise, or if it does arise you can settle it easily, and it will be a cause for suffering not arising in the future. This is the end of our practice, at the point where suffering doesn’t arise. And why doesn’t suffering arise? Because we have sorted out the cause of suffering, samudaya.
That's my guess but maybe overrationalizing, maybe just no significance, Metta.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks,
Interesting.
Could you give me the sutta reference please?
What I can recall the order is uppado, thithi and vayo.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
santa100

Post by santa100 »

SarathW wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:58 am Interesting.
Could you give me the sutta reference please?
What I can recall the order is uppado, thithi and vayo.
AN 3.47
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Perhaps aññathatta means something like "uncertainty", then. It would read:

"An arising is clear, a vanishing is clear, and uncertainty while staying is clear". All this is clear of conditioned things.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

mjaviem wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:37 am

Perhaps aññathatta means something like "uncertainty", then. It would read:

"An arising is clear, a vanishing is clear, and uncertainty while staying is clear". All this is clear of conditioned things.
Bhanga literally is annihilation or is destroyed
But there is a sutta called SN26 cakku sutta which explain these 3 conditions uppada thithi bhanga in a better manner as arising continuation and rebirth of eye .
I feel that phena sutta too explains the technical aspect of these three conditions through rupa vedana sangna sankara vingnana . Though uppada thithi are clear bhanga makes a question to be cleared as it is not being destroyed . But as said in cakku sutta a means of rearising or reappearance if the energy involved .
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Not a problem from a technical perspective, those 3 characteristics in AN 3.47 are elements of a Set interface, not a List interface.
asahi

Post by asahi »

Actually , it should be 《arising - in between duration - ceasing》and not describes as 《arising - staying - ceasing》 . Nothing stays .
No bashing No gossiping