Is there a teaching on Paramis in Early Buddhism?

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Alex123

Is there a teaching on Paramis in Early Buddhism?

Post by Alex123 »

Hello all,

I know that in much later developments of Buddhism, there became this emphasis on gathering parami over countless of lives.

From what I've read in the earlier suttas, I don't recollect such a teaching. At least not explicitly in the 4.5 Nikayas. While there are mentions about some people having bright or dull faculties, lots or little dust in the eyes, that is about it.

Thanks.
Ceisiwr

Re: Is there a teaching on Paramis in Early Buddhism?

Post by Ceisiwr »

Alex123 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:28 pm Hello all,

I know that in much later developments of Buddhism, there became this emphasis on gathering parami over countless of lives.

From what I've read in the earlier suttas, I don't recollect such a teaching. At least not explicitly in the 4.5 Nikayas. While there are mentions about some people having bright or dull faculties, lots or little dust in the eyes, that is about it.

Thanks.
They appear in later commentarial literature in Theravada. I think they are in Sarvastivada too, but unsure where. The basis for them is the Jataka tales.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Alex,

They're not taught as a set, or a path, in the Sutta Pitaka, but they are included there as wholesome qualities worthy of cultivation.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Thank you all.
:namaste:
robertk

Post by robertk »

The Cariyapitaka is part of the Tipitaka.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

robertk wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:24 am The Cariyapitaka is part of the Tipitaka.
Milindapanha is also part of Tipitaka. From what I understand Cariyapitaka it is much later than the main suttas...

Horner (2000), p. vi, for instance, writes that the Cariyapitaka is "[c]onsidered to be post-Asokan...."
https://encyclopediaofbuddhism.org/wiki ... ite_note-2

Horner (2000), p. iii, in which she writes: "Cp ... is usually regarded as the fifteenth and last book in the Khuddakanikaya. The Digha-bhanakas (reciters) excluded it, however, from the Sutta-pitaka though conceding that the Majjhima-bhanakas accepted it together with Bv and Ap...." Horner's sources for this are the Digha Nikaya's (DN) and Vinaya's commentaries and DN's subcommentary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cariy%C4% ... ite_note-4