Everything Everywhere All at Once

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DNS
Site Admin

Everything Everywhere All at Once

Post by DNS »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everythin ... ll_at_Once

This movie is nominated for best picture and several other awards at tomorrow's Academy Awards (Oscars). I haven't seen it yet, but it appears to have some philosophical and spiritual overtones to it.

Michelle Yeoh, a buddhist, is nominated for Best Actress at the Oscars tomorrow.
bodom

Re: Everything Everywhere All at Once

Post by bodom »

DNS wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:05 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everythin ... ll_at_Once

This movie is nominated for best picture and several other awards at tomorrow's Academy Awards (Oscars). I haven't seen it yet, but it appears to have some philosophical and spiritual overtones to it.

Michelle Yeoh, a buddhist, is nominated for Best Actress at the Oscars tomorrow.
It's absolutely one of my favorite movies of all time. It's truly a masterpiece!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

bodom wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:46 pm It's absolutely one of my favorite movies of all time. It's truly a masterpiece!
Thanks, good to know, then I'll definitely go see that.

Hope it wins tonight!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Everything Everywhere All at Once had 11 nominations and won in 7 categories, including Best Actress to Michelle Yeoh and the biggest award of the night; Best Picture.
bodom

Post by bodom »

DNS wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:38 am Everything Everywhere All at Once had 11 nominations and won in 7 categories, including Best Actress to Michelle Yeoh and the biggest award of the night; Best Picture.
:heart:

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

I wanted to like it, but found it to be a jumble of special effects looking for a story line. I gave up after about half an hour.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

A few people in work have been talking about this.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

It was good and had a high factor of surrealism/WTF which was effective. Glad to see movies like that win awards because it will open the doors more more weird stuff in theatres outside the usual Hollywood tropes. I must have seen dozens of Michelle Yeoh Hong Kong Movies in the 90s--I didn't know she was a Buddhist but it makes sense with how she carries herself.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

I just watched

very good..

there is a very important Buddhist teaching that appears in the film...
Goofaholix wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:44 pm I wanted to like it, but found it to be a jumble of special effects looking for a story line. I gave up after about half an hour.
watch until the end..

you will understand why the movie won the oscar

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

I tried to watch it, but it had young people emulating an adult relationship at the very beginning. I saw them "kissing" repeatedly. I hope they are okay but I decided not to view this film.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

I lasted nearly an hour and that was about 50 minutes too long... jumbled mess with more woke agendas than you can shake a stick at... it's definitely Oscar material :toilet:
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

BrokenBones wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:38 am I lasted nearly an hour and that was about 50 minutes too long... jumbled mess with more woke agendas than you can shake a stick at... it's definitely Oscar material :toilet:
Watched about 10 minutes and knew that it was uber woke. Local press here in Malaysia in rapture with Michelle Yeoh's participation trophy. What ever happened to Gary Cooper?
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
Dxm10

Post by Dxm10 »

I've watched it recently. It's about an atheist problem, not a buddhist one. It tries to fight the "everything is meaningless" idea with "we give meaning to every moment" which does not work.

Yup, existence in samsara is meaningless. The solution is to leave samsara. The black beagle is not a metaphor for nibbana, but for "existential dread".

I've once contemplated in this way (that everything is meaningless) out of curiosity for 1-2 hours and even the second day after I woke up, I felt very, very bad. That was strange because I never feel bad, especially that bad. I didn't have the courage to contemplate in that way even for 30 seconds ever since. I've then googled and found out that's called "existential dread" and there are many memes about it. Contemplating in that way is a big no-no.

The contemplation in that way leads to the idea that action (kamma) is meaningless and that's what gives rise to that insanely bad sensation. I don't know, maybe humans or any living beings are not meant to contemplate in that way. The idea is wrong of course, action is not meaningless. There is good kamma (actions), bad kamma and then there is the 3rd... "kamma for the ending of kamma".

Besides the idea being wrong, contemplating in that way leads to insane suffering very fast. I don't have the courage to do it for even 30 seconds, I only did it once in my life by mistake.

I don't think the movie solves that atheist problem at all. Also, basically any european movie makes you think more than it. It's only considered a movie that makes you think among american movies. For those of us that are european, it's nothing special :coffee:European vs American cinema
Radix

Post by Radix »

I haven't seen it, but it reminds me of "Parasite" and the hype around it. I got too bored with that one about half an hour in.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis