A new fluent translation of SN 47.4 Sāla, one of the most important suttas on satipaṭṭhāna

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
frank k

A new fluent translation of SN 47.4 Sāla, one of the most important suttas on satipaṭṭhāna

Post by frank k »

http://notesonthedhamma.blogspot.com/20 ... -sala.html
The sutta probably only takes 3 minutes to read,

but it's one you should probably revisit frequently until you really get it.

I've translated it in a way it should be much easier to grasp the important points that no one ever talks about.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
Joe.c

Re: A new fluent translation of SN 47.4 Sāla, one of the most important suttas on satipaṭṭhāna

Post by Joe.c »

Well.. did you search the term “acirapabbajitā adhunāgatā”?

There are more to it. You can’t just run with it just reading 1 sutta. There are total of 5 sutta that mentioned this term.

In MN 67, buddha clearly said that
For either, I should lead the mendicant Saṅgha, or else Sāriputta and Moggallāna.”
. That mean at least an arahant can lead.

Surely a puthujjana can’t teach satipatthana because they don’t have right view. Even a sekha (below non returner) will have difficulty to teach because the samadhi hasn’t been fully developed.

Are you saying a new comer can just practice satipatthana without hearing/learning from the sekha or asekha? That is just impossible as well.

If you look at SN 47.4, do you know who Buddha ask mendicants to supported the new comer? These mendicant needs to be an expert in satipatthana for sure. I would imagine at least non returner or above due to samadhi (of course an arahant is better).

Can’t be a new comer learn from new comer. It is just illogical.
SN 47.4 wrote:There the Buddha addressed the mendicants:

“Mendicants, those mendicants who are junior—recently gone forth, newly come to this teaching and training—should be encouraged, supported, and established in the four kinds of mindfulness meditation.
May you be relax, happy, comfortable and free of dukkhas from hearing true dhamma.
May you gain unshakable confidence in Buddha, Dhamma and (Ariya) Sangha.
Learn about Buddha/Dhamma Characters.
frank k

Re: A new fluent translation of SN 47.4 Sāla, one of the most important suttas on satipaṭṭhāna

Post by frank k »

Joe.c wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:52 pm Well.. did you search the term “acirapabbajitā adhunāgatā”?
What are you going on about?
Where in my translation does it make you think it says an unqualified teacher is teaching new monks?
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages