Four Noble Truths vs Four ignorables?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Four Noble Truths vs Four ignorables?

Post by SarathW »

Four Noble Truths vs Four ignorable?

What is your opinion on this?

Venerable Ellawala Vijithananda argues that the four limbs in Four Noble Truths are equally applicable to the wrong views as well.

The video is in Sinhalese and includes as a source reference only.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Re: Four Noble Truths vs Four ignorables?

Post by SarathW »

And what is ignorance, what is the origin of ignorance, what is the cessation of ignorance, what is the way leading to the cessation of ignorance? Not knowing about dukkha, not knowing about the origin of dukkha, not knowing about the cessation of dukkha, not knowing about the way leading to the cessation of dukkha — this is called ignorance.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dha ... vijja.html
There appear to be four ignoble.
Can we say these are the Four Ignoble Truths?
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Translate the contents, at least in part, if you want an opinion. You're killin' me Sarath with the Sinhala videos we can't understand. :tongue:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

dharmacorps wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:17 pm Translate the contents, at least in part, if you want an opinion. You're killin' me Sarath with the Sinhala videos we can't understand. :tongue:
Basically what he saying is there is an opposite of the Four Noble Truths. (Which is applicable to non-Ariya perhaps)
It is similar to Right Noble Eightfold Path and the wrong eight fold path practiced by ignobles.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

SarathW wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:08 pm
And what is ignorance, what is the origin of ignorance, what is the cessation of ignorance, what is the way leading to the cessation of ignorance? Not knowing about dukkha, not knowing about the origin of dukkha, not knowing about the cessation of dukkha, not knowing about the way leading to the cessation of dukkha — this is called ignorance.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dha ... vijja.html
There appear to be four ignoble.
Can we say these are the Four Ignoble Truths?
No. No. This is wisdom! When you conceive of the idea “dukkha” and “cause of dukkha” and “cessation of dukkha” and “path leading to the cessation of dukkha” - you are merely pondering in arbitrary concepts.

To not think “dukkha” … etc … is to not grasp at concepts. And by not grasping at concepts, we are perfect in our wisdom!
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
nahihua535

Post by nahihua535 »

I believe the Buddha taught that there is a difference between sensual pleasures and meaningful pleasures. So it's perfectly okay for me to go out on a starry night and stargaze because I enjoy it. I find it meaningful and worth my time. But the sensual pleasures are just masking the dukkha, like taking an aspirin for a headache. Eventually the aspirin wears off and I have to take another one, unless I figure out what is causing the headache in the first place.