Causes and Solutions to Climate Change

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Sha Bac

Re: Causes and Solutions to Climate Change

Post by Sha Bac »

Stop driving. Walk.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Adam1234 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:14 pm Stop driving. Walk.
That works for some people, living in safe towns and cities. Others need their cars to get to work, to do their work, drop children off at school, shop, and meet people. And also to stay safe. When I last worked, I had to drive 70 miles a day just to get to work and back. I didn't like it, but had no option.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:18 pm
That works for some people, living in safe towns and cities. Others need their cars to get to work, to do their work, drop children off at school, shop, and meet people. And also to stay safe. When I last worked, I had to drive 70 miles a day just to get to work and back. I didn't like it, but had no option.
Funny how you mention staying safe, when the automobile is a tool used for so many criminal purposes, like drive by shootings, kidnapping, and drug dealing. Also hit and runs, which creates an odd dilemma: walk, and risk getting hit by a car, or drive and risk getting in a car wreck.

The automobile industry gives rise to many social, economic, and environmental problems. There should be a small grocery store within a mile of everyone. Walk for daily food. Instead, people pay for a car and then "save" by buying in bulk at Walmart. The automobile is a multi billion dollar industry which bankrupts some people. Many people work just to afford a vehicle and the expenses that come with it. It gives rise to gyms because people don't use their bodies. And "insurance" which allows you to get away with harming people in your car. It's a bogus industry and culture.

Driving should be reduced by 65 to 70 percent. Buddha wouldn't drive one, nor would Jesus.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Adam1234 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:44 pm
Funny how you mention staying safe, when the automobile is a tool used for so many criminal purposes, like drive by shootings, kidnapping, and drug dealing. Also hit and runs, which creates an odd dilemma: walk, and risk getting hit by a car, or drive and risk getting in a car wreck.
Sure, all that happens. I'm thinking more of the single woman who doesn't want to deal with unwanted attention and fear on public transport, or parents wanting to get their children to school where there are no pavements (like where I live).
There should be a small grocery store within a mile of everyone.
OK, how is that to be achieved? Expropriate private dwellings and force the owners to change occupation? Or demolish the isolated dwellings and erect tent cities around small stores?
Driving should be reduced by 65 to 70 percent
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:28 pm
Adam1234 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:44 pm

Sure, all that happens. I'm thinking more of the single woman who doesn't want to deal with unwanted attention and fear on public transport, or parents wanting to get their children to school where there are no pavements (like where I live).
There should be a small grocery store within a mile of everyone.
OK, how is that to be achieved? Expropriate private dwellings and force the owners to change occupation? Or demolish the isolated dwellings and erect tent cities around small stores?
Driving should be reduced by 65 to 70 percent
Well the problem is that so much of American "culture" is outsourced to other lands. Why do mass shootings happen in America but nowhere else? Europeans walk more. There's more cultural solutions to problems. Walking creates culture, like layered clothing. Look at how the founding fathers dressed! Layered clothing is healthier too. This is why people drive around in February wearing t shirts. It's ludicrous.

And the people are selfish and gluttonous. The people don't care and aren't creative at all. Bike manufacturers can employ women of all ages. Now the bikes are made in Mexico because it's cheaper and the labor is more compartmentalized. Who makes clothing? It's not done here! People are lazy and unimaginative, doing things NOBODY wants to do, hence labor shortage.

And "agriculturalists" have replaced farmers. Who needs 1000 acres? That's insane! And it's all done with machines which displace thousands of workers who then end up dealing Crack. And this is another problem...Noone controls their food either. Hormones and pesticides are used without anybody knowing.

The solution is to RE-ENVISION the town. The American college campus was originally designed to resemble a small town. That's why there's almost no driving there. The automobile desolate the republic.
Sha Bac

Post by Sha Bac »

Unwanted attention? What do you think social media is? These women are doing ONLYFANS now.

Think about evolution. During the course of human evolution we were WALKING. can you imagine giving a 16 year old girl two horses pulling a carriage? That's what's happening! It's greedy and gluttonous. We are supposed to walk and let people see us.

The women don't want LESS ATTENTION. they scream for attention constantly. If anything, there's NOT ENOUGH people looking at them.

And all sorts of perfectly good occupations are outlawed because you drive to "work". Prostitution should be legal and if you couldn't drive, it would be! Growing Marijuana is only recently becoming legal which is also ridiculous. Carrying food should be a JOB. think about it...running errands, LITERALLY. There are octogenarians driving to Walmart which is absurd! The automobile creates a FARCE economy. People use it for desire instead of what needs to be done.

At this point, spiritual awakening is happening. It should be used to create a new class of citizen. Spiritual awakening and meditation and yoga can expand the consciousness and generate innovative thought. Americans need to do what needs to be done and come together. The automobile separates people, hence social media. It's all distorted.
asahi

Post by asahi »

SarathW wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:04 pm
asahi wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:28 pm
SarathW wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:52 am Sounds like a good idea.
Carbon offset credit is a way the Westenrs (and rich nations) continue to increase their consumption at the expense of poor nations like Sri Lanka.
Now there are talks to sell the carbon offset of Sri Lanka to pay off their debts given to corrupt politicians by China and other rich nations.
It seems you have a lot of misconception on China with regards to Sri Lanka state of affairs .
(I am not of China nationality in case you have doubt) The main problems are the SL goverment themselves are long corrupted with faulty administration or improper country management without which the country dont just go bankruptcy just at a snap of fingers . Would you say the same with Greece went bankrupt because of China corrupt politicians ?
🤣
Large, rich, and powerful nations have the responsibility for the not-so-fortunate countries.
For instance, Japan refused to give funds to corrupt politicians.
Oh ya , did you always see any rich guy helps the poors .
No bashing No gossiping
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Adam1234 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:51 pm
Well the problem is that so much of American "culture" is outsourced to other lands. Why do mass shootings happen in America but nowhere else? Europeans walk more. There's more cultural solutions to problems. Walking creates culture, like layered clothing. Look at how the founding fathers dressed! Layered clothing is healthier too. This is why people drive around in February wearing t shirts. It's ludicrous.

And the people are selfish and gluttonous. The people don't care and aren't creative at all. Bike manufacturers can employ women of all ages. Now the bikes are made in Mexico because it's cheaper and the labor is more compartmentalized. Who makes clothing? It's not done here! People are lazy and unimaginative, doing things NOBODY wants to do, hence labor shortage.

And "agriculturalists" have replaced farmers. Who needs 1000 acres? That's insane! And it's all done with machines which displace thousands of workers who then end up dealing Crack. And this is another problem...Noone controls their food either. Hormones and pesticides are used without anybody knowing.

The solution is to RE-ENVISION the town. The American college campus was originally designed to resemble a small town. That's why there's almost no driving there. The automobile desolate the republic.
Re-envisioning is fine. the difficult part (i.e. the "solution to climate change") is to convince enough people to make your particular and unique vision work...
Radix

Post by Radix »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:29 amRe-envisioning is fine. the difficult part (i.e. the "solution to climate change") is to convince enough people to make your particular and unique vision work...
If it's about people getting to be convinced, then it only takes someone to convince them otherwise. IOW, if something doesn't come "naturally", intuitively to people, it's bound to be unstable, unreliable, subject to change.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

why do people think climate should not change

:coffee:
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

That is easy to say but not always practical. You would need good public transport to be in place. Personally I never learnt to drive, but I have started lessons this past year. I had to, because where I work the public transport is so infrequent that it takes me two hours to get home (or an hour and half, depending how I do it) via bus and train compared to 35 minutes by car.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Radix wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:56 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:29 amRe-envisioning is fine. the difficult part (i.e. the "solution to climate change") is to convince enough people to make your particular and unique vision work...
If it's about people getting to be convinced, then it only takes someone to convince them otherwise. IOW, if something doesn't come "naturally", intuitively to people, it's bound to be unstable, unreliable, subject to change.
Again, I don't understand what you mean here. I would have thought that all conditioned phenomena are unstable, unreliable and subject to change; regardless of coming naturally or intuitively.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:15 pm why do people think climate should not change

:coffee:
Because they understand the difference between weather and climate?

People in the northern hemisphere would expect the weather to get hotter in the Summer and colder in the Winter. They would not expect heatwaves, hurricanes, snow storms, flooding, etc., to become more severe and more frequent by the decade, unless there was some underling factor driving that change.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:40 pm unless there was some … factor driving that change.
inconstancy…
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Radix

Post by Radix »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:44 pm
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:40 pm unless there was some … factor driving that change.
inconstancy…
Which can be evil when you have reason to think that it was caused by human action.

When some negative event is caused by something that can indubitably be considered as caused by vis maior (like a massive asteroid impact), one can accept it, even if it is catastrophic. But when something bad happens and there's good reason to believe it's been caused by humans, normally, one feels responsible, and cannot just accept it and gloss over it.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis