Fasting for uposatha...

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Fasting for uposatha...

Post by Sam Vara »

...Do you think oat milk and soya milk are allowable?
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Fasting for uposatha...

Post by DNS »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:36 pm ...Do you think oat milk and soya milk are allowable?
I assume you mean after 12 noon? It's food and nutrition as it has calories, but sounds very similar to the allowable fruit juice, which also has calories. Non dairy milks are sort of like the 'fruit-juice' of oats and soybeans and it's liquid, so sounds okay to me.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

DNS wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:28 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:36 pm ...Do you think oat milk and soya milk are allowable?
I assume you mean after 12 noon? It's food and nutrition as it has calories, but sounds very similar to the allowable fruit juice, which also has calories. Non dairy milks are sort of like the 'fruit-juice' of oats and soybeans and it's liquid, so sounds okay to me.
Thanks - that makes sense. Too late for today, as I'm about to retire for the night, but I don't like green tea so can avoid it next month! :anjali:
asahi

Post by asahi »

Strictly speaking only plain water is allowed . Other added flavors drinks are not allowed . If a bit lenient many would take tea , coffee , coconut , soya , fruit juice , and cocoa drinks .
No bashing No gossiping
Mumfie

Post by Mumfie »

asahi wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:37 am Strictly speaking only plain water is allowed.
Do you have a source for this?

If it were true, then it would mean that a layperson observing the uposatha would have to observe even stricter restraints than are required of bhikkhus and samaneras.
“Hobgoblin, nor foul fiend,
Shall daunt his spirit;”
John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress II)
BKh

Post by BKh »

asahi wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:37 am Strictly speaking only plain water is allowed.
This is flat out wrong.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

DNS wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:28 pm
I assume you mean after 12 noon? ..
Allowable even after 12 noon
for lay people. :tongue:
DNS wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:28 pm It's food and nutrition as it has calories, but sounds very similar to the allowable fruit juice, which also has calories.
Seems like a cunning measure. No such guage like "calories" has been given for judging food items.
DNS wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:28 pm It's food and nutrition as it has calories, but sounds very similar to the allowable fruit juice, which also has calories. Non dairy milks are sort of like the 'fruit-juice' of oats and soybeans and it's liquid, so sounds okay to me.
Ha ha.
Even rice is Non-diary.
Oats and soy are grains which are strictly unallowed.

Generally people are cunning when it comes to judge allowables. :tongue:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Here is a good list of allowables by some famous traditions in Theravada:

https://americanmonk.org/vinaya-compari ... llowances/

Note: soy milk and chocolate are allowed at Dhammayut and Wat Pah Pong but not Wat Khao and Pa-Auk.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

DNS wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:21 pm Here is a good list of allowables by some famous traditions in Theravada:

Note: soy milk and chocolate are allowed at Dhammayut and Wat Pah Pong but not Wat Khao and Pa-Auk.
That's helpful, thanks. It's good to have some guidelines, and I certainly don't want to have a stricter regime (albeit for only half a day!) than monastics. I saw lots of soya drinks in Malaysia, and wondered if Buddhists there keeping uposatha drank them after mid-day. It's nice to have some sort of sense that you are keeping in line with what other folk do; it's an aid to will-power.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Also found this online:
Though solid foods are disallowed outside of the morning period, other substances were allowed in the afternoon or evening, especially where there is a need such as sickness. Strained fruit and vegetable juices are allowable in the afternoon, especially for thirsty monks and nuns. Then the five traditional Indian 'medicines' of ghee, oil, butter/cheese, honey and sugar were allowed in the afternoon as a 'tonic', to be used for such reasons as when a monk or nun had been working hard, when it was very cold, or when they had received insufficient almsfood that morning. Clear meat or bean broths are allowed in the afternoon for very sick monks or nuns. Drinks like tea, herbal infusions, ginger, cocoa and coffee are also allowable in the afternoon as much as a monk or nun requires. Milk, however, is the subject of some controversy. Some monks say it is allowable in the afternoon, some say it isn't and our tradition says it 'aint.
https://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebsut035.htm
asahi

Post by asahi »

I listened to one Theravada monk talks on observing attha-sila and also a mahayana monk on obseving 8 precepts , both said if the liquid has sediments such as milk , fruit juice , soya drink etc it is not allowed . If honey mix with plain water is allowed because no sedimentation . Then your observance is Pure without blemish . But if you disagrees , thats not my problem at all . If you have health problems (best consults some medical expertise) you have to take some liquids that is another matter . If you take it because of sickness that is called intake medicine .
Happy observing attha-sila .
No bashing No gossiping
Mumfie

Post by Mumfie »

asahi wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:04 am But if you disagrees , thats not my problem at all .
I don't in fact disagree with what you've stated in this post. The dubious statement was the one in your earlier post: "Strictly speaking only plain water is allowed."
“Hobgoblin, nor foul fiend,
Shall daunt his spirit;”
John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress II)
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

DNS wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:21 pm Here is a good list of allowables by some famous traditions in Theravada:
Yes. Unallowables are allowed at Non-theravada monasteries and unallowed at Theravada monasteries.
DNS wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:29 pm Also found this online:
Though solid foods are disallowed outside of the morning period, other substances were allowed in the afternoon or evening, especially where there is a need such as sickness. Strained fruit and vegetable juices are allowable in the afternoon, especially for thirsty monks and nuns. Then the five traditional Indian 'medicines' of ghee, oil, butter/cheese, honey and sugar were allowed in the afternoon as a 'tonic', to be used for such reasons as when a monk or nun had been working hard, when it was very cold, or when they had received insufficient almsfood that morning. Clear meat or bean broths are allowed in the afternoon for very sick monks or nuns. Drinks like tea, herbal infusions, ginger, cocoa and coffee are also allowable in the afternoon as much as a monk or nun requires. Milk, however, is the subject of some controversy. Some monks say it is allowable in the afternoon, some say it isn't and our tradition says it 'aint.
https://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebsut035.htm
Very bad lax Vinaya. This is the norm in Non-Theravada or money-handling monasteries.
Radix

Post by Radix »

Surely someone seriously interested in holding uposatha will not seek workarounds and "clearer definitions".
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Radix

Post by Radix »

Eko Care wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:50 pmOats and soy are grains which are strictly unallowed.
So some people eat buckwheat or quinoa on fast days, because technically, they are not grains.
Generally people are cunning when it comes to judge allowables.
Those Pharisees!
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis