The Essence of the Orthodox Theravada

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Eko Care

The Essence of the Orthodox Theravada

Post by Eko Care »

Deleted by the OP.
Deleted
I'll try to post a clear script in the future.
Last edited by Eko Care on Thu May 04, 2023 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: The Essence of the Orthodox Theravada

Post by Sam Vara »

Eko Care wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:54 pm

If you have any interest about the content, you'll forgive about the poor formatting and very poor translation.
We will? I'm happy to forgive, but I couldn't make any sense of that at all. :shrug:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

This looks like word salad, and from the parts I can decode, the remainder looks as if it's not worth the effort.

Sidenote - I'm not sure how this constitutes a "discussion topic".

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I agree with the above two posts; what a jumbled mess. It looks like someone copied and pasted a bad translation from google translate or something.

The Essence of Orthodox Theravada? No need for that mess, it's simple:

Sutta Pitaka
Vinaya Pitaka
Abhidhamma Pitaka
Visuddhimagga
Commentaries

That's it!
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

retrofuturist wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:49 pm Greetings,

This looks like word salad, and from the parts I can decode, the remainder looks as if it's not worth the effort.

Sidenote - I'm not sure how this constitutes a "discussion topic".

Metta,
Paul. :)
Disagree. It's a perfect example of Abhidhammic teaching/language/rhetoric, so obviously requires further study.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

DNS wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:52 pm The Essence of Orthodox Theravada? No need for that mess, it's simple:

Sutta Pitaka
Vinaya Pitaka
Abhidhamma Pitaka
Visuddhimagga
Commentaries
Reading that one could be excused for thinking that Classical Theravada is a collection of books.

I would have thought that among other things its a collection of practices (vinaya, meditation, folk buddhism etc) that may or may not align or contradict with some of these books.

I think the essense of Classical Theravada when compared with the alternastive is probably more reliance on contemporary teachers, dating back to Buddhaghosa.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Radix

Post by Radix »

The essence of Orthodox Theravada is the conviction that
1. there is a living tradition that goes back to the Buddha, an unbroken lineage (consisting of teachers and students);
2. this tradition has the right understanding of what the Buddha taught and meant;
3. said tradition has preserved the Buddha's teachings and is capable to continue to do so into the future.
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Radix wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:20 pm 1. there is a living tradition that goes back to the Buddha, an unbroken lineage (consisting of teachers and students);
Buddha is the teacher

There is no lineage
Radix

Post by Radix »

cappuccino wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:02 pmBuddha is the teacher

There is no lineage
If there is no lineage, how do you know that Buddha is the teacher?
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Radix wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:20 pm The essence of Orthodox Theravada is the conviction that
1. there is a living tradition that goes back to the Buddha, an unbroken lineage (consisting of teachers and students);
2. this tradition has the right understanding of what the Buddha taught and meant;
3. said tradition has preserved the Buddha's teachings and is capable to continue to do so into the future.
Oh no dear, the essence was about the fundamental theories.

It should be at least something like the below.

A brief Comparison of Fundamentals with Other Sects like Sarvastivada and Madyamaka.
At 18:46 timestamp:
Now i think it's clear that the practice would completely and greatly differ from each other if the fundamentals are different. So it's very vital if we want to practice the Theravada path. We have to understand the Theravada-fundamentals very clearly. I'm not saying that this is correct or other traditions are wrong. But the disaster would be very pity, "thinking that we are following the Theravada doctrine some would be following another sort of a practice". It's okay it's the right of a person to follow whatever doctrine he or she likes, but we have to be very clear on which path we are following. So that is the purpose of this lecture.
Last edited by Eko Care on Fri May 05, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Radix wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:04 pm If there is no lineage, how do you know that Buddha is the teacher?
He is the Awakened one
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Radix wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:20 pm The essence of Orthodox Theravada is the conviction that
Sounds like how Zen describe themselves, probably every other tradition too.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Radix

Post by Radix »

Eko Care wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:04 pmOh no dear, the essence was about the fundamental theories.
Dear?

What you're talking about aren't "theories", they are doctrines, dogmas. "Doctrine" and "dogma" are not dirty words.
Glenn Wallis
Radix

Post by Radix »

Goofaholix wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:11 pm
Sounds like how Zen describe themselves, probably every other tradition too.
Relevant to the OP author, EBT cannot claim those three items (given his inclination, I surmise that this was the most important contradistinction he was after).
Other Buddhist schools need additional items for their definitions, since they include later teachings which they acknowledge were not taught by the Buddha himself.
Glenn Wallis
Gwi II

Post by Gwi II »

Eko Care wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:54 pm ...
I'll try to post a clear script in the future.
Here are the five main ones:
1. Pāḷi canon --> scripture

2. Aṭṭhakathā --> explanation of Pāḷi canon

3. Great Council I--III --> lineage
(only Theravādo lineage is pure [proven])

4. Council IV--VI --> the Pāḷi canon was unveiled
(last council in Myanmar (addition of 3 books [in
Thailand there was also a council, but THERE WAS
THE PRESENCE OF THE LAWY SO IT TOO DIFFICULT
TO AVOWED]))

5. Visuddhimaggo --> meditation practice
Gwi: "There are only-two Sakaṽādins:
Theraṽādå&Ṽibhajjaṽādå, the rest are
nonsakaṽādins!"