Struggling with race

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Kidet0

Struggling with race

Post by Kidet0 »

My background: I'm African.

I once asked a monk if karma had anything to do with my race and he didn't sugarcoat his response. He said that I have simply taken the form of what my past inclinations have been and that that applies to everyone. That answer put a lot of things into perspective for me and I have since reflected on why I am the way I am less and less frequently. Now I know that such reflections can be grouped as part of the unanswered questions of the Sabbāsava Sutta. But, still, my heart is not settled.

The venerable also said that if I ever wanted to ordain, I probably shouldn't go to countries like Thailand or Myanmar where the populace is more obsessed with lighter skin as I would face some difficulty there. But I think he also stated that that was just his opinion. He added that a country like Sri Lanka would be the best for me and I understand why he would say that. Some Sri Lankans can almost be confused for Africans based on their complexion.

Being African is something that I just can't seem to shake off because ever since I was a child, I have compared Africans to people of other races, who I bundled up together given that they all have a lighter complexion. I always think that it is expected of people of other races to have a negative impression of me. Even here on DW, I have seen some heartbreaking comments about race that make me want to crawl into a hole and never come out. Although those were comments about African Americans, I guess it would apply to me too. I will not go to that side of DW again. People have so many right and wrong ideas about Africans. This identity/personality view seems to be so deeply ingrained in my "karmic imprint" and I suspect that the fixation on physical appearance is what keeps me making rounds in the beginningless samsara.

About 5 years ago I met a German Vipassana teacher who told me she was excited to come to Kenya because she didn't think that Africans could meditate. Was that supposed to mean that Africans are incapable of cultivating wholesome mental states solely based on their race? I'm not even angered by that statement, I'm only shocked as to how people from other parts of the world could have ideas that are so out there about African humans.

Many things in this world remind me of my race and where it ranks on the totem pole (the bottom, just in case anyone's wondering). This is just my perception of the situation. Even looking through Buddhist art, the wardens of hell are always depicted as not only having dark but downright black skin. The saintly persons on the other hand, well... You know how it goes. I think the saṅkhāras of bitterness and resentment that I keep generating around this matter are giving strength to the bhavanga-citta causing the transmigration through samsara to not only continue seamlessly, but to also keep giving rise to this being that I call "Me" in worlds whose conditions support conflicts along racial lines, for instance, this one we're in.

It just baffles me how I came to be born into a society whose ethos is so different from my own view of the world. In Kenya, people are deeply conditioned to Christianity and are therefore very intolerant of many issues like sexuality, gender identity, discussions on death, etc. They're all considered satanic issues. And yes, I do find a strong correlation between Christianity and intolerance (or lack of compassion) but I'm not here to condemn other people's beliefs. Basically, the general public here is very vitriolic about the manifold manifestations of human nature that are just a bundle of the five aggregates. I, on the other hand, have a more compassionate approach to issues and I'm accommodating of people of a vast range of lifestyles and beliefs. I could cry just thinking about the great fortune of though being born in this unfavorable part of the world, it is still a buddhasasana where there's a chance to remove all greed, hatred, and delusion.

This year alone I have witnessed tragic road accidents. I've seen consciousness leave a lady's body and her corneas turning cloudy right before me. I've seen brains splattered on the ground. I've seen a head tucked neatly into the chest cavity. And all that was on the road to my cousin's funeral who died by his own hand a week before. It was devastating to witness these events. Since then, I feel like all my goals and life ambitions have been dimmed by the elephant in the room; the inevitable fate of all beings. The helplessness of it all is just too overwhelming for me.

At this point, I completely lack the will or motivation to keep up with the status quo. I have come to the realization that this rat race of working to earn money is futile, especially since we are all going to perish one day. The ordinary things that people do every day--working, taking care of their dwellings, maintaining and protecting their prized possessions, politicking, voting, watching TV, seeking out sexual experiences, etc.--I find these things to be so repetitive, dull, and uninteresting because everybody does them right from the womb to the grave without ever stopping for even a second to reflect on the "dukkhaness" of it all. This lay life sure is dusty. The world is dusty.

For almost 10 years now, I haven't done a lot of things that my peers do. I don't consume any intoxicants like alcohol or drugs, I don't buy fashionable clothes and shoes, I don't own fancy gadgets and electronics, I don't go out to nightclubs, I don't have a spouse, and I don't have dependents or mouths to feed. I also don't have an interest in politics or civil matters relating to ordinary citizens. I'm quite dispassionate towards many worldly affairs like continuing with school education, marriage, raising a family, as well as building/buying a house. I always feel out of place here in my home country. The only thing my heart longs for is the effacement of all mental conditioning. From the time I wake up in the morning, every moment is spent thinking about joining a community of those who have few worldly desires like me and have chosen the path of spirituality--a path of cultivating virtue and wisdom.

The problem is that I always feel my race is holding me back from renouncing the household life. I just don't want to go to all these places where I'm going to stand out for being African. Because of the way the world has come to be, being Caucasian or Hispanic or any other light-complexion race in a Buddhist community feels normal. For example, people quickly become fond of white people almost anywhere in the world. On the other hand, people feel uncomfortable and threatened by Africans. Deep down in my heart, I feel like being African in a Buddhist environment will be looked upon as activism even though this humble man just wants out of samsara. Even if I were ever ordained, I feel like other Buddhists would pressure me to "bring Buddhism to my people".

Whether this is all conditioning or esteem issues, it's a real cause for vexation in this life for me.
TRobinson465

Re: Struggling with race

Post by TRobinson465 »

two things.

1. Race and kamma are not intrinsically linked as in one race is bad kamma and another is good. however kamma can play a role in your race/nationality based on when you lived in accordance to your kamma. The example i like to use. Someone born Jewish in the US in the 1930s is of very different kamma than someone who was born Jewish in Nazi Germany in the 1930s. Someone being born in Italy during the height of the roman empire is of a very different kamma than someone born in Italy during the dark ages. The kamma of someone being born with dark or easily tannable skin in a culture where dark skin is seen as low class (like much of Asia) is very different than the kamma of someone being born with dark or easily tannable skin in a culture where tan skin is sought after as a sign of being well travelled (a lot of the industrialized west).

2. All things are impermanent, dont attach too much to your identity in this life whatever the case. we have all been men, we have all been women, we have all been white/black/asian and every race imaginable. Strive for liberation/make merit with diligence, and if you dont reach the final goal in this life than at least itll be easier in your next.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
robertk

Post by robertk »

Is kusala citta Sri Lankan or European or African?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

As the first Ugandan Buddhist monk, the most venerable Bhante Bhikkhu Buddharakkhita has ambitions to train 54 novices, one for every African nation.
I have personally met Bhante Buddharakkhita. He is a wonderful teacher.
I suggest you keep in contact with him.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... meditation

https://ugandabuddhistcenter.org/
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
BKh

Post by BKh »

SarathW wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:26 am I suggest you keep in contact with him.
I second that. Please reach out to him. Not because you need an African teacher. Mostly because you don't need a racist German teacher.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Something I read about the two Chief Disciples was that they were from the south and they had dark skin. It was commonly believed that they were most qualified to take over after Buddha to lead the community.

And here is a picture of Black Tara:

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Inedible wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:49 am Something I read about the two Chief Disciples was that they were from the south and they had dark skin. It was commonly believed that they were most qualified to take over after Buddha to lead the community.

And here is a picture of Black Tara:

:goodpost:
Statue of Moggallana, depicting his dark skin color (blue, black).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maudgalyayana

In Sri Lanka, monks are divided according to the caste system.
I do not consider these monks as real Buddha's disciples.
When you come to discrimination we all are a victim and perpetrators of discrimination!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

This might be of interest to you... Buddhism and the Race Question https://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh200_Malala ... estion.pdf
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
BKh

Post by BKh »

SarathW wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:35 am In Sri Lanka, monks are divided according to the caste system.
If I'm not mistaken, the Amarapura Nikāya does not restrict its membership to a specific caste.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Kidet0 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:16 am My background: I'm African.
u r already dispassionate ... u should surely become monk. dont let human life pass by .. dont die like layman.. u got perception of wastage of human existance.. its a great thing.. dont worry about race... if you wear monk robes, no one will harm you. maybe u face verbal racism by some stupid racists but u can assume it as just sound coming and going. also someone doing racism is very less but disadvantage of not living monk life is million times more worse. also if you die as layman and come back as human, u might again face racism. so better to become monk.

usually no one will do racism openly, if you are a monk u dont worry about it as u live with other monks, eat alms food and mind your business. no one will come just to tease you and even if they did, u ignore them. racism is everywhere but human life and perception of drawbacks of human existance is very rare... even if someone verbally abuse you, just show compassion and move on.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

i want you to become monk and live rest of life as monk. u cant escape racism by being layman.. if you become monk even if someone did racism, u can tolerate very easily due to mental development.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Dear Kidet0 :hello:

My impression from your OP is that you are a very intelligent and sensitive person and you already have a lot of the answers. Perhaps it's more about actually implementing and living this wisdom that you already know.

A couple of comments. Being black is not an issue in many places outside Africa. London, for example, in my experience, has so many black people from all sorts of different places, that's you wouldn't stand out at all. Paris, Geneva, etc etc. I teach in Bern, Switzerland, and I have 3 black students in one class (though it is unusual). Some of them have had unpleasant racist experiences, others not. And Bern is quite small and relatively conservative (at least the older generation). But in many many places, it is not as bad as you fear, at least not as obvious. Sure people hold all sorts of bizarre beliefs and racism is probably the dumbest thing ever invented by mankind, but at some stage it's good to say "NOT MY PROBLEM". Because it's their problem. Unless they seriously make it your problem, which fortunately is rare.

I'm not sure if you've lived elsewhere, but you might find that Kenya has a lot of good and Europe/USA/Australia lots of problems, so this notion that you had the bad karma to be born in Africa, well, I'm not sure about that at all. Besides being born in a more challenging environment (and I'm not sure it is) may be better for Dhamma practice.

A stay in a temple in the UK might be something to consider, or at least to contact some monastics there and get some good advice.

I'm sorry about these traumatic accidents you have witnessed. Sounds horrible. Developing some peace in the midst of all that must surely be a challenge.

Good luck!
_/|\_
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

The U.S. is 14% Black but that is counting the nation as a whole; in the urban areas the percentages are much higher, so there would likely be no discrimination or racism experienced in America. I believe it would be about the same in other nations as the world is becoming more diverse through migration, immigration.

One of the most "politically incorrect" suttas is MN 135 which discusses some of the deeds that lead to good status or bad status and even in that sutta, there is no mention of race.
"So it is the way people live that makes them how they are, whether short-lived or long lived, sickly or healthy, ugly or lovely, insignificant or illustrious, poor or rich, in a low class or eminent family, or witless or wise. Sentient beings are the owners of their deeds and heir to their deeds. Deeds are their womb, their relative, and their refuge. It is deeds that divide beings into inferior and superior.”
https://suttacentral.net/mn135/en/sujato
Birth makes no Brahmin, nor non-Brahmin, makes; it is life‘s doing that mold the Brahmin true. Their lives mold farmers, tradesmen, merchants, and serfs. Their lives mold robbers, soldiers, chaplains, and kings. By birth is not one an out-caste. By birth is not one a Brahmin. By deeds is one an out-caste. By deeds is one a Brahmin.
(Majjhima Nikaya 98, Vasettha Sutta 57-59)
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

DNS :bow: :thumbsup:
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

So, bhikkhus any kind of form whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near, must with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus:

'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not myself.'

Anatta-lakkhana Sutta: The Discourse on the Not-self Characteristic