What should I do if I’m having trouble choosing between Theravada and Vajrayana Buddhism?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Dhammapardon

Re: What should I do if I’m having trouble choosing between Theravada and Vajrayana Buddhism?

Post by Dhammapardon »

Probably first clarify what you're seeking to yourself. Then see if either of those things has it. If still can't determine, maybe try some from both and then examine if either brings you closer to what you seek.
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
Goofaholix

Re: What should I do if I’m having trouble choosing between Theravada and Vajrayana Buddhism?

Post by Goofaholix »

Do you have to choose? If the choice isn't yet obvious presumably you're not ready to choose.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Cause_and_Effect

Post by Cause_and_Effect »

Gami47 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:50 pm:namaste:
For me it was always about authenticity.
Get a copy of this
in-the-buddhas-words-9780861719969_hr.jpg
It's the starting point, and also this site
https://accesstoinsight.org/

Remember that the Theravada Pali Canon is accepted by both Mahayana and Vajrayana, but not the reverse.
So start at the original teachings, then see if you feel any need to go to anything else.

"Therein monks, that Dimension should be known wherein the eye ceases and the perception of forms fades away...the ear... the nose...the tongue... the body ceases and the perception of touch fades away...

That Dimension should be known wherein mentality ceases and the perception of mind-objects fades away.
That Dimension should be known; that Dimension should be known."

(S. IV. 98) - The Dimension beyond the All
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

All those tantric practice, goddess/bodhisattva worship, mantra recitation, fire offering rituals....

Don't sound Buddha's teachings to me at all.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

I don't think you'll have many people suggesting Vajrayana in this forum.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

In order for practice to bear fruit, most of us need the right support. A teacher, who can provide guidance and a solid community to practice with. Id check out those. They may well prove to be more important that the specific flavour of the Dhamma/Dharma you decide on.
_/|\_
Agnikan

Post by Agnikan »

I’ve been told that there is something called Tantric Theravada.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Agnikan wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:13 am I’ve been told that there is something called Tantric Theravada.
People can invent all sort of new terms. We even have Secular Theravada; modern Theravada, Classical Theravada...

I think we should try use the original term Vibhajjavada.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Gami47 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:50 pm...
Experiment with each and pick one that meets the criteria set in AN 8.53.