dhamma tour

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
confusedlayman

dhamma tour

Post by confusedlayman »

I want to visit all buddhist important places as given in sutta.. what are the place i should visit?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
DNS
Site Admin

Re: dhamma tour

Post by DNS »

The four most important are described in DN 16 and all good pilgrimage tours include at least these four:

1. Lumbini, Nepal
2. Bodh Gaya
3. Sarnath
4. Kushinagar

“Ananda, there are four places the sight of which will arouse strong emotion in those with faith. Which four? Here the Tathagata (enlightened one) was born, this is the first place. Here the Tathagata attained Enlightenment, this is the second place. Here the Tathagata set in motion the Wheel of the Dhamma, this is the third place. Here the Tathagata attained final Nibbana without remainder, this is the fourth place. The monk or nun, layman or laywoman, who has faith should visit these places. And anyone who dies while making a pilgrimage to these places with a devout heart will, at the breaking up of the body, be reborn in heaven.”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Besides the above four, some other good places to visit and meditate at include:

Sravasti (the Buddha spent 20 years here)
Rajgir, Vulture Peak (one of the favorite places for the Buddha to meditate; also Sariputta)
Nalanda (now a functioning university again)
Ganges River
Naranjara River
Kapilavastu (the palace life)
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

If you do go on tour, there is a wonderful guidebook which has the suttas which were taught at each place, as well as a description of the places as they were, and who lived in each place, and all sorts of interesting things.
It's a free guidebook available online somewhere.

I've been to Bodh Gaya, Benares, the Deer Park, and Rajgir/Vultures Peak. I would love to go again some day, the sense of connection to the dhamma is very strong at those places, I felt.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:51 am If you do go on tour, there is a wonderful guidebook which has the suttas which were taught at each place, as well as a description of the places as they were, and who lived in each place, and all sorts of interesting things.

I've been to Bodh Gaya, Benares, the Deer Park, and Rajgir/Vultures Peak. I would love to go again some day, the sense of connection to the dhamma is very strong at those places, I felt.
Sadhu!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
abhinav1

Post by abhinav1 »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:51 am If you do go on tour, there is a wonderful guidebook which has the suttas which were taught at each place, as well as a description of the places as they were, and who lived in each place, and all sorts of interesting things.

Thanks James, I think you are referring to the e-book - Along the Path - it is available as free pdf download here - https://store.pariyatti.org/along-the-path-3